Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Steveg

Default Plastic vent lids cracked by sun

We bought a new 2018 24’ Alumilite in December. We notice in mid July that the sun had baked and cracked the very thin plastic vent lids in both the bathroom and the bedroom. The plastic was very thin, maybe 1/32”. We were about to have a thunderstorm and something told me to check our trailer. Both lids had cracks. The one in the bedroom had a 3 square inch piece fall out. We secured black poly over them both while braving lightning and rain. We have ordered a metal carport to park under, but the installation is 60 days out. In 7 months of sun exposure the lids fell completely apart. Has anyone else experienced this? I have ordered Maxxair fans to replace them. I called the dealer in Columbus GA and they said they would ship out new ones right away. They have not done so, for it’s been a week, and it is only 2 day shipping from here.
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #2
Restorium

They sell covers for the vents.
Here's one as an example;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roof-Vent-C....Xrv+vent.TRS0
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
They sell covers for the vents.
Here's one as an example;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roof-Vent-C....Xrv+vent.TRS0
I am aware that I can buy a new one. The problem for me is two fold. 1. It is in warranty. 2. It is less than a year old. Is this a part that has to be replaced every six months? Does everyone else have paper thin plastic as we do? If the factory puts thin, undependable parts on, I’ll just upgrade to a fantastic fan or something else.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveg View Post
I am aware that I can buy a new one. The problem for me is two fold. 1. It is in warranty. 2. It is less than a year old. Is this a part that has to be replaced every six months? Does everyone else have paper thin plastic as we do? If the factory puts thin, undependable parts on, I’ll just upgrade to a fantastic fan or something else.
Did you check out the link I provided? Protective covers for the covers. I'm not sure that they come with these from the manufacturer. Had to add them on our rig.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Restorium

I see you must have bought an Ameri-Lite?

From what I'm seeing at the manufacturer they don't come with the protective covers for the vents. Once you get your new lid it would be a good upgrade.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
exjay

first thing I did was but a maxxair cover when I bought mine. pretty thin material I noticed.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

The VENT LIDS are extremely thin, in my recent purchase too; but also cheap at $12-$15/each in pairs from Camco; the Vent Lid COVERS (MAXXAIR OR FANTASTIC?) ARE about $25/each w/ 5-year warranty; LIDS, to my knowledge, have no warranty, and MANY, MANY were damaged by recent HAIL STORMS **, (MANY states, nation-wide?); lids take about 5-10-min to replace, if someone didn't mess up hinges w/ Dicor SPARE LIDS are always a good idea, but many can get by w/ gorilla tape or ETERNABOND TAPE REPAIRS while waiting. (** many recent stories of HAIL going right thu lids, roofs, vent lid covers, windshields)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Steveg

Hadn’t thought of keeping a spare lid. I put in two Maxxair fans which have much thicker lids, but having a spare on hand is a good idea. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
atreis

No hail storms here this year (fortunately). I've always used vent covers on my trailers. They last for at least a decade (as long as I've owned a trailer) and also let you have the vent open when it's raining. I've never had to replace a vent lid.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
AmeriLite21

Default MaxxAir covers for vents

When we bought our trailer in 2007 the dealer suggested the MaxxAir covers for the vent lids. We thought just an add-on sale to make more profit. It turned out to be one of the best buys we have made. The siding on the trailer has numerous hail dents from sitting outside for the last 11 years, but no broken vent lids from hail. And.. the only damage to the MaxxAir covers is the MaxxAir labels are about worn off.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
Steveg

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Maxairre covers. I will likely do that soon. I have to decide if I’m going to place any solar panels on the roof. I understand that the covers can shade the panels. I also wondered if the increased air drag has any effect on mileage.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
atreis

They'll only shade the panels when the sun is at a sharp angle to the roof (dawn/dusk) and coming from the right direction. I have 340 watts of solar on my roof.

Given the horrible aerodynamics of trailers in the first place, adding covers is highly unlikely to make a noticeable difference.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
AmeriLite21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveg View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Maxairre covers. I will likely do that soon. I have to decide if I’m going to place any solar panels on the roof. I understand that the covers can shade the panels. I also wondered if the increased air drag has any effect on mileage.
The vent covers have an aerodynamic shape and are only about ten inches high. They would present much less drag than the roof mounted AC. As they were added on when we first got the trailer I have no before/after comparison.
'01 Dodge RAM 1500 4X4 O/R Quad Cab SLT
AmeriLite21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
[email protected]

Default Vent over bathroom

We bought our Ameri-lite about two years ago. Yesterday I was covering the camper for the summer (too hot in Florida to camp now) and noticed the vent over the bathroom was completely disintegrated. Luckily we haven't had any bad rains and had no water damage. This product sucks! Only two years and it's already unusable. I had a truck camper with a vent on top and it was 15 years old and still in good shape. And no I'm not about to put covers over my vent. I'm replacing it with a far better one that will last. If this is represented of how Gulfstream builds their camper? This will be the last one I purchase from them.
cowbone55@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
cch123

My vents cracked and flew off this weekend while travelling. What is the brand of these vents. I need to get replacement lids. Only 2 years old. Very poor quality.
cch123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap vent lids