Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
howermj

Default Advice on Hail Damage

I left my coach for a week while I went to a wedding...only to come back to reports of 45 MPH nickle size hail. According to the camp host where I was parked, the wind was blowing the hail horizontally. Doesn't look like any damage to the roof, but the passenger side of the coach has lots of little microfractures in the paint, and several dings in the aluminum bay doors (I stopped counting at 20 on one door). The whole side of the coach got pounded in the same way. I know that dings in fiberglass can lead to delamination over time because of compression (then expansion) beneath...so off to the shop I go for an inspection.

Does anybody have experience with this?
howermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
tarheel

Default Re: Advice on Hail Damage

I'm sure you insurance will cover all your damage, however if you are full timing in it, you may be inconvenienced getting it taken care of. Two years ago I had to have my entire coach repainted as a result of an employee in the storage yard mowing weeds with a riding mower in a gravel covered area around my coach and there were hundreds of paint dings on the front and both sides. My coach was in the paint shop for over three weeks. The process was slowed by the painting of all the graphics. Each graphic had to be taped and painted, then left to dry before the one touching it could be painted. Before repainting, they had to sand and in some cases fill all of the dings in the paint. A very slow process. They contacted Gulf Stream and got the paint codes for all of the main body and graphics colors. The storage yard's insurance covered all the damage. I also got the last of the Tourmaster lettering that the factory had. I hope you are able to work your problem out without too much of an inconvenience.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Chuck v

Default Re: Advice on Hail Damage

On my coach the paint codes are all listed on a large paper sticker in the rear walk-in closet on the wall common with the washer and dryer stackup...

Maybe your coach has a similar sticker somewhere that can help you with the paint identifiers.

Good luck with your repairs.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote