Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
sudsguzzler

Default Entertainment system DVD, etc.

I'm a new Gulfstream owner with a 2006 Tourmaster T36. By the way, we're new to RV's period. We purchased from a dealer that pretty much hid many problems and now we're trying to piece everything together. One item I wanted to tackle alone was the entertainment system. This was a bank repo and looks like previous owner looted all the equipment. What I've got is tv's and lots of coax cables along with some other larger cables with pin type connectors. I have a dome satellite and mini dish up top along with the standard tv antenna. Any chance of getting help on what's in between? I've got the front, kitchen and bedroom tvs. I believe the systems were Sony Dvds, but does anyone have the model that's usually used? How about any other hardware? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
Dave
sudsguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Chuck v

Dave,

Welcome to the forum! Our 2007 TourMaster T40-C was also purchased as a bank repo, and I can really relate to how prior owners can be vindictive and take things that are really "built-in" to the detriment of the next owner.

I don't know if the compliment of equipment is similar for our two coach models, but my TM has the Sony "DVD Home Theatre System" model DAV-DZ120. This unit is about the size of just a DVD player and fits in the cabinet above the windshield and to the left of the flat screen TV. I have the 96 page owners manual that came with the coach paperwork and it is dated 2006 so maybe the same model was used on your coach...

There is also another small black box component that is the video/audio selector switch. In my coach this is a model AVS200-01 by Riverpark. I did not find a manual in my coach literature, but found some manufacturer's information on-line. This is the box that terminates the 'heavy' cables with round multi-pin connector on one end and the video and audio RCA jacks on the other.

I know that earlier coaches used the AVS100 version of this video switcher and the Sony DAV-C450 player starting about the 2001 time-frame. This is what I THINK the wiring for that system looked like -- I do not have any similar wiring diagrams for my own coach, sorry.

What manuals did you get with your coach? Are your televisions flat screen Jensen units? I did not have any satellite receiver in my unit, but the factory fitted retractable dish/LNB was still on the roof, along with the terrestrial TV wing antenna for off-air reception.

Hope this is of at least some help...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
sudsguzzler

Thanks Chuck,
This information is obviously something to start with and will be of great assistance. I'm hoping that all of the wiring in the walls/ceiling is intact as should be so that we can just plug and play once we put the hardware in. Yes, I have Jensen flat screens. I'm sure remotes shouldn't be too much trouble. I tried the cheap universal remotes, but cannot get the proper remote code either by way of the posted Jensen codes or automatic configuration. I don't know if Gulf Stream has some contract with Jensen where they are OE and have special codes or what. The was a mid small flat Aquos flatscreen as well that looked like someone punched the screen. There was a built in power supply cord which fit in (pin type) to the tv instead of plugging into an outlet. We threw out that tv and actually bought a small emerson to hang in place and a small dvd player so that we've have something for our 1100 mile trip back from picking the RV up. Again, this power plug fits the Aquos, but it doesn't fit anything else. Probably should just stick with plugging into outlet. Thanks again so much for your post. I know I'll have plenty more questions.
Dave
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Chuck v

Dave,

I have not been able to get any of the "universal" remotes that I have tried so far to operate my Jensen TV sets either. Not sure if these sets are different than the typical residential models, but I will observe that most flat screen TV receivers don't have front facing speakers which is a must considering the cabinetry used in both the front overhead location and in the bedroom. I am considering replacing my Jensen units with receivers that have built in ATSC digital terrestrial television tuners, but have not found any model that has the right combination of physical size and front facing audio -- may have to bite the bullet and put external speakers on the bedroom unit so different programming can be viewed there from what is being used in the front of the coach since that determines what audio is played via the Sony surround sound unit that drives the existing bedroom ceiling speakers...

I have not done this yet, but have considered going to a Camping World store with the coach and asking to try one of the new Jensen TV remotes that go with the sets they sell there with the existing TV sets in the coach. If it worked, I am sure that you can buy a replacement remote from them. Of course of you are also considering upgrading/replacing the Jensen TVs you won't need to do this.

The bedroom TV in my TM is operating on DC so it can be used when the generator is not running in overnight 'dry camping' situations. It may be that the special connector for the Aquos is a DC source of power and not AC -- a quick testing with a voltmeter should uncover the actual supply voltage and type of that cord and connector. You might also check the DC fuse panel to see if a TV dedicated fuse is found there as well.

Good luck in restoring your entertainment system and keep posting your progress here.

Chuck

Old 08-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
sudsguzzler

Default Jensen flat screens

I'm looking for the model numbers of the front and bedroom Jensen flat screens if anyone else has the 06 tm 36. I believe the front is 32" and the rear 19". As you know, they are encased in wood framing and i was hoping not to disassemble if possible. I'm guessing for that year, the same tv's were used even in the t40 and so on. Chuck, do you have the model numbers for your tv's? Anyone else? Thanks for your help.
Dave
Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Chuck v

Dave,

My 2007 coach was built in late 06 and might very well have the same model number TV sets. In my coach the front is a 32 inch Jensen wide screen TV for which I do not have the manual so can't help you with type number there, but the bedroom set is a 20 inch (non-HDTV with a 4:3 aspect ratio...) and that Jensen set is model JE2043. The remote control for this set can operate either Jensen TV...

Good luck in acquiring additional information and please post here as I am interested in the model number of the front TV and its over dimensions within the cabinet.

Chuck

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
tarheel

My coach was built in late 06 also, but I still have the manual for the front TV that I recently replaced with a new digital TV. It was a Jensen JE3269 (32" 16:9 Digital LCD-TV). I was misled in thinking it was a digital TV, but finally found out that it didn't have a digital tuner.

Hope the model helps!

Dick
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Chuck v

Dick,

Thanks for the information...what make/model of replacement TV did you select? How does it fit in the available cabinet space, and does it have forward facing speakers or do you just use the Sony to drive the ceiling surround sound speakers from the output of the TV's audio?

I know that the early industry practice of stating a TV was "HD ready" was very misleading -- those sets still needed an external HD tuner/receiver as the ATSC functionality was not built in. I have used one of the 'conversion boxes' that were available everywhere during the transition for about $30, and the Jensen TV does display the correct size and aspect ratio image, but the lack of a true HDMI input and internal ATSC tuner limits the video performance. I think the display is most likely just 720 lines of vertical resolution, not the 1080P of most contemporary HDTV sets in this screen size...lacking a manual I can't say for certain.

Chuck

Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
tarheel

Chuck-
I bought a Samsung 32" as a replacement. It has front speakers also on the bottom. It fit pretty well in the space. Before putting the front trim back on, there is a 1/2" gap on each side. I also had to put a 3/4 piece of wood on the bottom. The depth was good. I glued a piece of matching quarter round on the bottom of the frame to hide the shim board at the bottom, and the trim hides the small gap on the sides. I looked and measured every 32" TV that I could find, and this one was the best fit. It has a few different connections on the back.

I bought my 07 new a four months ago. It was one of several dozen RV's and boats repossessed by the flooring bank from a dealership that went bankrupt with three locations. Someplace in the process, someone had removed the sony system and other electronics from the coach. The dealer that sold it for the bank tried to replace the electronics, but nothing worked right including the satelite. I had an RV tech that is an expert on the electronics take everything out of the cabinet and start from scratch reconnecting everything. After spending $500, everything works as it should. It was money well spent. Since the new TV had different connections on the back, he was able to connect it properly to play on it's own speaker, or on the Sony system.

One of the problems I still have are too many remotes. I need to get my Direct TV remote programmed to operate everything when I'm using Direct. I'll have him do that when we return home in a couple of months.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
sudsguzzler

Default Thank You

Dick & Chuck, thanks for the information. I know this should help me out. Dick, I too bought a repo and all of the electronice minus the tv's an hopefully all cabling were robbed. It's already been quite an investigation to find what's needed to get it back to 'factory'. I still don't know if I can. Gulf Stream really bastardized the entertainment systems with specialized equipment made by Riverpark, Inc such as the AVS100 or AVS200 which is some type of relay junction box with special connectors which distrubutes the video to the tvs along with 2 other special boxes, one of which is a 6/2 audio converterl which takes the 6 speaker leads from the Sony dvd and somehow transfers it into 2 channels and sends to another special box which I haven't exactly figured out yet, but they are made by Riverpark. The problem is that if I replace all of these boxes, which are available, I'll have another $700 in hardware invested without knowing if it will work when all put together. I'm researching right now to see if there's anyone local that can help me start over and implement a completely new setup. Thanks again for the help with the tvs. Right now, I understand that the technology in the tv's may not be perfect, but I want to crawl before I run, then, once I have funtional tv/dvd, etc., I can then start upgrading technology.
Dave
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
sudsguzzler

Default Entertainment system DVD, etc.

Well, it's been a long road, but I'm still not quite there with regard to my entertainment system. I have purchased all the necessary hardware such as a DVD surround system and all the special Riverpark hardware. I still cannot get my standard winegard off air crank antenna to get any reception whatsoever! I actually hooked up a cheap indoor HD/FM antenna and I pulled in about 30 local channels. The most I had pulled in with the standard antenna was 5. The largest problem I'm still having is with the audio/video distribution. Originally my T36 had the Riverpark AVS200-01 which allowed the inputs of a DVD, Dish, Vhs, Aux and then you could send any combination of these inputs to any or all of the coach TV's. The problem I'm having is that the AVS200-01 isn't made any longer, but has been replaced with the AVS200-HD. Same style box but the output connectors for sending to the TVs is a special plug which is different than the plugs I have in my coach which connected to the AVS200-01. I purchased pigtails which convert from the old to the new, but I'm not certain they're matched up properly. I get nothing. I even tried a small harness from Riverpark which has the new connector for the HD on one end with the standard RCA composite connectors on the tv end and the system works! According to Riverpark, they think all my existing wiring is bad to all my coach tv's. I still don't believe it. I think it has to do with the pigtail connectors. My options are: replace all the wiring to the tv's in the coach with the new harnesses which wouldn't be bad for the front tv, but I'm not going to try and run 35' to the back bedroom, or since the input to the AVS is RCA composite and the hookup to the TV is RCA composite, perhaps I can forget about the special plugs and take the wiring apart and splice the audio/video leads, or if someone has an old AVS200-01 leftover from an upgrade or if someone is using the AVS200-01 and is planning an upgrade, let me know. I know the upgrade of TV's and wiring would improve the picture and sound, but I'll be happy with it the way it originally was back in 2006. Thanks again to all who helped me out. This is a great site!! I've learned a lot in the last 6-8 weeks. I guess it's true what they say: Necessity is the Mother of invention!!!!