Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-07-2023, 09:53 PM   #21
JimJohnson

Default Check your bearings and brakes

We put 6,000 miles on our 2022 189DD, and given the other poor factory work decided maybe it was a good idea to do an axle check. The mechanic assumed the brakes would be auto-adjust - wrong, manual adjust (which he did). And he said that the factory had put barely enough grease into the hub, and the rear seals were damaged.

I did a couple other mods to the trailer this spring. The dinette table top would easily bounce free of its floor mounts. I installed a nylon strap & buckle between each set of top & bottom mounts. The straps are easily tightened to prevent the top from bouncing off, and with the buckle, still easily removed to convert the dinette into a (tiny) bed.

I also spent the the money to add SumoSprings - a high-density urethane foam block between leaf spring and frame. The foam acts like a shock absorber to reduce trailer bounce.
JimJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #22
MrsBernard

Default Amerilite 199DD windows

Hello!

I have the Gulf Stream Ameri-lite 199DD. I absolutely love it and this is my 3rd year. At the beginning of this season I took a turn too sharp, hit a sign and broke two windows and their frames. I broke the window over the queen bed and the sliding window over the dinette. I lucked out and the last one survived!

I am having the hardest time finding replacement windows. My local RV dealership quoted me more than $600 to replace them. I have no problem doing it myself, I just am having a hard time finding the right size windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Much appreciated!
MrsBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #23
maddog53

My trailer is not one of those mentioned by the OP, but it is a smaller one. 199RK, 2021. Mods I have made are replaced queen garbage mattress with a great full size mattress, alleviating the need to pay more for an RV queen. I also camp alone so no need for a queen. I put a full length curtain for privacy between the bed and dinette, with mounted on the ceiling tracks. I added a coax and ran it on the ceiling to behind the sofa to the outside through the fridge and heater vent outside, used for watching DVD's on outside TV. I added a curtain for expanding the bathroom area in back. It runs on the ceiling behind the wall mounted TV, over to the other side of trailer. This is used to expand the bathroom area for changing in privacy or keeping ac or heat in the cabin. I added a ceiling mounted shower curtain and I made it a half moon shape to allow for more elbow room in shower. I added caulking around the whole tub, a little wing on both outside corners of tub to help alleviate any floor drainage. I also added a plastic splash guard the width of the tub under the faucet to drain water back into the tub, instead of water staying on tub ledge and finding its way to the floor. My tub has a good inch to inch and a half ledge or more, around the whole tub (bad bad design), if you have this tub, you know what I mean. and I found no matter how level I was, water still drained to the bathroom floor. I added an Oxygenics shower head which amplifies shower stream and also saves water which is huge in an RV. I added gas struts under the bed, but should have got stronger ones. They worked fine with the original garbage mattress but not so good with a heavier 'real' mattress. I also added a brace to hold bed up when needed. I added a hitch mount on the bumper to allow for my flag pole holder. I had a 750 watt inverter from my pop up and added that to run a more powerful fan if needed. I reinforced the boards under the dinette seats with 'L' brackets. I did not need them breaking. I bought a cordless vacuum for $65 bucks and it is a game changer. Sweeping just raises dust. I cut silver bubble wrap to fit every window to keep it dark in the mornings and maybe even a bit cooler. I attend dirt track races most every weekend, so I do not open my windows much if ever, for obvious reasons. I have those dumb swing out from the bottom windows. They are bad. I added 2 clips to just under the awning so when I play music, I use the hooks to mount my bluetooth speaker to keep it out of the way.
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:22 PM   #24
JimJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBernard View Post
Hello!

I have the Gulf Stream Ameri-lite 199DD. I absolutely love it and this is my 3rd year. At the beginning of this season I took a turn too sharp, hit a sign and broke two windows and their frames. I broke the window over the queen bed and the sliding window over the dinette. I lucked out and the last one survived!

I am having the hardest time finding replacement windows. My local RV dealership quoted me more than $600 to replace them. I have no problem doing it myself, I just am having a hard time finding the right size windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Much appreciated!
I found windows for a small 2008 Starcraft TT from https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/

I needed the fitted screen for one of the same fire escape windows in your 199DD, and he had it. Can't guarantee you would have similar success, but it is worth the time to browse and contact.
JimJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote