Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
woodworker414

Default What is it for?

Hi everyone, just joined the group. We are the new owners of a 2003 Cavalier 29.5 with most bells and whistle. We have had one short trip to visit our son and his family. To attend the baptistism of our new grandson.
I have crawled all over this unit, and pretty well have it under control, this is not out first RV, this is our 6th. We just love this unit. We are coming out of a large truck camper, because the DW has arthritis real bad, she was having a lot of trouble getting into the cab over bed. So the move to this unit, much more handy for her. My question, on the lower dash below the lighter about 6" from the bottom of the dash is a red light, which is not a Ford item. What is that light used for, it has never come on. Is this something that GS installed to indicate something or did a previous owner installed it for some reason, that I have not figured out yet. Just want to know, I like to know as much as I can about the units that I have. Thanks for any thoughts that you have.
Have safe travels.
Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
mailmann

Could it be a Electric Brake Module?

Mike
Old 10-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
woodworker414

Mike, that was my first thought, but when I step on the brake of the C the light does not come on. When I was pulling a 5er with my pickup, when I stepped on the brake with or without the 5er the light on the module came on. I guess I will have somebody with better eyes than I have to trace the wiring. Someday I will know. I hope soon.
Bill
Old 10-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
woodworker414

Mike, that was my first thought, but when I step on the brake of the C the light does not come on. When I was pulling a 5er with my pickup, when I stepped on the brake with or without the 5er the light on the module came on. I guess I will have somebody with better eyes than I have to trace the wiring. Someday I will know. I hope soon. The C is wired with a 4 plug at the hitch, I guess I could go to my buddy and hook up his toad dolly a see if the light comes on. Now that I say that I think that I will do it.
Bill
Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
woodworker414

Getting closer to the answer, I crawl under the dash today, found 2 wires from the red light, one went to ground, the other (yellow) went through the firewall and laced through the frame to the plug at the hitch, it look as if the light is a add on by a previous owner, the wiring on the plug at the hitch looks as if it was a factory install. I didn't have time to check to which pin in the plug that the yellow wire went to, the plug is a 6 pin plug, 5 on the outer circle and one in the center. What a 6 pin plug is used for, I don't know. The hunt continues. My idea is, that once a trailer wiring is hooked up, the light comes on, if by chance the plug were to come unplugged the light would go out and the driver hopefully would notice that it is out. Any other ideas
Bill
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Texas TC

I had an auxiliary braking system installed in my Jeep Wrangler. With it came a little red light installed on the dash of the coach. It has its own wire that runs from the light on the dash to the light plug at the trailer hitch and it illuminates when the braking system activates. A wire must be run from the Jeep to the extra wire for it to work. It does not light when the brakes are applied unless the braking system is installed in the Jeep.

That would be my guess for the mystery light on your dash. The previous owner had a brake system in their towed vehicle and had the light installed.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
woodworker414

And the winner is, Texas TC, I just bet that is what the light is for, now I can sleep nights. LOL Just glad to know what the heck it was for. Thanks for the help.
Bill