Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
tinapetel

Default 3” lift for my 19’ Visa ERD

I am considering a 3” lift for my 19’ Visa ERD. I have damaged my rear stabilizing jacks several times on curbs, potholes, steep driveway entrances, etc.
I know several others have lifted their Visa’s. How has it worked out? Did it effect the towing of the trailer? I have so far avoided raising the trailer because we like the low step into the door and I attribute the good towing characteristics of the Visa at least partly to the low ride height.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
CaptRon

Default Re: 3” lift for my 19’ Visa ERD

I also have the 19ERD. Love the trailer and the queen bed that stays made up.

I ordered the lift kit directly from Gulfstream because the dealer here is a PITA to deal with. I had to put the order in, wait for Gulfstream to email me back with the total bill including tax and shipping, then I had to send them payment. I'm still waiting on the parts ... maybe next week. I'll let you know how much it raises things once I get it installed. Hopefully it'll be obvious how to install it since I've been told that there are no instructions.

I have also started measuring the tread depth of the tires every trip with a digital caliper. So far I have less than 200 miles on the rubber and they appear to be more than 10% used up. I currently project that the total life of the tires will be about 1750 miles.

You might want to monitor yours.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Timothy

I have been thinking about the tire wear issues that some of you Visa owners are having. If the tires are all wearing evenly is it possible that castle nut on the axels is too tight causing drag on the wheels? Other then dragging brakes or misaligned axels the only other thing I can think of is that the tires are very poor quality.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
tinapetel

I have about 10,000 miles on my current pair of tires. They look OK, even wear and maybe another 10,000 left on the tires.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
lsnipes

We did it last season and have really found it to be helpful. It also helped with our tire wear issues. Buy a small step for the sights that need it and don't look back.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
CaptRon

OK I finally received the parts for the lift kit from Gulf Stream. There are no installation instructions so I'm assuming it'll be obvious how they must go. Does anyone have any pictures of the completed install? If not I guess I'll fumble my way through and try to take a few along the way.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
CaptRon

Ok so I got the kit and installed it yesterday. The only decent photo is shown above. (after this I was too grubby to handle the camera) Front of the trailer is to the right of the photo. I don't know which way the shims are supposed to go. They appear to be symmetrical fore and aft and left to right. I decide to install mine with the open channel of the shim facing out but I'm sure they could go the other way.

The procedure is as follows:
Jack up and block the trailer high enough to get the wheels off.
Block the axle so that it won't fall when you remove the bolts holding it on.
Cut the zip ties holding the brake wiring to the axle so that when you drop the axle down you don't damage the wiring.
Remove the bolts from both sides.
Lower the axle to the previously positioned blocks.
The photo shows the starboard side lift shim in position but before it's bolted up.
Bolt the shim to the axle then lift the axle and bolt the shim to the frame. The axle can be lifted by hand but a jack might be better. (Note: after I lifted the axle in place and inserted the bolts and nuts hand tight, I jacked the axle up before tightening the bolts)
Snug up the bolts but don't tighten them.
This is hard to see in the picture but the axle bracket that's welded to the frame has a notch in it. I lined up the center post of the shim with the notch.
Then I aligned the axle with the frame.
I measured from the hub to the front corner of the trailer frame.
Then because the nuts were still not tight, I was able to use a rubber hammer to persuade the axle to move.
I moved the axle until the hub to frame measurements were the same on both sides of the trailer.
Then I snugged up the nuts.
It helped that I had an 18v impact driver. The nuts and bolts require a 15/16ths wrench.
New zip ties on the brake wires and remounting the wheels finishes the job.

It took me all morning to do this job maybe 4 hours but that includes moving the trailer to the driveway, making wood blocks from scrap 2x12 and jacking everything with a small bottle screw jack (painfully slow)

The threshold of the door now measures about 14 inches above the ground so I think a retractable step is in order. A small plastic 7 inch high step stool we use around the house works fine.

After this I reinstalled my WDH (E2 Trunnion 600lb bars). I used the stock tow bar (about 1 1/2" drop) and was pleased to find that with 5 washers and the L brackets in the middle that my front fender well measurement was right on the money and the trailer sits about 1/2" to 1" lower in front than in the rear (very slightly tongue down). The initial test drive was very good. The trailer tows straight and the WDH spring bars don't seem to impart too much bounce. I think that once we fully load the trailer for travel, I'll lower the L brackets a notch or two to see if I detect any difference in drive-ability.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
tinapetel

These are before and after images of my 2011, 19’ Visa with a 3” lift kit. I am very satisfied with the installation. The trailer tows without any noticeable difference and the added clearance is very comforting around bumps and steep entrances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3P10-27-12_12-32 - Copy.jpg (142.4 KB, 5149 views)
File Type: jpg 2DSCF3927-001 - Copy.JPG (231.3 KB, 5148 views)
File Type: jpg P10-27-12_12-19.jpg (65.2 KB, 5155 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
CaptRon

I haven't done that many miles but my tow seems unaffected. I do carry some extra blocks to place under the jacks or wheels but I'd probably need those anyway. Also I've been measuring the tread wear on the tires and I'll be lucky to get 2000 miles on these Chinese Maypops so I'm thinking maybe going to 16 inch LT tires next time. The extra 3 inches of clearance makes that possible.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
davidk

Hi,

I am also looking for a lift kit for my 19 VISA RSD as it is scraping constantly on ramps and driveways. Really poor design to have such low clearance. Would anyone know where I can order or purchase one from? I tried Gulfstream and they gave me the run around. Would trailer service shops be able to lift it up for me or do I need a specific lift kit for the Gulfstream?

Much appreciated...thanks.

D
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
jayrock

I ordered my lift kit from an RV dealer up here in warm Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. All they needed was the make model and serial of my trailer and they ordered if for me. I am going to install it myself, well with the help from my father-in-law and brother-in-law, they are handy and restore cars so I feel good about not getting it done at the dealership. I am looking forward to not dragging the rear when going over bumps. Going to be installing it in about 2 weeks will keep you all posted.
jayrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
jayrock

Put the lift kit in last night, took a little longer then I thought, but was not using power tools. DId it the old fashion way by hand. Just have to rejig the plumbing a bit around the axil and that is all. Looking forward to not bottoming out any more.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
amblttow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrock
Put the lift kit in last night, took a little longer then I thought, but was not using power tools. DId it the old fashion way by hand. Just have to rejig the plumbing a bit around the axil and that is all. Looking forward to not bottoming out any more.
Have you noticed any adverse change in towing characteristics? I am soon to have the same kit installed and would like to know what to expect.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
jayrock

nope it tows great still. But it is nice that you are not constantly worried about having something dragging.