Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
mhogge

Default clear coat peeling off

I own a 2005 Sun Voyager that has several spots where the clear coat is peeling off, is there a cure for this other than a complete new paint job?

Also need help getting my front upper clearance lights working again, have checked all the fuses and breakers I could find/ under hood under dash etc.

Also looking for a shower door latch, small black plastic one.
mhogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Sudsy

Default Some Ideas

Inside one of the kitchen cabinets there is a sticker in mine that gives all the colors of the full body paint including a number for the clear coat. It's all Martin Senior (sp) paint. Look in your cabinet on back wall. Find a Body and Fender guy that can come to you and he can repair the clear coat rather than the $10000 paint job.

I just replaced all of my front clearance lights with LED replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I tried to remove the first one I found it so corroded that the idea I had to just replace the bulbs with LED replacements wasn't going to work. These are a little bigger and wider but not much. Look great at night and in daylight. Make sure to seal them. I think the lights are all connected in a chain. When you remove the first one look to see if 12V is there. I bet it is.

Latch? Try this.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-H...wer+door+latch

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS Colors.jpg (206.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
bellboy

I suggest that you make sure that all terminals are free of corrosion.
bellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
I suggest that you make sure that all terminals are free of corrosion.

On my coach the fixtures themselves were corroded beyond repair. These clearance lights are famous for leaking. A couple of mine were half full of water. We have had some heavy rains here and that's why I actually found the water. Had they sat in the sun for a couple days they would have dried up. There are connectors on the harness that matched the new one's I got. The screws had to be cut off with a Dremel tool and a cutting wheel. I sealed them with dicor self leveling and cleaned up most of the excess. On the LED fixtures the entire fixture is sealed. The bulbs can't be replaced but they should outlast me. The critical sealing is between the new fixtures and the roof.

Sudsy
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
CptHaddock

If the $10k paint job comment was realistic, I'd love to know how to get that kind of pricing.

Like the OP I have clearcoat damage to my '06 Sun Voyager, but since it was stored outside and used in the Metro Phoenix area, the damage is very extensive and only a complete repaint will stop it looking like someone who fell asleep on the beach 3 days afterwards.

I got a $7k quote to wrap the entire vehicle and a $23k quote for a single color repaint, so $10k ... yeah, I could jump right on that.
CptHaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
gwirth

I took my coach to the Maaco Truck center in Las Vegas and got it repainted for $6,000.00. That was for 4 colors and the saved the burgany color that was not peeling.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
CptHaddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwirth View Post
I took my coach to the Maaco Truck center in Las Vegas and got it repainted for $6,000.00. That was for 4 colors and the saved the burgany color that was not peeling.
Nice! What size / length and how much prep did the surface need?
CptHaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
gwirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
Nice! What size / length and how much prep did the surface need?
40ft Class A. They did everything. Sanded down, masked off the burgundy stripping, change the color scheme slightly, sprayed four colors, I like it better than original. Not a show car finish, but I am very satisfied. They did this last November.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
gwirth

40ft Class A. They did everything. Sanded down, masked off the burgundy stripping, change the color scheme slightly, sprayed four colors, I like it better than original. Not a show car finish, but I am very satisfied. They did this last November.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
mhogge

MY $10.000 was just a guess I would like contact information on that Las Vegas shop though.

I do have another question:

I was told my 2005 Sun Voyager has a gel coat with a clear coat over that, if that is correct is it feasible to wait for all of the clear coat will peel off then keep the gel coat polished?
mhogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
gwirth

Maaco North Las Vegas on Craig Road. Ask for Becky.