Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
soc

Default Black/Grey switched!!!

After our first camping trip in our new unit - I went to empty the waste tanks - of course first i pulled the "sewage" vallve first,and got relativly clean water, then pulled the valve for "wastewater" and was surprised what I got (poo poo) - I ran some water in the toilet and confirmed that not only was the valved labeled wrong, but also the reporting level indicators was also wrong as the grey tank was really the black and viseversa.
On my return home i removed the labels and printed new ones, and switched the sensors around also so it would report right on the level indicators. My question is really what should i say to gulfstream about this???? - It shows a total lack of quality control on their part-and luckily i wasn't dumping the "wastewater"into my yard asclean water!!!!!

Also i found some of the TV inputs labeled wrong also

Anyone else have this?? Your thoughts?????
soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
coolchas11

Our rigs have always had a larger pipe on the black tank discharge. Is this the case with your's? If not, then it is more than the labels. It would mean that the drains are discharging to the wrong tanks and GS should remedy it. If it is simply reversed labels we had that on the cable and phone connections. Charlie
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
SueMac

I'd definitely let them know! Some folks have good luck with their customer service rep you're assigned and others don't. (we didn't) I'd bypass customer service and find someone in motorhome production or quality control and tell them your story.

Way too many mistakes in assembly and quality with GS. But I gotta say at least this is one problem our Super Nova didn't have!

Other than that, we hope you enjoy your rig. Once we get the many problems ironed out on ours we hope to enjoy it a bit rather than work on it.

SueMac
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
soc

Default same size

Luckily the discharges are the same size so that shouldn't be an issue. I havn't had a chance to find out what drains into where though - know the kitchen sink goes into the "black" and toilet into the "grey".

The thing that irks me is the lack of quality control. I have tried to both email them and phone and sofar no reply. Unfortuanlty I don't even know what to say as so far ive been able to take care of the issues myself-but what will come up next.

We looked at alot of units before we bought -or should i say went into debt - for this one -makes me wonder
Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
coolchas11

I posted a reply yesterday, but it doesn't show. We are in VT on a very slow computer so that might be the reason. In any event, on our rigs the black tank pipe has always been larger than the grey. Is this the case with your's? If so then the tanks are done incorrectly and it goes beyond reversed labels. We had the cable and phone connections labels reversed. Charlie
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
RJ82much

Still another variation on the "Switched" theme:

Last year, after continued concern over what water goes where, I had some time out at the factory & decided to evaluate the question, once & for all (on my unit at least).

I dumped all my tanks, then one at a time, ran several gallons into each fixture. I confirmed that my toilet and my bathroom lavatory empty into Black tank (big drain pipe). My Kitchen sink & shower empty into Grey water tank (small drain pipe).

That's that, you say? We just came back from a trip where the only water we needed to use was dishwater. I dumped tanks pulling into park. Practically no toilet water nor bathroom lav were used. All showers taken at park facilities.

Imagine my surprise when the MONITOR panel reported that the Black water was filled a day before time to leave? I can only imagine that the wiring for each tank is on the wrong set of monitor lamps...

Would this account for anyone else's strange wastewater behavior?

PS: knowing that the water was merely dishwater, not sewage, I unleveled (lowered) my MH toward the passenger side a small amount. The tank immediately reported 2/3 full. This wouldn't be a problem (I figured) because at worst I would get a small amout of soapy water in my shower on the way to the dump station. (It didn't happen)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
soc

Default switched

well since the labels were wrong on mine the monitor panel was wrong also - i was able to switch the leads at the tanks so they indicate correctly now-I still have to confirm what goes where - i thought i did but last trip i think i made a mistake as black tank filled quicker than i thought - seems like the sinks - both kitchen and bathroom fills into the blacktank - and only the shower goes into the grey. As I said was lucky that both outlets are the same size. On the last trip after i washed out the tank i noticed something at the bottom of the toilet (no not poo poo LOL) i got a handy grabber and latched onto it and it was a 3" around piece of wood where they cutout the floor for the toilet - good thing that didn't makeit down to the outlet- but shouldn't have been in there to begin with!

to make matters worst I have contacted- or tried to -gulfstream through numerous emails and phone calls and they STILL havn't contacted me back. I am very unhappy about the quality control of the unit - luckily i have been able to preaty much fix everything myself but I shouldn't have to
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
rjf7g

Default switched

I have found a whole bunch of "little" things wrong with my 2007 Innsbruck 36FRS...I have concerns about quality control, too.

Plumbing...lots of loose connections (minor leaks at tub, hot water heater and kitchen sink)...linoleum from the cut out for the toilet was thrown away in to the black water tank (there's a story behind this one)...

Electrical...main wire to the main breaker was loose...breakers are mislabeled...

Other...bedside shelves located right on top of the mattress (I guess they didn't expect me to ever make the bed)...no heat in the front bedroom...no cool air in the back bedroom...

I love my dealer, but I can say my next purchase from him will likely be one of the other brands he sells.