Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #41
gsadmin

Continue utilizing this site, and giving feedback.

Then, if/when you encounter GS brass (C-level or VP-level), encourage them to have someone respond out on our forum. Tell them at the Rally back at the factory how much you love using your coach, but that like anything else, its not perfect. And, that you would love for them to participate in our forum to answer questions so we get the facts straight from the horses mouth.

This site helps GS, we help GS, now they just need to be shown what they are missing out on.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #42
David Bott

I very much know the impact people have on sales and companies. You see, I run the largest on-line Audio/Video website and can tell you, what people say make a difference. But what makes a bigger difference is what the company does to support the consumer.

As mentioned it is not the old day of you needing to find someone to ask about something. In this case, an RV. Now they go looking and find places like this. As such, customer service and support now have become the key to a company like never before.

I hope when we get to the Back To Home really next month that I may be able to talk to someone at GS that actually understands this.

I want to see GS succeed like never before. But it all starts with the service.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #43
bill6357

I just joined this forum yesterday, and I'm already reaping the benefits. I'm currently having an electrical problem, which is being addressed in a seperate thread. I wish I had found this group sooner. I had serious issues over the last year with Gulfstream. My dealer has solved all but this last electrical one, but it took a letter to Brian Shea, one of the two Presidents of GS, to get the ball rolling. I thought I was alone with a "lemon" I had no idea that there were so many of us with issues. Here is the letter I sent:

Dear Mr. Shea March 12, 2008

I find it necessary to write in order to inform you of an unfortunate series of events. I have tried using every possible means of resolving a problem with my motor coach, but find myself considering legal council. That is a situation I would like to avoid.

In July of last year, I went to my local motor home dealership, Commack Trailer, to pick up my 2006 Ultra for my planned cross country summer family vacation. I had no intention of buying a second motor home, but while I waited for my coach to be brought out from the shop where it was being serviced, my wife and children were looking at a 2005 Sunvoyager labeled "demo, priced to sell" Before I knew it I was the proud owner of a second Gulfstream motor home. Serious health issues cancelled our trip and I wasn't able to use my new coach until January of this year.

When I bought the Sunvoyager, I was made aware that it was not new, but had only 1700 miles on it and had never been lived in. My dealer, Bob Merchwart, explained to me that he personally used it for trade shows, but it had been stored outside and I should expect problems related to that. After a quick drive around the area, I felt that the brake system should be looked at, it just didn't feel right. Bob suggested that I drive it a bit more, since there was most likely rust on the rotors, which would cause problems. A quick overnight trip left me with a list of things to have looked at, none too serious except for an indicator light on the antilock brake system and a few electrical problems, with indicator lights going on and systems not working. I left the coach at Huntington Chevrolet, the local authorized Workhorse repair shop. I was told that I needed to replace all the batteries. The batteries were not holding a charge and improper voltage was possibly causing computer problems. It sounded reasonable. The dealership had problems tracing some wiring and a mistake was made involving a solenoid controlling the 12 volt system. I took the coach home to prepare for a trip down the coast to Florida. When I tested the hydraulic jacks, the solenoid wiring started to burn. A panicked call to Bob Mrchwart was followed by a quick fix at his shop. Huntington Chevrolet assures me that they will make restitution for the error. I left the next morning and drove without incident to Florida. As I arrived at my destination, the antilock brake indicator lit up. Needless to say I was upset. I called Gulfstream and was given the phone numbers to several dealers who should be able to help. The diagnosis would mean that my vacation would be trashed while the coach was in a shop. One of the repair centers suggested that I just ignore the indicator until I returned home. After all, it was the antilock system, not the overall brakes. The odds of skidding were remote. I agreed.

That night, a fellow camper knocked on my door. "One of your tail lights is on and has been blinking for a while." I tried, without success to figure out why only one tail light would be on. I decided to remove the bulbs. As I unscrewed the tail lens, the superheated bulb melted through the housing and fell into the body. I discovered that the same thing had happened on the other side. Meanwhile, other lights began to turn on and off sporadically. I disconnected the batteries and pulled fuses. I was unable to find anyone willing to look at the coach where it was. With another vacation cut sort, I drove home to New York. During the drive, My wife and I made a detailed list of symptoms. That list is attached to this letter. I brought the coach back to Huntington Chevrolet. That was the second week of January.

The service manager at Huntington Chevrolet assured me that he would give my coach his personal attention. A few days later, I was informed that both Workhorse and Gulfstream would not consider any of the work warranty covered. A phone call to Workhorse explaining that the vehicle was only recently put into use changed their mind. They agreed to cover the chassis through April of this year: more than enough time to discover the cause of these wiring problems. I made a similar call to Gulfstream. Workhorse called Commack Trailer and verified my explanation as to the origin of my coach. They immediately authorized repair work to the brake system. Gulfstream continued to deny responsibility when contacted by Huntington Chevrolet. My calls to customer service were never followed up on and I have yet to receive a call or letter explaining your decision, if in fact one was made. I wrote a letter to customer service, and still no response. I called two more times. The representatives were pleasant, but could give me no answers.

Hunting Chevrolet claims that the wiring done when the coach was built is at fault. Will you please address this issue so that we can continue a good relationship? I do not want to involve a lawyer, but I will not be mistreated any longer.
bill6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #44
coolchas11

You are being extremely fair and reasonable. Hopefully, Shea will assure that the issues will be corrected. Charlie
Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #45
David Bott

UPDATE...

WE GOT OUR 2008 TOUR MASTER BACK TODAY!!!!!

YES! It is here and it only took about two months!

AUGH, AUGH, AUGH, AUGH!!!!!!

Almost two months to get things done. I can NOT believe it.

THESE WERE SMALL ITEMS FOKES!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #46
trickto322

In a time when the american consumer cannot find anything that is made in the USA we have one of the few things made here. What does that get us? We have a very espensive show of BAD WORKMANSHIP. It is a shame that we have to beg to have our investment made right. It is a shame that we have to "pick" which manufacture makes the fewest mistakes. It is a shame that we have lowered our standards. We can go to the Mars but we cannot make a motorhome that works 100% when you pick it up. I'm sorry I went off but some days it just hurts to hear what some of us goes through.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #47
David Bott

Hi All..

We are here at the Gulf Stream "Back to Home" rally and are working on getting the coach fixed up. We still have a number of issues and this is the reason we really came to the really. To get them resolved by speaking to the right people.

Well it seems we have have made a great contact to get things done and I give him the list. He made some calls and we SHOULD BE getting some results while we are here. Here is the list.

Shimmy above 45. (Appointment on Wed with a Freightliner center 20 miles or so from here.)
Drivers Side Mirror shaking
Tighten slide awning as it hod water.
Look at front Living Room window. (need replacement pane)
Slide out bulb seal on left and right of coach. (They are compressed)
Check seals on basement doors are water gets in.
Check alignment of basement doors as they have come open 4 times. (Major safety issue)
TOUR MASTER logo on the front replaced.
Driver slide out safety switch replaced as the wire is pulled out of it.

Also I am getting some work done by Hart City...

42" Ceiling Fan in bedroom.
Fantastic Vent added into bathroom. (Standard fan now.)
Self leveling system installed. (Manually one in the system currently.)

Also would like to send a HELLO out to those that have stopped by to say hello after reading my thread here. Thanks as you made us feel welcome.

We also found out we are not AT ALL alone with the issues right from the factory that are factory made issues based on quality control not being their at all. Each Tour Master owner we have spoken with thus far are not happy with the work. They love the coach, but not the issues.

I will let you know how things go by weeks end as we leave here on Friday and thus all must be done by then.

David
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #48
coolchas11

Dave, thanks for the update. We, too, had issues with our TM, but got most of them fixed in CT. Hydraulic system was repaired in VA and minor items at GS where you are now. Charlie
Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #49
rdlamb

Dave:
Wow, what a list. I wonder if GS is watching.
What type of fan did you install in the bedroom, 12v or 110v? I am considering a similar move, but do not know if the 12v fan/light combo will be better than a house ceiling fan.

Thanks for the updates.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #50
David Bott

Wow...Sorry I missed the replies.

Yes, FYI, I am still working on the ride issues. I am writing this from yet another shop that is doing an alignment and also some "fixing". It seems that some items just were not "tight" and had play in them. Also getting installed the Bell Crank from SuperSteer as the one on our coach is, well, BAD!!!! It has just over 4000 miles on it!

So, we will see after they are done how it drives and tracks. It has not been enjoyable to say the least driving it.

Ceiling fan...12V is what I had put in. It does help in the bedroom. Would I have gone with a larger one? Not sure. It does not move air and the air is does move helps. But a larger one may have been nice. Also, clearance may be an issue with a larger fan, not to mention looks. (I did not research them, so not really sure as I did not even think 110v.)

So, in a few hours I will know more about my steering and next week get back out for a quick trip.

David
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #51
David Bott

UPDATE....

Ok, had more work done on the Tour Master...Not sure where I left off, but it has new Koni shocks, a new SuperSteer Bell Crank, 2 new Goodyear front tires replaced under warranty, Two new rear inside steel rims as the other were bent out of round (yes, not kidding), and now all the tires have Equal balancing in them. (Yes, also alignment)

In any case, even with all the work, we still have vibration issues starting at 50 MPH.

So, what are w doing now? Traveling to South Carolina to visit the Freightliner Service and Training Center. We are leaving Upsate NY on Tuesday and stopping by a dealer in North Carolina on Wednesday to look at a few issues. Then on to our appointment with Freightliner for 8:00AM Thursday morning.

So...We will see if they can handle the issue. If they can not, well, we will be seeking a new coach. But they seem to think they can handle the issues where others could not. We have to at least try.

Well, more to come as this continues to unfold.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #52
Elise

Well, our list of quality control issues just gets longer and longer, since Gulf Stream is so terrible about responding to either us or our service dealer about authorizing some major problems with the coach (one of which is a refrigerator that was installed contrary to Dometic's specs and without any insulation). So now I'm filing a complaint with the Better business Bureau. Interesting to note, (and I wish we had done this before making our purchase) that Gulf Stream has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB of Indiana, with 34 complaints filed in the last 36 months.

We've been told parts we need are on order, only to be told later that they were not yet authorized to be ordered. We've been told parts are on their way, yet nothing arrives for weeks. We've been told our GS customer service rep is "checking with his supplier" and then later told they need our service dealer to call them yet again. (Our local service dealer has displayed unending patience in dealing with GS, calling and emailing them on a regular basis as they wait for authorization to begin work on any one of the number of incorrectly installed or missing components of our coach.) Our customer service rep. seems to be on vacation, or the factory has been closed down for a hiatus, or we leave messages and emails that take days, sometimes weeks for a response, and then it only seems like a stall technique as we are passed to a new rep. or told a new excuse, and "the parts are on their way." We've been waiting for a silly exterior light cover since May!
Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #53
David Bott

Just and update that due to a family illness we needed to postpone our trip to Freightliner.

I will update as we proceed with our coach issues.

Thanks
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #54
RayChez1

Yes, welcome to the RV world and I do agree with you that the QC on all these expensive toys is a lot to be desired. But I don't think I have seen the perfect company yet and we have been RVing for many years. A good dealer is very important in correcting what is called shake down problems. I think you will like the Gulfstream TourMaster. It seems to me like a good coach. When we bought in 2003 they did not have the TM, but we bought what was the top of the line then, which was the Scenic Cruiser. My wife and I just love our coach, but we did have some shake down issues when we first got it. Since the issues were resolved I have not had a problem in the last four or five years. Now I had a coachmen before and I only kept it for six months and I got rid of it. I had lots of problems with the slide motors, so it happens with just about every coach I can think off. I do most of the work on my coach now. I even change the oils and lube the chassis. It is easier then what most would think.
I think you made the right choice on the TM.
The only thing I wish I had gotten a forty foot instead of 38', larger is always better.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #55
David Bott

Hi All...

I just wanted to say we are still around. Thanks for the PM's of concern.

We have not been able to travel this summer based on some family illness as mentioned. We hope to head down to Freightliner and then on to Florida this October for a few weeks. Really still need to get the steering looking at and have all the underside checked out.

All in all, the biggest news is that we built a pole barn to store the TM in, and it was, get this, just to short as they built it up for the floor instead of going down. Good thing the concrete was not pored and I told them I wanted a test run.

Why was it too short? Hummm....in all the docs I have from GulfSteam and on their site, it read 12' 6" ride height. NOPE! 12' 10" is more like it. When I called about it they said, well you have a sat dome, that's the issue. To which I replied that the TM comes STANDARD with the sat dome. As such, would it not be included in the spec's??? Augh!

So to be much safer, I ordered a new King Dome 12" to replace my 15" KVH. Hey, 3" is 3".

All in all, out adventure continues.

Take care all. Will be back in touch.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #56
David Bott

Hello All...

Well we are here in Gaffney and wanted to give you an update.

Taken from our rv blog...(No need to type it twice. )

Well we are sad to report we are now starting day 2 at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney. Yesterday they replaced the drive shaft, did an alignment, changed the ride height and put on a vibration sensor in hopes to see where the issue is. Well, none of that really did anything. The sensor pointed at both drive train and tires...so more or less inconclusive.

So they put the old driveshaft back in as the new one had no change and readjusted the ride height. Today they are now looking at dismounting and remounting/balancing all six tires. They will also look at each rim and tire to be sure they are, well, round.

Oh, I need to mention these have to be the cleanest service bays we have seen.

We are supposed to get a down pour of rain later today, or as they say here a ?Gully wash?en ?, so we are hoping they can resolve the issue so we can get out before the rain hits.

BTW...I must say that it is a sure pleasure to be working with a company like Freightliner that truly put?s customers first. Everyone we have dealt with here in Gaffney have been outstanding. From senior management to the service center reception, it is just a breath of fresh air. The techs are polite and take care to listen to what you have to say even asking follow up questions. It is companies like Freightliner that others should strive to be like. If and when we may look for another coach, we will be looking for the Freightliner logo. (And we say this even without the issue being resolved as of yet as they are just that caring.)

More to follow when we have something more to say on this. Otherwise we would just bore you with note about us sitting in the waiting room and watching people play cards. (Yawn)

Take care, keep safe.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #57
David Bott

Default SUCCESS!

Just a quick note we are ON THE ROAD and have SUCCESS with the fine team at the Freighliner Service Center in Gaffney! After all that was tried that was mentioned on the last page, all six tires and rims were replaced just to see what would happen. Well, as fate has it, WE ARE SMOOTH!!! The ties are now the Michelin RV tires and they are slightly larger.

So even though it was close to 6 PM, it really wanted to get on the road. So we headed out for 1 hour and ended up in a Super Wall-mart New Berry, SC. This is the first time we did something like this and we must say, we were kind of nervous.

Oh, one thing that did happen this morning when I was setting up the coach to leave and was checking the Saturn Outlook we tow. Well, when I shut the door, they all LOCKED! Yes, only keys we had for it was in the car. I called On-Star and POOF they unlocked the doors. But we were not sure that would work for we do remove a fuse from the Outlook when we tow it.

So we are heading out now to end up in Jacksonville.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #58
lockdoc

David-

Congrats on the smooth ride!!! It is about time someone figured it out for you and you deserve the smoothness under your wheels.....have fun!
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
RayChez1

Default Re: SUCCESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
Just a quick note we are ON THE ROAD and have SUCCESS with the fine team at the Freighliner Service Center in Gaffney! After all that was tried that was mentioned on the last page, all six tires and rims were replaced just to see what would happen. Well, as fate has it, WE ARE SMOOTH!!! The ties are now the Michelin RV tires and they are slightly larger.

So even though it was close to 6 PM, it really wanted to get on the road. So we headed out for 1 hour and ended up in a Super Wall-mart New Berry, SC. This is the first time we did something like this and we must say, we were kind of nervous.

Oh, one thing that did happen this morning when I was setting up the coach to leave and was checking the Saturn Outlook we tow. Well, when I shut the door, they all LOCKED! Yes, only keys we had for it was in the car. I called On-Star and POOF they unlocked the doors. But we were not sure that would work for we do remove a fuse from the Outlook when we tow it.

So we are heading out now to end up in Jacksonville.
David, I have been following your thread for awhile now and am glad that Freightliner solved the problems.. I have heard nothing but good things about the Freightliner shops in Gaffney, so it is good to know.
I was just wondering, what brand of tires did you have on the coach that were bad. You mention that you have Michelins now, what was on it before?
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #60
David Bott

So sorry for the delay. I did not receive the thread update notice.

The tires were the Goodyear RV tires. I had already had two of them replaced on the front before I got to them. These new ones are larger and make for a GREAT ride. I had to have the speedo reset for the larger tires. BTW...The TM looks much better IMHO with the larger tires. The others just looked small for such a large coach.

So...NEW ISSUE! We got home from our 2 week trip and as I was washing the coach so I can store it a few months, I noticed the entire main living room slide had dropped one inch!!! It is now lower than the bottom molding when retracted. Thus of course total messes up the paint lines and is now pressing on the cargo doors below it.

Called Gulf Stream as I wanted to bring it to them (8 hours away from us). Their service center is closed until February. So I am now waiting for response as to where they would like me to bring it.

You see, in March I need to take the coach to Orlando for 2 weeks for a trade show where the TM will be seen by thousands as we will be using it for a internet broadcast of interviews with manufacturers. As such, I need to get this repaired before we travel to that event.

At this time I am awaiting a reply from GS.

Someday we will use the RV to just go away...But currently our travels have been service center related for the most part.

David
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad