Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Capt_Bill_USMC

Default Roof Leak

Hello!

I have a small roof leak right over the master bedroom of my coach. The roof was just redone last summer, but by the previous owner in another state.

This leak just started. I know where it is located, just need to fix it and move on. What items do I need to get to repair it? Will flex seal work? Or is there a better product?

Thanks in advance!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Hello!

I have a small roof leak right over the master bedroom of my coach. The roof was just redone last summer, but by the previous owner in another state.

This leak just started. I know where it is located, just need to fix it and move on. What items do I need to get to repair it? Will flex seal work? Or is there a better product?

Thanks in advance!
Rubber roof?
Flex Seal? Not the best thing to use. It failed me.
I have had good luck with this product;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eternabon...iABEgIYI_D_BwE
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Capt_Bill_USMC

Ok thanks! I will have to check to see what type of roof I have . It was redone by the previous owner. Which is why I’m not happy at all that it is leaking. Small staining happening on the ceiling. Doesn’t seem to be terrible, but a hurricane is coming so I need to address this issue soon!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
bbybee

Ive used the Eternabond RV Rubber Roof Repair Tape when a tree branch sliced a 3 foot gouge in my roof and it held for 5 months till I got back home. Mine was not a hurricane but a tornado.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Bill;

What is mounted on the roof over the bedroom. On my coach the only thing up there is the Air Conditioner unit. I don't have a vent inthe bedroom.If it's just like mine the suspect is the air conditioner. If you remove the interior trim. not just the filter door but the entire plastic face plate. Under there you will find fopur bolts that hold the AC down. Make sure these are tight. I have seen some that vibrate loose. I had a small leak around a vent and tried a bunch of stuff to fix it. I just got a 50 ft.roll ofEternsbond to reseal the front and rear caps on top and the vents and the bathroom skylight over the shower.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a 1 1\2 inch PVC pipe coupling to use as a roller to apply the eternabond.

Sudsy

If all else fails a can of Flex Spray clear can get in places that would take a lot of time to get to.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
jamesham

Default Eternabond works

Eternabond roof tape works really well. Flex seal tape came off a roof repair so I am not a fan of that brand. Amazon got a roll of Eternabond to me in two days so they are a good source. It worked so well on the patch and hole in the rubber roof that I purchased more and put it all the way around the edges of both end caps.

Wear old cloths and clean the roof seam well with a bucket of water and cleaner. There is a spray activator that increases stick in low temps.
We are sold on this product and keep a roll onboard for emergency repairs.

One point: if you peel off too much backing and it clings to your fingers or pants leg, it is NOT coming off. Just cut it off and get new gloves or pants.

[QUOTE=Capt_Bill_USMC;29169]Hello!
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
gbrowninc

Hi, I have a similar problem with my BT Cruiser. I get a small leak around the vent in the living area and the AC unit. The ceiling is covered with a white fabric. I have used a clear silicone calk around the vent. I am not sure it has quit leaking. I have not tried anything around the AC unit yet. What would anyone recommend for sealing these two items? Would the eternabond tape be a good choice. Also how do I clean the stains off the white ceiling material? Thanks in advance.
gbrowninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Sudsy

remove the inside trim panel and make sure the four bolts that hold the AC unit down are tight. I found clear Flex Spray first to locate the area and then the eternabond tape over the seams of the vent.

Sudsy
Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
gbrowninc

I will give that a try. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
jamesham

Default You can fix this problem with lots of elbow grease

Silicone caulk is the worst possible roof leak solution. Sorry to have to tell you that and be the bearer of bad news. It leaks, and is difficult to remove to solve the real water problem, Eternabond tape will work well to seal all around the vent and it comes in several widths with 4 inch most common. I have a difficult time with the 4 inch getting it on the roof, not on me, so I cannot imagine how people do with the 12 inch. Getting the area clean so it will stick will be difficult and lots of hard rubbing.

Is your ceiling really fabric like an auto headliner, or really short nap carpet called Ozite commonly used in RVs? There is a special product called InstaGone that is made for cleaning water stains off the light colored carpet. I have used it on my ceiling and it works great. I do not own the company, just a satisfied customer. I got it from Amazon. It comes as a dry powder that is mixed with water and applied with hand sprayer. Need a brush, shop vacuum, sponge, and lots of old bathtowels, plus some goggles or face shield so you do not get in your eyes. If your ceiling is really headliner fabric, I have no idea if InstaGone will work or is colorfast. Type InstaGone in search engine and there are multiple videos of the product usage.

[QUOTE=gbrowninc;29246]Hi, I have a similar problem with my BT Cruiser. I get a small leak around the vent in the living area and the AC unit. The ceiling is covered with a white fabric. I have used a clear silicone calk around
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #11
gbrowninc

Wow, thanks for the information. I was kind of desperate when I used the silicon calk. I did not know what else to use. You are not hurting my feelings. I have owned a lot of RV's in my life, but I have not had to do much in the way of leak repairs. I will get some eternabond tape and give it a try. I will also look at the InstaGone. It sounds like some amazing stuff. I tried diluted bleach, dabbing with a washcloth and working it into the fabric. It took well over an hour to do just the small area around the vent. It came out pretty good, but it needs another application. So this time I may try the InstaGone. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
CoachStreamr

Thumbs up Ozite Carpet Headliner and InstaGone

Thanks for posting about Ozite Carpet Headliner and InstaGone. Save for my future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesham View Post

Is your ceiling really fabric like an auto headliner, or really short nap carpet called Ozite commonly used in RVs? There is a special product called InstaGone that is made for cleaning water stains off the light colored carpet. I have used it on my ceiling and it works great. I do not own the company, just a satisfied customer. I got it from Amazon. It comes as a dry powder that is mixed with water and applied with hand sprayer. Need a brush, shop vacuum, sponge, and lots of old bathtowels, plus some goggles or face shield so you do not get in your eyes.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #13
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry111 View Post
I found Dicor material to work very well in cleaning my roof. I found it is not slippery when applied so its safe to move around on the roof while cleaning. This cleaner got all of the grime and mildew off with very little effort. I just sprayed it on and used a wet sponge to wipe it off.

To be specific, you used Dicor RP-RC-1GL Rubber Roof Cleaner, correct?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote