Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
BT Cruiz'n 2018

Default Electric on/off switch below closet

I just bought an 04 BT Cruiser and took it on it's first trip. I parked at a 30 Amp KOA site plugged in and could not use a coffee pot or microwave without running the generator so basically I dry camped. I am brand new at this and would like to know what I missed. The power at the pole was okay. I am thinking it was the electric on and off switch in the coach below the closet.
Should that be off when plugged in and on when using the house battery. Am I right or wrong? Please advise. If I plug it in at my house should it be off or on? Help please.
BT Cruiz'n 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
butter

The power switch should be on when you need power to anything in the camper. It makes no difference where the power is coming from. I usually turn the switch off when I am plugging in at a camp site, then turn it on.
butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
BT Cruiz'n 2018

Thank you. Does it matter is I turn the generator on when the power switch is on?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
butter

No, I just turn it off when plugging in to prevent sparks and the erosion of the plug ends. Also in my 07 there is a relay box that switches the power from shore to the generator when the generator is started, However it i still a good idea to unplug before starting your generator.
butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
BT Cruiz'n 2018

Thanks
I took it to my RV place and had things tested and we believe it was their power. I will not make that mistake again and buy a tester.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
Leisure Time Larry

BT Cruiz'n 2018, what model do you have? Mine is the 5211, a 2005. When plugged into the pedestal, you should get 120v to all of the receptacles inside. If not, check them all to see if any are on or off. If any are off, it could be that a breaker needs to be reset in the panel, or it could also be that the GFCI needs to be reset.

For me, it took some testing to learn my coach. For example, my "curbside" 120v circuit powers receptacles starting at the front driver-side corner to the rear passenger-side corner, terminating at the fridge. The rest are on the "roadside" circuit, which is GFCI protected via the one receptacle under the driver (road) side cabinet.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #7
BT Cruiz'n 2018

Thank you for all the replys.
I took my RV to my Service Center and had systems checked and it is okay, it was the camp pedestal. Live and Learn.