Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
johnf2000

Hi Don, Thanks for the heads up on the Tires. I will let you know how the air bag works out. I agree with the "Gulfstream itself" Very interested in the software update. Any info would be appreciated. Would love to bring the hp up a little.

Did the road king shocks up front help the rebound, bouncing, issue on the front end?

John
johnf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #22
OffRoadRat

My programmer is from TS Performance. I think their website is
TSPerformance.com. The shocks on the front helped quite a bit. But not on the rear. Even though the shock company is in Jacumba, I don't think they are good at setting the shocks up. Prior to reading about the rear air bags, I was going to take a trip to Oregon to a specialty motorhome shop that deals with suspension and especially King shocks. The have the ability to re-valve them. Are you going to have SDRV install the air bags or take it someplace else?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
johnf2000

Thanks for the programer info. Re your King Shocks. I have two race car fabricators that built my race truck which valve shocks in El Cajon. Your RV King shock is in essence the same in concept as the racing King shocks. I can give you their number if you would like. Re the air bags. I havent decided who to have install it. I might have my crew chief at my office do the installation if its not too difficult.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #24
Texas TC

I would like to have a part number on the front shocks to complete my suspension upgrade. The ACE air system has tamed the rear and I feel that a better set of front shocks would improve the front end ride even more. I have not been able to find any front shocks other than OEM so a part number and manufacturer would be a great help.

I have heard of others using the TS performance upgrade and I have never heard of any issues with it. I am waiting for my five year warranty on the engine to expire in May 2012 before I do any performance upgrades. I just don't want to do anything to void the International factory warranty.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
OffRoadRat

To Texas TC. Regarding the Road King Shocks...I do not have the part number but if you call San Diego RV and ask for Frank tell what you need and he will get it for you. Just tell him you were referred by Don Mahoney. Their number is 619-561-3531.

To John: The shocks do look similar with close to the same name. King Shocks vs Road King. I too have King coil overs and King Bypass on my LS1 buggy, but while the King Shocks have a lot of tunability (doubt that is a word). The Road Kings only have 3 valving soft, medium, firm. If you find otherwise I would love to get my changed.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
B44D

Default Air Ride

Cash in the 401k, spend the kids college fund, but you have to get an air-ride! I followed in TC Texas' footsteps and had SW International hook me up. Difference is night and day! I have a 2009 6373. The full slide, the generator, batteries, tanks, refrig, etc. are all on the driver's side. As a result, there was a 3 inch lean to that side. They installed an extra leaf spring in the back to level it out. I am heading to Crested Butte for spring break, hope the snow storms are over...I would hate to slide the smooth riding rig over the side!
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #27
schmittm

I have the TS Diesel programmer and it does make a difference. Also I just got my 6371 back from international for some warranty work and I had left the programmer on the engine. They noticed it and said nothing until I asked what they thought of it. They did not care and this shop said it would not void the warranty since it is not changing the PCM. The main thing it does is increase the fuel pressue at the injectors, so you are getting more fuel into the engine. More fuel at higher pressue equals more power.

The work that they did was replace fan clutch system because fan was not shutting off after a few miles. My last trip it took 100 miles to get the fan to turn off. They also replaced the turbo because of the squeeking (turbo farting) noise. The old turbo was not dirty, and the new turbo still does it a little. International said that this can happen. But driving home for 70 miles it seemed to run better and quiter, not as much engine noise or what sounds like valve lifters.
International has been great with their service, they did all work above under warranty along with another time changing gears in rear-end and updating PCM. You might want to check to make sure your PCM is up to date, take to international and they can update it.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #28
nailerman

Default Taking the Air Ride Plunge.

Our SN Model 6362 will be equipped in the next few weeks with ACE Air Ride System. Really looking forward to the improvement. Thanks everyone for the help. AMC
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #29
pernsdorff

I would like to see the suspension options done by Jeff too. Is that PDF that was mentioned in earlier posts available from jimbob posted somewhere?
pernsdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #30
swalter67

i have been viewing this topic for awhile ,decided to join ,finally. i have a 2008 gulfstram 6400 supernova, and was wondering why not anyone has considered the air suspension system that kelderman has to offer.?they make a system for the international chassis . it looks very similar to the system offered by ace . less than half the price ....? www.kelderman.com
swalter67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
Texas TC

I actually researched kelderman before going with the ACE system. I could not find anyone in my area of North Texas that would install the system. When I mentioned it to my local International dealer, they were not familiar with kelderman but had used the ACE system on several applications in the past and were very familiar with the installation so, that is the reason I went with American Carrier Equipment. I wish someone would try kelderman and give us an analysis. The systems are quite similar.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #32
Walldo

I have researched Kelderman, they have a nice system, but the ACE system is designed to act as an air ride system and use the factory spring's as control arms, where the Kelderman adds another pivot point with its brackets and function as a secondary suspension. Kelderman is said to ride really nice but the ACE in my opinion is a better system, and plan to get the ACE system installed by Southwest International this summer shortly after I move to Texas.....
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #33
bou2

Default another newbie to board

Hello all - I was very happy to get to this site to review your comments and questions. I have just purchased a 2008 GS Ultra with only 9,500 miles when I picked the rig up just south of Dallas.

I've been driving motorhomes pulling boats a number of years and the Ultra handled well coming back to Los Angeles. I had airbags on my F350 with 11.5 foot camper and loved what they did.

Here is my current problem, I have a "hidden hitch" and drag my butt on even small to slightly moderate exits. My opinion is the hitch is 1.5" too low.

I would install an air bag system just to achieve the ride benefits you all have mentioned, but does anyone have other thoughts?

Thanks, Carl
bou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #34
Nanaeve

Default ACE Suspension

Well, we just returned from a 2000 mi trip to So. Colorado, No. Arizonia, with our 09 Endura on the International chassis and rear air suspension and love it! Sure does handle the roads better, the potholes and expansion strips seem alot less brutal than at first and it just seems more relaxed than before. I'm glad we did it and not surprised that GS is using a chassis with air suspension for the new International product. Anyone thinking of taking the step , do so if you plan on putting on the miles and you will enjoy the trip more. And, in passing, a question, has anyone had any dealings with Tony Suddon at GS, I've replaced batteries at his O.K. and have not been reimbursed as promised, is there someone else I should be dealing with this month?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #35
johnf2000

Default ACE Air Ride Suspension Super Nova Gulfstream

I just installed the ACE air ride system. I went ahead and did the installation myself. It took 2 days with one person. We located the compressor, in between the frame rails, right behind the rear axel. All I can say is WOW! What a difference.

Previous to the installation, I enjoyed the coach, but did not enjoy the ride. On some HWY's 55 mph at best, while the noise level in the back was ridiculous. In the past year my refrigerator has been knocked out, cabinets, and trim falling off the walls. It was a miserable ride, tearing the coach up. When you would come to a bridge crossing, you would have to slow down below 55mph in some situations so the front end of the truck wouldn't bounce so high that it reached the limits on the extensions of the font shocks. Its amazing that Gulfstream would even have sold this unit with the leaf spring rear end. Go look under your coach the axel rides directly on rubber bump stops connected directly to the frame, no up-travel.

After the Installation of the ACE air ride system. The coach is now worth owning. You can cruise down the hwy at 75+ mph and not worry about the bumps coming ahead. The noise level in the back is reduced by at least 75%. The original rear suspension, the axel rides directly on the frame with a rubber bump stop between the axel and the frame with no shocks, just leaf springs. Every little tiny bump on the road is transfered directly to the coach. This also caused the front to bounce high going over bridges since the coach was pivoting directly on the rear frame. With the air ride system, the front does not bounce like a Tijuana Taxi over bumps and the vibrations are almost eliminated. You do get a little body roll, but not bad considering the stock unit could not have body roll since the axel has (0") free suspension up travel. The Coach still holds true going by big rigs and in the wind.

Previously, a 6 hour drive would leave me exhausted. I just finished a 16 hour trip and enjoyed every minute of it.

This is the answer to the supernova. I purchased this unit because I loved the cab, the layout of the coach, and the looks. But I hated the ride. I now really, really, like my super nova.

The ACE system is worth every penny. Very rarely can you buy a product and get incredible satisfaction from it. This is one of those items. Not to mention the guys that own ACE are very nice people. Company is American Carrier, ask for Phil 1-800-344-2174
Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
nailerman

It is so great to hear all the good things about the ACE Air Ride. Our SN is sitting at Crenshaw's here in Richmond so they can start first think Monday and get her don. We have a trip planned to Bulls Gap and Limestone, TN on Wednesday and can't wait. I saw where Crenshaw got back their dealership with ACE also. Phil at ACE is a person who really helps his company do a good job. Wish Goofstream would do the same.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
johnf2000

Default Re: another newbie to board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bou2
Hello all - I was very happy to get to this site to review your comments and questions. I have just purchased a 2008 GS Ultra with only 9,500 miles when I picked the rig up just south of Dallas.

I've been driving motorhomes pulling boats a number of years and the Ultra handled well coming back to Los Angeles. I had airbags on my F350 with 11.5 foot camper and loved what they did.

Here is my current problem, I have a "hidden hitch" and drag my butt on even small to slightly moderate exits. My opinion is the hitch is 1.5" too low.

I would install an air bag system just to achieve the ride benefits you all have mentioned, but does anyone have other thoughts?

Thanks, Carl
I had the same problem as you describe above.

The air ride will lift the rear of the coach. It will lift it approx 1-3" off from the axel to the rubber bump stops on the frame. Note that this is not like your air bags on your pick up truck which increase your spring rate. It is actually replacing the use of your leaf springs entirely. In the end, you will get a gain of rear hitch clearance.

To help the issue, I removed the metal triangular shaped skid at the bottom of the hidden hitch and replaced it with a strong metal wheel. I gained approx 3/4 inch clearance and made the scraping of the hitch a little easier with the roller wheel. You need to leave a certain amount sticking out below the hitch so that it takes the hit and not the ball mount on the trailer when you bottom out.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #38
nailerman

Yep had to remove the "skid" Goofstream" "welded" on the Trailer Hitch on my 6362. I also put back a heavy duty steel wheel. The skid came off easily with the chewing gum weld Goofstream used. I had my guy weld the wheel mount back properly. Works fine.

This might be unnecessary coming out of my driveway since the air ride is supposed to raise the coach a little. The air ride is being installed as I write this and the SN will go to Tennessee on Wednesday.

How much drop to you use for the hitch since it is 23 Inches from the pavement? My boat trailer and utility trailer demand a lot less than "Bessie" supplies.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #39
michaelmangine

johnf2000, how hard of an install was it and how much and were did you buy it thanks
michaelmangine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #40
nailerman

Yes johnf2000 I too would like to know how you could describe the ease with which you installed the ACE Air Ride on a 37 Foot SN.

My early 08 (07 International 4200) Model 6362 is not doing so well at the moment. Seems the rear Levelers had to be removed in order to get the unit into place. Looks like Goofstream may have put mine in an experimental location close behind the rear axle. On later models they must have moved them back.

I delivered the SN to Crenshaw Friday afternoon so that they could get an early start on Monday, yesterday. I figured two days, budgeted such and was assured. When I was down there a couple of hours ago, pieces were everywhere. Five jacks and stands were holding sections and the RV in the air. I was told that the levelers had to come out to get the ACE Unit in place. I was hoping to have the SN back tonight to go on business to TN. That is the reason I own an RV. Further, I have air already in the SN and all that was need was to plumb tubing to the rear. I heard all the accolades on how easy the installation was going to be and that I would really love it. Right now all I can say is "disappointment."

Now if they get it done this week, I cannot pick it up until Monday as I will not return until then and Crenshaws is not open on Saturday.