Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
big john

Default DC Electric 50AMP fuse keeps popping

I have a 2016 AmeriLite 24 foot travel trailer and have had an issue with the 12V DC electrical system from the time I purchased it new. On the frame close to the battery is a 50 amp auto reseting circuit breaker/fuse. The battery cable goes to this fuse and on the out side is the main DC cable going back to the converter, also there are things such as the nose jack, these items are protected by a 40amp fuse that has never popped. This 50 amp fuse continually pops effectively shutting down the DC system. As long as I have AC power connected or am connected to the truck the systems work. THis fuse has no reason for when it pops, sometimes it's day's sometimes hours. I have had back to the dealer several times where they can never find the problem, however because I paid for an extended warranty they charge me labor whenever they can't find the problem. Any ideas?
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Frutza

Are you trying to figure it out your self? or advising the dealer? Have they tried changing the breaker? It should come to fuse panel, but what other loads are on this line besides the jack? slides? put a fuse or breaker inline to your other loads, put a 40 or 30 amp in line to the slide motors, the fuse panel and the converter, to help you isolate what's bad
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
big john

I am trying to figure it out myself as I have all ready shelled out more then five hundred dollars just to be told they cannot find anything wrong. Everything that comes into the main line is protected by 40 amp fuses and none have blown. I have not put one into the fuse panel or converter but will now and then my next stop is to visually check the wiring for a break that would short out.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Steveg

I think you are onto the problem. It sounds like the breaker is weak, or you have a cut in the wire that is shorting to frame, causing the trip. If your 40 amp breakers don’t trip, then it can’t be a legitimate load of more than 50 amps. 50 amps will cause a decent spark, so make sure that if you find a break in the wire, that some of the strands have not melted, effectively reducing the size of your wire. You would have to replace the wire, or splice in a new piece before taping the break. If the wire is exposed to weather at the break, use liquid rubber or some kind of sealer, before taping it, to avoid oxidation problems later on your repairs. I’m a licensed amateur radio operator, so I have liquid rubber, and a product called coax seal, which is a rubber tape that bonds to itself, forming a water tight barrier. Good luck.
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I have a 2016 AmeriLite 24 foot travel trailer and have had an issue with the 12V DC electrical system from the time I purchased it new. On the frame close to the battery is a 50 amp auto reseting circuit breaker/fuse. The battery cable goes to this fuse and on the out side is the main DC cable going back to the converter, also there are things such as the nose jack, these items are protected by a 40amp fuse that has never popped. This 50 amp fuse continually pops effectively shutting down the DC system. As long as I have AC power connected or am connected to the truck the systems work. THis fuse has no reason for when it pops, sometimes it's day's sometimes hours. I have had back to the dealer several times where they can never find the problem, however because I paid for an extended warranty they charge me labor whenever they can't find the problem. Any ideas?
Could be the battery. If the battery was drawing too much amperage then that breaker will trip. Probably the main function of that breaker. Easy to check. Just take your battery in to a full service auto parts store and have it checked out.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
big john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveg View Post
I think you are onto the problem. It sounds like the breaker is weak, or you have a cut in the wire that is shorting to frame, causing the trip. If your 40 amp breakers don’t trip, then it can’t be a legitimate load of more than 50 amps. 50 amps will cause a decent spark, so make sure that if you find a break in the wire, that some of the strands have not melted, effectively reducing the size of your wire. You would have to replace the wire, or splice in a new piece before taping the break. If the wire is exposed to weather at the break, use liquid rubber or some kind of sealer, before taping it, to avoid oxidation problems later on your repairs. I’m a licensed amateur radio operator, so I have liquid rubber, and a product called coax seal, which is a rubber tape that bonds to itself, forming a water tight barrier. Good luck.
Thanks for the help.Still having the issue but have had no luck finding a break in the wire. I have changed the fuse but still had the same issue. I will keep looking. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
big john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Could be the battery. If the battery was drawing too much amperage then that breaker will trip. Probably the main function of that breaker. Easy to check. Just take your battery in to a full service auto parts store and have it checked out.

Thanks for the help, I've had the battery checked and it was good but being stubborn I bought a new one and put it in and still had the same issue so I had the new battery checked but it was good.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Restorium

All that's left is the converter.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote