Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Barometer

Default Shower door sweep replacement

Three months ago I purchased a 1999 Gulfstream Classic and among of its several minor issues, it has a torn shower door bottom sweep.

The shower door sweep fits in a slot in the bottom door frame. Using an old dental pick I was able to coax a section out of the slot, and it looks like it has a half round head, about 3/16" across and its about 3/4" in width. Now one of the issues is the old sweep appears to be made of rubber, while all the new sweeps I can find are vinyl. The other and bigger issue is that I am wary of trying to unscrew the bottom door frame and tapping the bottom frame down far enough so that I can access the end of the slot to make installation of the new sweep possible. With my luck I would smash the glass or tear the seal that the glass sits in, or not be able to get the bottom back in.
I might have been able to shove a rubber sweep into the slot, but a more rigid vinyl sweep, I don't think so.
The other option I thought about was removing the half round top of the new sweep, put silicone along the upper edge and just shove it up into the slot, squeezing more silicone in to fill any voids.

Has any one had any experience with replacing their sweeps?
Barometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Chuck v

The vinyl shower door sweep on my 2007 Tout Master coach installs from the hinge side of the door bottom -- no need to take anything apart.

Have you tried pulling the old sweep out that direction?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Barometer

Boy do I feel like an idiot! I just went out and checked mine, and the slot is open on the hinge side too. Thank you so much for the information. The replacement just got a heck of a lot easier.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Barometer

So I first ordered a Prime-line M6230 half round shower sweep. It was very rigid and I had to soak it in hot water to get rid of the curl from it being rolled up. Then I couldn't get it to fit in the slot in the shower door. I actually had to sand the top to get it to fit, and could only get it in using dish soap as a lubricant, and I still shaved part of the sides off getting it along the channel. Anyway it lasted one shower. That's it, one shower. Not enough clearance between my door bottom and the frame and the vinyl ripped. So back on-line I go, this time ordering a Slide-co 194356. It is supposed to be the exact same measurements as the first sweep I bought, and the package says it was manufactured to Prime-line specifications. Well anyway the Slide-co sweep is more supple. Unrolled easily and fit into the channel easy as pie. This time however, I took the precaution of cutting the sweep portion down , making it about half its original width, so there is less material that has to bend as the door opens and closes. I think this time this is going to work, but I still have enough to do it again, if it doesn't work the way I like