Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
gorusty

Default Water Disappearing

At first I thought I was crazy, but then I realized I am crazy, but I do have a water mystery. I filled the fresh water tank. Approximately 8hrs later it was nearly empty. There was no puddle of water under the coach. There was a small puddle around the toilet, but when you flush it I couldn't see a leak. Where could this water be going? I haven't crawled into the storage bays yet, I will do that tonight.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty
gorusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
03heritagerider

Rusty,

Well, I doubt evaporation is the culprit, so you need to look elsewhere.

Not sure how much water was in the tank, but if it was leaking into the compartments, it would likely get out somewhere. Probably around the doors, or a vent hole, or something. I don't think any of the compartments are tight enough to hold back 50 or more gallons of water.

My first thought was to check to see if the fresh water pump is running when it shouldn't. A dripping sink or shower faucet, or a stuck open toilet valve (you did mention a puddle around the toilet), will cause the pump to operate and the water can simply be running into the waste tank.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Beaufort NC

How did you determine the tank is empty?
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Chuck v

Rusty,

When trying to trace a leak of this sort, it can be useful to try to get some idea of how fast the water pressure in the self contained system is being lost (how fast the water is leaking...) This is done without any fresh water hook-up connected, so the internal tank system is the only one active.

When you turn on the pump and it comes up to pressure and turns itself off -- how long does it take before it runs again? With all the faucets turned off and no leaks, it should not run again for many hours, if ever. In addition to looking for leaks at the plumbing fixtures and at the piping joints, there is also the possibility that the check valve at the fresh water hook-up is leaking.

Of course, if the pump does not run then you don't have a leak on the pressurized side, and if the tank is still really loosing level it must be upstream of the pump (in the tank wall/floor itself or the piping feeding the pump...)

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
RayChez1

All compartments have drains, so if you had a leak you would have seen water pouring out. Check your water gauge, it might not be giving you a true reading and if your water pump was running then either the gray tank or black tank would be filled all the way to the top and into the shower. If your water tank was full 100 gallons and all of a sudden it is empty, if it went into the black tank 55 gallons it would over fill the black tank. If it went into the grey tank 65 gallons, that would also be over filled. So I narrow the problems to a bad gauge reading.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
RJ82much

and of course there are the reports that the fresh water tank will be siphoned via the overflow. Not sure just how this supposedly happens but there have been reports, and I once "lost" a large part of my fresh water without trace or explanation.

Supposedly this will/can occur if you fill your tank to near full. I now only fill to 3/4 approx and haven't seen a reocurrance of the dissapearing act.

I'll leave it to others to pass judgement on my sanity.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
and of course there are the reports that the fresh water tank will be siphoned via the overflow. Not sure just how this supposedly happens but there have been reports, and I once "lost" a large part of my fresh water without trace or explanation.

Supposedly this will/can occur if you fill your tank to near full. I now only fill to 3/4 approx and haven't seen a reocurrance of the dissapearing act.

I'll leave it to others to pass judgement on my sanity.

Yes, it can siphone of the overflow, but you will have lots of water on the ground.
OP says he does not see any water on the ground or anywhere else. So it is kind of a mystery if you ask me.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote