Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
manoutdoors

Default New Owner, need help with switches.

Hello! My wife and I recently, and unexpectedly, became the proud new owners of a 1989 Gulfstream Sun Sport. I've spent the last week going through the various equipment manuals learning how it works and getting familiar with the rig. I've managed to figure out most of it, but there are some switches on the dashboard that I am unable to figure out what they do (or are supposed to do). A few of them don't seem to do anything other than light up when I press them. I'm attaching a picture and if anyone could give me some insight, it would be much appreciated. (In particular, I'm very curious about what the two fan switches and the one on the far right of the top row are supposed to do.) Unfortunately, the information that came from Gulfstream was not very helpful.

Thanks!
Jeff

http://flic.kr/p/avLtiA
manoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: New Owner, need help with switches.

Regarding the fan icons...If you have fans above your dash, usually hanging from the overhead/ceiling above the windshield, they are probably for that ( I only have one switch that works both fans. If nothing happens when you flip the switch, check to see if there are switches on the sides of the fans. They may have to be on first for the dash switches to work.

The one on the far right, top row is the easy one...It's the icing on the top of a Hostess Cupcake! Sorry! Couldn't help myself!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
larrybell

If you will download the Gulfstream Motorized Owner's Manual, there is a page that shows the purpose of each icon. I think the website is gulfstreamrv.com.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
03heritagerider

Here is the link for the motorized manual. http://gulfstreamrv.com/downloads/Motor ... Manual.pdf

I was right on the fan icon, but the squiggly line one is not shown.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Luckiest Dreamer

Just a guess but the one on the right may be indicating a heat coil. Check to see if you have heated mirrors and see if they get warm when it is on. An engine block heater may be something to look into as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
hrdwrknghnds

I have the same unit with the same 8 switches. Top row Left to right. Fan symbol= aux defrost fans for windshield. if you dont see two fans around the windshield, then the switches wont do anything. although they are pre wired, i dont knomw where the wires go to if the fans arent installed. other two switches on top row i have no idea, although i do know that in my coach those 2 are not pre wired. Bottom row: 1st switch on left is momentary switch that will flash all of your running lamps while leaving headlamps on. 2nd switch is pre wired and says fog lamps on wiring. i dont have fog lamps so.. it does nothing. 3rd switch is pre wired and tagged aisle lamps I dont have aisle lamps so.. it does nothing. 4th and final switch turns on the two overhead map lights. FYI it is powered from the coach chassis battery, not the house battery. my unit came with all the literature supplied as purchased new and the manuals i have make no mention of any of those switches. i know because i had the dash out last weekend on a electrical gremlin hunt and anything that was wired was labeled. For what its worth, i have put 10k on my unit in the last 2 years since i purchased it and have had no real issues. my biggest expense was e new fridge. and house batteries. only problems ive had were the converter which was repaired for $7.00 ( a 15 amp automotive style circuit breaker) and the dash HVAC i had to replace the blower relay.. about $15.00 i think. overall i couldnt be happier with my retro vintage gulfstream.
sound like the high dollar newer units have alot more problems!!
Cheers!!
Lee