Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
lex

Default Gulstream Friendship G7 Slide Won't Go Out

Hi, we have 2 electric slides in the bedroom and 2 hyd in the front. Friends are away on a trip and cannot get the bedroom slide to go out. I hear it worked the first couple of nights of the trip and now, no more. They say it makes a noise like trying to work but does not move. The other opposite rear slide moves in and out, but it is much smaller.

I have a theory on what might be going on, but trying to confirm with this question. I don't remember if the rear slides will work at all if the batteries are not up to par, but the CAT engine is turned on?

They claim they have tried to move the slide with engine on, but still nothing. My theory is that if there is a bad battery(s), even with engine or generator on, the slide may not have enough power to move out either due to low or bad batteries.

I know the slide needs 12 volts but can't test right now and attempting to diagnose remotely...thinking new house batteries might make this problem go away.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Dennis4809

Default Re: Gulstream Friendship G7 Slide Won't Go Out

If you think it might be a low voltage situation, try starting the generator. My house batteries aren't charging from the engine but the generator powers the inverter/converter that does charge the batteries.

Good luck,
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
lex

I don't doubt what you are saying. But when I called Lippert Components (took over Power Gear) the tech support told me the engine should also always be on when running the slides. I can run the engine while putting out the rear slides, but safety prevents the front ones from going out with the key in the ignition. I not sure of the relationship as it doesn't seem the slide outs draw any power from the running engine.

Based upon what you are saying, perhaps the generator itself is the only mechanism to charge the house batteries. I am now questioning if shore power charges the house batteries or contributes any power the rear slide outs?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Chuck v

Shore power definitely charges my house batteries on my GS TourMaster...when I had batteries that were end-of life and I was taking it in to get the batteries replaced, I had to stay on shore power to pull the slides in since the batteries themselves were inadequate...although I could have also run the generator.

On my coach I have never tried to operate the slides with the engine running, so not sure if there is an interlock...I know that there is an interlock that keeps the front driver's side slide from moving out or coming in unless the driver's seat is fully forward. You should only deploy or retract the slides when the coach is level -- and I do need to have the ignition ON to operate the leveling system. Then I shut it all down, move the driver's seat fully forward and then deploy the slides.

Your earlier coach may be different...but I would imagine that they would be very similar being adjacent years.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
RayChez1

There is a circuit breaker that will trip every so often and it is for the slides. The circuit breaker is located on the passenger side compartment towards the rear next to the battery compartment. Reset it and the slide should work. Slide on driver side only operates if the seat is all the way forward.

Now the slides operate off the house batteries and those are charged with the inverter/charger or your generator. The big Cat alternator will charge the chassis batteries, but IF you are driving and your house batteries are low I have heard that the alternator will also charge your house batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
Dennis4809

My hyd slides operate off the chassis batteries. Ours has been setting for awhile but on shore power which for me does not charge the chassis batteries. Yesterday went to open the slides. No go, low voltage. Tried to start the Cat but no enough battery. Connected a battery charger for a hour or so then opened the slides and later started the engine.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
RayChez1

Dennis, you should be able to start the diesel engine with the house batteries just by pressing on the rocker switch on your dash, to jump start. Just hold it down for a few seconds and try cranking the engine while you are holding the rocker switch down.
I had to do that to mine because my chassis batteries were low from setting too long. But with the house batteries it fired right up, THEN the alternator from your big engine will charge up the chassis batteries.

No need to put a charger on if you are going to drive the coach. Let the alternator do the job.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote