Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
MarkG

Default Buyer Beware - Fresh and Waste Tank Sizes

We purchased a new 2017 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 218MB in July of 2017. After using the RV a few times, we noticed the fresh water tank was empty sooner than we had anticipated it should be and the waste tanks seemed to fill up sooner than anticipated. In the summer of 2018 I discovered that the stated capacities of the RV did not match the actual capacities for the fresh water system and both the black and grey waste tanks. Using a 6-gallon portable water tank I filled the fresh water tank and discovered it would only hold approximately 18 gallons. If you add in the 6 gallons in the hot water tank it equals 24 gallons however once the pump loses prime the water in the hot water tank and lines becomes unusable. The manufacturer specifications state the capacity of the fresh water system is 30 gallons. Using the same 6-gallon portable water tank I discovered that both the black and grey tanks would only hold approximately 24 gallons when filled from empty. The manufacturer specifications state the capacity of each of these tanks to be 36 gallons. I contacted Gulf Stream via their web site and had several email exchanges and their response was basically that the tanks in my unit are the correct size. I contacted the manufacturer of the tanks who confirmed their capacities do not match what Gulf Stream shows. The fresh and waste tanks capacities were one of the reasons we chose this model. Needless to say we are very disappointed that the waste tanks hold 12 gallons less than the stated capacity and the fresh water "system" holds 6 gallons less than the stated capacity. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Indiana Attorney General. Gulf Stream stands by their specifications and stated the fresh water tank is the correct size. They failed to address the waste tank discrepancies in either complaint.

In my opinion Gulf Stream is misleading customers by providing incorrect information in their specifications and should be held accountable.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Sundancer268

I agree with you 100% if the specs are published and don't match the product after sale, Gulf Stream should be held accountable.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
RayChez1

On my coach I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank, and my grey tank holds 55 gallons, and the grey 45 gallons. My understanding is that the fresh water tank is suppose to be the total of the black and grey tanks.

I believe you have a legitimate complain and hold them accountable for the false information and should correct it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
On my coach I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank, and my grey tank holds 55 gallons, and the grey 45 gallons. My understanding is that the fresh water tank is suppose to be the total of the black and grey tanks.

I believe you have a legitimate complain and hold them accountable for the false information and should correct it.

There are no "standards" for capacities. It's more about what shape (capacity) tanks will fit the configuration. I don't think there is even a problem here. Just a consumer that isn't reading the information correctly.

Sudsy
Old 03-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
MarkG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
There are no "standards" for capacities. It's more about what shape (capacity) tanks will fit the configuration. I don't think there is even a problem here. Just a consumer that isn't reading the information correctly.

Sudsy

If a brochure and online specs state capacities of water systems and the actual capacities are off by 12 gallons per waste tank then there's a problem. If they simply state the actual capacities in their published information then I wouldn't have a complaint. I imagine this is a problem across the board for RV manufacturers. How many people actually measure the true capacities of their fresh and waste water systems. Gulf Stream falsified information to sell a product.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

On my 99, I found the 99 tank specs 40% smaller than the 2000 tank specs, but my floorplan (because it reversed toilet/ sink in 2000, matched the 2000 floorplan)... yeah, mine feels like smaller tanks ( from my limited use
Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
RayChez1

I don't know about all the coaches and trailers Gulf Stream has manufactured if the black and gray tanks total what the fresh water tank holds, but they should according to all coach manufacturers spec's that I have read. It is very important especially if you are boon docking. When your 100 gallon tank is running empty, both black and grey tanks should be about full. Usually the gray will fill up sooner due to collecting water from the shower, lavatory and kitchen. That is why the gray tanks are suppose to be bigger then the black tank which collects water only from the toilet.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
KampinKevin

Just a thought: I watched an interesting Youtube video last night where a guy was discussing how even the slightest level issue (side to side) of his rig dramatically effected how much water his tanks would hold. I've noticed that my tanks are wide and shallow, so I can see that this could be an issue for me as well. He mentioned measuring about a 15 - 20% apparent decrease in his tank capacities! He now parks his rig on boards on the fill side when filling and on the drain side when draining (to help gravity).
KampinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Microguy

This is a valid issue, and one I wondered about. I dont recall the exact sizes, but was a bit surprised at the various tank sizes. I didvexpect them to "add up" a little closely. And was even more surprised at how fast they filled up when using them (haven't had a need to use the fresh tank yet).

I'll fill mine up and check them out.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microguy View Post
This is a valid issue, and one I wondered about. I dont recall the exact sizes, but was a bit surprised at the various tank sizes. I didvexpect them to "add up" a little closely. And was even more surprised at how fast they filled up when using them (haven't had a need to use the fresh tank yet).

I'll fill mine up and check them out.

Make sure the unit is level. Even a little left side high. I just realized last year that my bathroom sink drains into the black tank. And I though the girls were pissin too much.

Sudsy
Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
RayChez1

Sudsy, that is very different from most coaches. Ordinarily the only thing that goes into the black tank is the toilet or toilets. That is why the blank tank is smaller then the gray tanks which are suppose to take water from the shower, kitchen sink and the sink in the bathroom. Lots more water goes into the gray tanks. Showers is what fills up tanks real quick. Mine will fill up in five to six days. 55 gallons on my gray tank and 45 on the black tank. 100 gallons on the fresh water, 12 gallons on the water heater.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #12
Leisure Time Larry

It's more common than you think. My bathroom sink also drains into the black tank. One thing about RV manufacturers, if there is a easier or cheaper way to do it, they will.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
Microguy

We did check that, and it kinda makes sense to sort of divide the water up between the two tanks, kitchen sink and shower in one, toilet and bath sink in the other. And at least in ours, it would make it a bit easier from a plumbing\piping perspective.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
218mb, waste tank, water tank