Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Wolfpack

Default CRT TV Change out

We have a 2008 GS Yellowstone 8358, with two old school CRT TV's. Want to change them out to flat screen LED's. We dry camp mostly and don't want run the generator to watch TV. Trying to determine which is best/easiest for the conversion: 12v DC or 120v AC LED TV's powered by an inverter.

Questions:
  1. Which way on the new TV's: 12v DC or 120v AC on inverter circuit?
    • Brand/model recommendation?
  2. If 120v, any idea how difficult it is to put the TV receptacle circuits on to the inverter? Are they dedicated from the factory?
  3. Lastly, I don't have an inverter now. Recommendations on brand to choose. I'll size it according to the demand once I know which direction I'm headed.

Thank you for any tips you might have.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
jd625

We have a 2007 Yellowstone and changed out the CRT a couple years ago. We chose 120V Vizio LEDs that have held up well. The driver area we flush mounted and added trim to fill the gap (huge void behind the tv). The bedroom was on a wall mounted tv mount (to ceiling).

We lucked out that both the front and rear tv outlets were on the same 120V circuit (as well as the refrigerator, go figure). Just use trial and error to identify your circuit wiring. We chose to add an inverter with an auto transfer switch (Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch) for just that circuit. I had a Black and Decker 750W already and this was an experiment at the time. The 750W can only handle about 6A. The fridge draws too much and when we're boondocking it's on propane anyhow. We just have to make sure the fridge isn't set to Auto or the inverter will cut off. I've never gotten around to upgrading the inverter as our power needs are simple when we boondock. We do pour over for coffee, outdoor propane for most cooking and solar for keeping the 12V charged. Our arrangement would not work for someone with more needs.

We chose the 120V route to avoid specialty equipment. We can easily replace the TVs from any retailer. Note the current draw on whatever you choose. Our front tv (larger) draws ~0.4 amp, the rear ~0.25 amp. We did all the power analysis when we added solar.

If you're lucky, both of yours are also on the same circuit. Easy upgrade if so. Hope it works out for you.
jd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Wolfpack

Perfect! Exactly what I want to do. I'll have that huge void behind both as each are in a cabinet. Oh, well.

I'll research your inverter. May hit you back up for help on how to wire it in.

Thank you jd625!!
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
jd625

There are many higher quality inverter options out there, so definitely do your research. Consider your future capacity as well as the quality of the power. What I mean by quality is you will read terms like "pure sine wave" or "modified". It's the waveform of the inverter output. https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...the-difference
I accept that what I've got is a cheaper modified output and it is less efficient (and potentially damaging) to the electronics. I really should upgrade it, but we are only dry once or twice a year and don't use it a lot even then. Xantrex has some nice true sine wave inverters with plenty of capacity if you wanted the full 15A capacity. If you do a lot of dry camping, I'd choose a quality product from the start.

Our load panel is under the queen bed, easily accessible with room for the inverter and auto switch. Consider where you'll be mounting your extra hardware as you shop. All our wiring was short runs.
jd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Microguy

One thing to keep in mind, if you use an inverter (12V to 120) you're just wasting power. IF you have 12V, AND can get a 12V operational TV (With the quality etc... all being acceptable), then thats the way to go for power savings.

Otherwise, youre converting 12V to 120, and some unused heat, and then back to 12V again in the TV.

If you already have 120, then its no big deal. But if you need an inverter running off the 12, youre just wasting power. How much depends on the quality ($$) of the inverter.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
jim39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
We have a 2008 GS Yellowstone 8358, with two old school CRT TV's. Want to change them out to flat screen LED's. We dry camp mostly and don't want run the generator to watch TV. Trying to determine which is best/easiest for the conversion: 12v DC or 120v AC LED TV's powered by an inverter.

Questions:
  1. Which way on the new TV's: 12v DC or 120v AC on inverter circuit?
    • Brand/model recommendation?
  2. If 120v, any idea how difficult it is to put the TV receptacle circuits on to the inverter? Are they dedicated from the factory?
  3. Lastly, I don't have an inverter now. Recommendations on brand to choose. I'll size it according to the demand once I know which direction I'm headed.

Thank you for any tips you might have.
We bought an Element 21" LED TV from Walmart that runs on 12 volts and we also dry camp. It uses only a couple of amps and our solar panel always keep up with our usage. For inverters, almost all are efficient. We had a cheapie inverter on our old TV and it did cause noise problems through the sound system. So, just be able to return the inverter if it does not seem to be doing the job. Try to keep it as small as possible that will do the job. Bigger ones have bigger fans and can be irritating.
jim39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
bse12854

Replaced CRT with 21 " Flat panel Vizio 120 volt also added Amazon stick 4G and teathered to phone for all reception.Also added battery back up for the 120 volt. And a rica cd player with surround sound and amazon blue tooth.
bse12854 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crt, crttv, inverter, ledtv