Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
Graygal

Continued.
We could not get our slides in due to empty coach batteries. Running the engine did not help. We had to connect up our Honda 2000 back up generator.
Graygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #22
CAP

I have the 2006 5291 and it might be in the same place as mine. Your not going to believe this one.......

It's under the kitchen sink. Take the right side panel out first, then remove the back panel. BINGO

Carolyn
Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #23
purduepete12

No, that is not the same thing as the power converter. I have that same relay under my bathroom sink also. The power converter is located under the left bowl of the kitchen sink.
You have to remove the "J-trap" and then rip out the back wall panel in this cupboard. It is plugged into the back of the breaker panel with an AC cord and plug. It's just laying on top of the jumble of wires that go to the back of the breaker panel. It has an Aluminum housing about 14"X12"X3" Auto fuses in the back. One of these failed in mine and that is why I had no DC power to drive the slide out motors.

Pete
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #24
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete12 View Post
No, that is not the same thing as the power converter. I have that same relay under my bathroom sink also. The power converter is located under the left bowl of the kitchen sink.
You have to remove the "J-trap" and then rip out the back wall panel in this cupboard. It is plugged into the back of the breaker panel with an AC cord and plug. It's just laying on top of the jumble of wires that go to the back of the breaker panel. It has an Aluminum housing about 14"X12"X3" Auto fuses in the back. One of these failed in mine and that is why I had no DC power to drive the slide out motors.

Pete
That could be a replacement convertor. The way you describe it as laying on top of some wiring sounds like a retrofit. I have replaced mine twice. Make sure there's nothing blocking the cooling fan or it will die prematurely.
You can move it to the battery compartment. I have mine so outside air can be pulled in by the cooling fan.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
purduepete12

No, it's the original as I am the original owner. I should have at least been mounted either on a shelf or on the wall. I am concerned about the fan as it was not running, but I was'nt sure if it was on a thermostat and only ran when the converter got hot.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete12 View Post
No, it's the original as I am the original owner. I should have at least been mounted either on a shelf or on the wall. I am concerned about the fan as it was not running, but I was'nt sure if it was on a thermostat and only ran when the converter got hot.
It only runs when it's warm and trips the heat sensor.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #27
purduepete12

Thanks! That's good to know. It appears to be working ok.
My next problem is that while out camping last time the dining room slide motor gearbox exploded while running out the slide. It's a Power Gear PN 524664. Anyone out there know of a salvage outlet that might have one of these motors. I've bought one before at Ickies RV Salvage in Montpelier, IN, but they don't have anymore. They are quite pricey straight from the factory.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
ChrisW

On my 2006 5291 the transfer switch is under the bathroom sink and the converter is behind the fuse panel near the floor below the thermostat. 4 screws and the fuse panel comes out and gives access to the converter. My batteries were not charging and I found the three fuses on the converter blown.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #29
sammywolfordwv

Default Converter/ATS Issues

Graygal,
We have the same model as yourself. We had a generator problem and had to find the ATS, Automatic Transfer Switch.. not sure if that is the same thing as a converter. Appreciate any help!
Ours is under the bathroom sink ... in a black box in a dark spot.[/QUOTE]
sammywolfordwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #30
purduepete12

Yes, the ATS is under the bathroom sink. The converter box is behind the breaker/fuse box on the side panel of the kitchen sink near the floor.
I had to take out the back panel under the kitchen sink (after removing the "J" trap) to get to mine. It had one fuse blown so my slide motors were not getting any DC power.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #31
B.Woodruff

Mine was behind the fuse panel as you come in the door. I took a drawer above it out to excess it. Mine was unplugged. It’s really a stupid place to put it. Hope this helps.
B.Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:38 PM   #32
hossross

can you measure the voltage at the Batteries when the switch for the slides is depressed. 12.6 should be enough, but if it drops to lke 10 volts when switch is depressed, then yes I would say batts are failing. Do you have a regular 6 or 12 V battery charger? if so change the batts directly, although the converter is its self just a battery charger. what is the batt voltage with engine off and no shore power, then with engine running, and then with engine off but shore power connected to 110. the engine should also charge the batteries, so if it doesn't the problem isn't the converter.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #33
hossross

You still have other problems, cause the engine running should have charged the coach batt what you found was the converter was not charging, maybe the 25 amp fuse is in both source paths, don't know the circuit details but I would still measure the voltage the 3 ways I listed in my other post. take you less than 7 minutes to confirm
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote