Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
eagleman

Default need info on replacing siding on '92 Sun Voyager

My old 92' Sun Voyager is suffering from plywood rotting in the exterior lower siding. Also, the old baggage doors make the motorhome look very old (dah). I am thinking about ripping off all of the siding below the seam on the side of the motorhome. The thought is to replace all of the lower plywood/fiberglass siding with "panels" like the newer motorhomes. I am considering using fiberglass or aluminum for the skin of these panels stiffened with vertical aluminum braces as backing and mounting points. Panels covering basement storage would be hinged at the top and latched at the bottom. Stationary panels like those at the wheel wells would be bolted on solid. Panels would be 27" high and 48" wide running the whole lower length of the motorhome with panels cut down from 48" as necessary. Wheel wells would be cutout from the center of the the 48" panel. I have a prototype panel skin be made up in .063 aluminum (48" x 27"), but would like to draw on the forums experiences with older motorhome construction. My questions are:

1: It looks like the metal framework for the lower siding is 1" x 1-1/2" rectangular tubing (on edge), but what might I find at the horizontal seam between upper and lower siding? Is there the same tubing there?

2: I am considering stainless steel piano hinge at the top of each baggage door, but does anyone have a better idea? What do you guys have on the newer units besides piano hinges?

3: Latches are to be like the TriMark locking handles with either single, double or triple action units. Any better ideas?

4: Since the basement storage is 46" wide inside and the doors are only 36", redo lower framework for a 46"opening with a 48" door. Any input on simplifying this job?

5: With the rectangular tubing being 1-1/2" deep, that only leaves like 3/4" to 1" thickness on the doors unless they extend out another 1/2" (limited by entrance door outer surface). Is the thick enough to make a rigid door? Input from owners with newer motorhomes with similar panels would be helpful.

This project will be a lot of work but can be done for about $2,000. Since I am retired I have plenty of time to do this project. I have more time than money ( to buy a newer unit ). The old Sun Voyager runs fine with less than 80,000 miles and the interior is in fine shape so this project would be worth doing for a coach I plan to keep.

Any input from yor experiences would be of great benefit to me before I rip off all of the lower siding.
eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
RayChez1

My coach is all aluminum the bottom half. But you must know what you are doing to tackle something like that. I personally couldn't do that without special equipment. But if you have done this before I say definitely go for it and enjoy it. If it only costs 2K dollars that is even better. New coaches cost lots of money now days.
Keep us posted and pics on your project.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
eagleman

Default Thanks for the reply

RayChez,
Thanks for the response. Your right, it is a lot cheaper than getting a new(er) motorhome. I do have some photos, but don't know how to post them.

eagleman
eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
RJ82much

Eagleman,

You must upload your photos on a server someplace, such as "photobucket"; even Walmart will host pictures! There are many free sites. Hint: right-click your mouse over any photos on this forum.

Choosing "properties" will bring up the URL of the photo so you can see what the code should look like.

Once uploaded, type your own personal URL for the photo into a post. Highlight the URL, and click the "Img" box. Wala, you & everyone will see your photo.

Sorry, but we don't have memory space or the software associated with this forum to host pictures

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote