Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Steve48

Default Slide circuit breaker

I have a problem with my slide's tripping the circuit breaker. Every time I put the slides in or out I have to reset a rectangular shaped breaker located in the outside front driver side compartment. The hydraulic pump motor keeps running after the slides are in/out then the breaker tripps cutting power. When the breaker is reset the motor doesn't start running again till I push the slide in/out button. I can put both the front & back in/out with one breaker reset. It is like a sensor is not cutting off the power to the motor when the slide is in/out so it keeps running till an overload tripps the circuit. If thats the case where can I find some info or location to start looking.
Has anybody had this problem? How can I fix it?
Steve48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Default Re: Slide circuit breaker

I am speculating!
It seems to me that the slide motor is running in an attempt to move the slide further. It cannot, so it is overloading the circuit and tripping the breaker. Is there a limit switch that is no longer working? If you realize that the slide is fully retracted and quickly remove your finger from the switch, does it still blow? Are you sure the fluid is at it's proper level and the pump is not working on empty?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Steve48

Yes - rocker type button switch will return to a neutral position after removing pressure and the motor will keep running.
Both the front & back slides have the same type switch and both are working when pushed. (I need to research replacement switches and see how they work.)
The last time I checked the reservoir it was good. Never thought the fluid level could cause this? - I will check it ASAP. Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
03heritagerider

What happens if you press the switch, and when the slide begins to move you immediately remove your finger from the switch?
Will it continue to move the slide to the end and then blow?
Or does the movement stop at some point shortly after releasing the switch but before reaching the end of it's travel?

If I had to guess, (and believe me, it is just a guess) I would try to replace the in/out switch first.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Steve48

The slide will stop moving when you release the switch button. Sometimes the motor may stop running with a partial move and other times it will keep running then it trips the breaker. Its kind of weird that I can move one all the way in/out, then move the other one in/out before it trips the breaker. In this case it always trips the breaker. Usually I will reset the breaker then put both slides out when arriving, and before leaving reset the circuit breaker and put both back in. This has been the norm for over a year. I hope I'm not damaging something. I have put silicone spray on tracks thinking it may help take strain off motor.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
RayChez1

It sounds to me like your limit switch is not working right. It is a surge protector that is suppose to stop the motor once it reaches so much of a surge. But what is happening is that it is not stopping the motor, so it trips the circuit breaker. And yes it could do damage if you have a rack and pinion gear set up, but if you have a hydraulic like I do there is not much damage that could occur except the tripping of your circuit breaker, but if it is the rack and pinion gear type, it will strip your aluminum gear.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Steve48

Slide out is by Dewald hydraulic slide out systems - I found a service manual online http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs ... ut_Sys.pdf
In the troubleshooting part of the manual - (Pump does not shut off when extend switch is released) & (Pump does not shut off when retract switch is released) faulty solenoid "A" & "B" or relay pack faulty or faulty switch - so I thought replacing all of these items may fix it!!
I have filled out a "contact us" form, to the tech folks, asking for more info - drawings and how to order parts. To be continued....
Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Steve48

Finding replacement parts was tough!
PPL had the solenoid for Dewald leveler system which was the same solenoid for the slideout. I found the relays from Susquehanna Motor Sports. I replaced two solenoids and two relays it is now working - yea! - Sometimes just finding info like the name of pump can lead to finding a manual.
Thank you,
Old 07-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #9
Hminor00

Where did you find the solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
Finding replacement parts was tough!
PPL had the solenoid for Dewald leveler system which was the same solenoid for the slideout. I found the relays from Susquehanna Motor Sports. I replaced two solenoids and two relays it is now working - yea! - Sometimes just finding info like the name of pump can lead to finding a manual.
Thank you,
Hminor00 is offline   Reply With Quote