Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
mailmann

Default 2006 6340 Gulf Stream Endura Rear Speaker?

There is two ceiling speakers above the bed. I have yet to figure out what their hooked to. Does anybody know?

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
mfa

Are they on when you play the radio in the cab?

Are they on when you play a surround-sound DVD in the entertainment center?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
mailmann

No, that's the trouble. Whatever I have on they don't work.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
RJ82much

I can't tell you exactly HOW to do it, but you may have to set the front to rear fader more to the rear. There is setup controls with your dash radio. Also, the entertainment remote control will have front to rear fader controls. The radio & the entertainment speakers are switched by an under-the-dash box by RiverBend (in my SunVoyager). You probably have a similar setup. The switchbox could be bad also.

I have inadvertantly blasted the rear speakers too loud without knowing it. Poor wife,,, she went to bed early & I had to scrap her off the ceiling... You get the picture!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
mailmann

Thanks Bob, I checked the radio and it doesn't have fader controls. I put a new entertainment center in and when I switched it over from the old one there was no extra wires for the extra speakers.

Mike
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
mfa

Default Re: 2006 6340 Gulf Stream Endura Rear Speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmann
There is two ceiling speakers above the bed. I have yet to figure out what their hooked to. Does anybody know?
Thanks
Mike
I think normally they are connected to the cab radio. It seems a standard problem folks have with them is that GS connects them to the same output as the front cab speakers, which makes them very loud and not independently adjustable. Here are some instructions that someone posted a couple of years ago to rewire them to the radio's rear speaker output so that you can adjust their volume with the fader. Maybe you'll find unconnected wiring in this location for yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody
[a previous poster: So were you able to connect the rear to the rear outputs yourself? That would be great to fix that.]

Yes, much to the disbelief of my dealers service department. They told me the radio isn't capable of fading. Yeah, no kidding when you hook the fronts to the rears. You need to connect the purple w/black stripe to light blue(-) and purple to dark blue for the right rear(+). The left rear is green w/black stripe to yellow(-) and green to brown(+) and like FM...it fades.
Now that I have that sorted out, I can change out the radio. I've narrowed it down to either a navigation unit or one with cassette/cd/mp3/sat. I haven't come across one with all the formats in one unit. But at least I don't need my 8 tracks anymore.

First, to get at the wires that go to the rear speakers, you need to pull off the left and right kick panels. These are the panels that are attached on the sides that your shoes scuff up when your sitting in the seats. You need a big flathead to help pop the spring clips. Once you get them off you will see the butt connectors with the purple and/with black stripe speaker wires on the passenger side and the green and/with black stripe on the drivers side.

The easiest (and least likely way to screw up) is to grab the rear channel wires close to the radio's connector. The radio is encased in that aluminum structure. Loosen the trim panel (I think you have some sort of gray/metal design on yours) from the dash. It's held in place with automotive spring clips. From there you will expose 3 screws holding the radio in place (maybe a #6 or #7mm head). Slide the radio out to get at the harness. Probably have to take off the antennae lead so your not tethered.

From there, connect the greens to yellow(-) and brown(+) for left channel and purples to the light blue(+) and dark blue(-) for the right channel. Like I said before, check the polarity going to the back. (They used ford speakers in the back and mixed up the polarity using the ford connectors.) If your not sure of the polarity, just look at the way the speaker deflects. It should move the cone away from the magnet.

As for the blinking light, after you take off the drivers side kick panel, look amongst that tangled bunch a spaghetti wires for it. Closer to the back (firewall).

Speaking of the firewall. If yours is like mine (which it is). You'll probably want to make a plug/block up the hole where the wiring harness exits the cab, since they didn't put it back after running the speaker wires thru it. Nice place for a critter to get in.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
mailmann

Thanks mfa, I'll check it out.

Mike
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
mailmann

This is an update, we went camping last weekend and as usual it rained all evening so I took the rear speakers down. Low and behold, there were wires there but they weren't hooked up. I hooked them up but, still nothing. I'll have too take the time to check out the kick panels for the other ends.

Later
Mike