Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
wilsonballew

Default Suspension/Steering Problems

Hello everyone - I just picked up a new 2007 Conquest 6296 down in Portland; I live in Seattle area. I have never owned a motorized RV before (just a camper on my truck), but I was thrilled to purchase my first Class C.

Unfortunately, the drive back to Seattle was a horrible experience. The coach felt like it has no suspension, the steering is sloppy and every bump and road imperfection was felt. My only description is I felt as though I was driving an old, beat-up U-Haul rental truck.

I had been told that Class C's drove more "truck like" than a Class A, but this is about the worst driving experience I can imagine. I was literally exhausted after my 3.5 hour drive back to Seattle - I can't possibly imagine spending any quality time driving this vehicle.

I can't believe that Class C's drive this poorly. Please, can someone provide some insight? I have plans to return to the dealer tomorrow and get into a different coach...unless there is something terribly wrong with my vehicle that is repairable, I could never be happy driving this vehicle.

I don't expect a luxury car ride, or even a car like ride - but this was horrible.

Thanks for any feedback!
wilsonballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
SueMac

We have the Conquest Super Nova 6372 with the International diesel engine and it drives quite nicely. Altho' we think our econo drive is not working and the aux. cooling fan is on all the time which makes for a much noisier ride. It is geared low which is becoming a known issue of Conquest owners, but with all of this it is still an easy rig to drive. We came from a Class A diesel with air ride to the SN, and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it drove and rode. I'm only 5' and other than not being able to pull up the emergency break, I have no trouble driving it with a block of wood under my feet.

Good luck. Maybe something is out of balance or not working right. If we were closer we'd take it for a test drive, but we're in Rapid City, SD.

Good Luck
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Texas TC

Unfortunately, your are describing the very reason I sold my last coach and bought a SuperNova. My Kodiak chassis was terrible at any speed over 60, all over the road and I felt like I was just trying to keep up with the direction of the tires, not driving the vehicle. I added a safety steer unit and although it helped some, not enough. I was also very hard to drive in cross winds, around other high profile vehicles and on roads with ruts or grooves.

The SuperNova is just the opposite. It drives great in all road and wind conditions. I noticed the difference on the test drive before I ordered the coach. There seems to be a vast difference between the Chevy class 5 chassis and the class 6 International chassis.

Unfortunately, it is not just a class C problem. I found as I test drove coaches that a lot of class A's have similar driving problems unless you move up to the chassis with the 8 air bag systems. Most suspensions on coaches with springs and 4 air bags handled just a poorly as the Kodiak. I have heard the new Workhorse UFO chassis is a reasonably priced unit with good handling characteristics but I have not had the opportunity to drive one myself.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
wilsonballew

Hi - Thanks for your response. I thought the SuperNova was on the Kodiak chassis - do I assume the Chevy Class 5 chassis is the Kodiak and the Class 6 International is what is on the SuperNova?

I understand that Chevy and Workhorse have teamed up on a new chassis for the Class C...something other than the Workhorse UFO.
wilsonballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Texas TC

The Chevy Kodiak is a class five and the SuperNova is on a class six International chassis. Both are used on class C products, I do not know anything about Workhorse working on a new chassis except the class A UFO.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote