Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
tahoebrad

Default International vs. American Carrier Air Ride

Has anyone considered the air suspension by International. My local IH dealer suggested this. I know most people on the forum went with the American Carrier Equipment Air Ride Suspension. The ACE sounds nice because it is a redundant system, but having the one designed by International is appealing as well for future problems and overall familiarity at various IH dealers.

Also, how many labor hours did it take for the ACE suspension to be installed.

Thanks!
tahoebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
pchicky

Just out of curiousity, what did the IH dealer say the IH system would cost? Is it just bags for the back or does it include the front? Just wondering how the two systems compare mechanically and on price.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Texas TC

Paul,

tahoebrad sent me a pm. The quote on pricing from that pm was:

"My International service quoted me $6900 for the International system and like the idea of it being made specifically for the Truck, but it sounds like the ACE system might be cheaper."

I believe this is for the rear air bags like ACE offers. I have not seen anyone, including OEM that offers front bags. I thought Kelderman did but it turns out their front systems for International will only fit the rear engine International school bus chassis.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Kimbo

Our local International rep was willing to install an International air suspension system but believed we could find a better system then what they offered. The International rep even gave us the name of the Baltimore shop (Middleton & Meads Co) that we took our rig to for the suspension upgrade. Scott Williams from Middleton & Meads did the research & recommended the ACE system.

Our SN ended up being in the shop for a week. Middleton & Meads had the rig an extra day or two then planned to order additional parts and install two sensors/valves on each air bag (rather then only one originally planned). Whatever this sensor or valve is (I can't remember the name) allowed both bags to inflate at amounts and leveled the rig. When done, the system cost us around $6,000.

On a side note, both TexasTC and I got the ACE suspension upgrade. We didn't collaborate or speak to each other but rather found out through this forum that we both choose the same air ride suspension. I?m not sure that really means anything but it gave me comfort knowing another owner did the same thing I did and was happy with the result.