Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Jim

Default power gear jacks

we had the touch pad on the dash go out on our 8360 Independence. We were told that they came out with an upgraded touch pad, we are on our second touch pad the life of these pads has been about 4 months. We ordered the last pad over night UPS and that was on a tuesday, it came in on fri. they didn't tell us which night. we would like to know if anyone else has had this problem?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
11B

We had the same problem with our 07 Friendship and the pad, it went bad after about 5 month's then was replaced with the up-graded one. So far so good but make sure you check your oil level from time to time.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
gbarngrover

Default power gear hydraulic leveling

Had the same problem with touch pad 2 times. Now the second touch pad is bad all lites blinking. I have talked to power gear but they said nothing about a upgraded replacement only that they know there is a problem.
What is part number of replacement?
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
chamberlain

So have you had the touch pad go out when the jacks were down.... and if so what did you do to get them retracted
Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Jim

I am at the back home rally, Power gear rep Andy Wolf and Gelfstream Elect eng Kenny Wordon both gave me a big song and dance this is the latest up grade. Also tryed to tell me I am the only one that has had this problem. Also I check all the new units on display and all of them with manual jacks had blown Jack control pads. So if they think I will believe this they must be brain dead. the number on the frount of the pad is 140-1179 and the up grade has the new numder on the back 10583E They say if it does not have the E on the back it is not the upgrade. This is the Manual jacks not the auto jacks. Also when they go out they will have all the lights blinking and retract. Also I now have my jack pad # 6 in.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Arthur Hayes

Last August I had the same problem with my Power Gear Jacks. The panel lights would blink and the only way to re track the jacks was to release the parking brake. Power Gear sent another panel and so far I have not had any problems.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Jim

they didn't tell you it was a Gulfstream wireing problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
gbarngrover

I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago for the second time, it lasted about a week. The number on back of pad is 10583D. It went out while jacks were down but they retracted as soon as the touch pad was truned on. I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks. I connected mine so it has power on it all the time and now I have no problem. I am leaving it kike this until they figure it out but this has been going on almost 2 years?
From what I know the Mfg of the PAD says they can't dublicate the problem and say the pad is wired up wrong.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Jim

call them and tell them you want a pad with an E on the back and see how that works. They keep telling me it is Gulfstream wireing problem.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
MLynch

I had a similar issue. The pad at the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and our jacks would not work in auto mode. An authorized service center checked things out and replaced a motor on one of the Power Gear jacks. After making the "repair," the pad still remained lit. The tech didn't know what to do and gave up on the repair, telling me that I needed a new pad.

During our recent RV trip, we made a pit stop at the Gulfstream factory and had them call a rep from Power Gear to our rig to address the problem. It took the technician a while to figure things out, but he did. The sensors on the Power Gear jacks have magnets adjacent to them. When things are installed correctly, the magnet repels (like when you hold two magnets together). In my case, one of the magnets adjacent to a sensor was installed backwards and actually magnetically attracted to the sensor.

The technicial told me that he had only seen this happen a couple of times before.

Maybe this might be the issue for those who still have problems after replacing the pad?

Good luck,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
Wolfpack

Just bought a used 08 Yellowstone 8358 gasser. It's equipped with PowerGear jacks. My touchpad was blinking on the lot and they replaced it before taking delivery. I looked up my touchpad on the PowerGear site, but it's not listed there (P\N 140-1179).

Also, the jacks do not seem to have much throw. Can't even level it out (left to right) in my relatively level driveway. The front jacks work in tandem so there is no side to side adjustment with them. The sales guy said that was to prevent popping the windshields out due to frame flex.

Does this sound right?

Thanks
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
rdlamb

Wolfpack:
e-mail me privately and I will send you Powergear's schematic on your leveling system.
Check your hydraulic fluid, details are in the schematic, as I suspect this may be low.
Also, I have the schematic on the DeWauld slide system that I can send to you.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
rdlamb

By the way, thank you for your kind words on the other post.

The jacks have a sensor that detects when the jacks are not fully retracted. Sometimes this occurs if there is a rock, or other object on top of the pad. You should check that as well.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarngrover
... I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks...
I am so glad you posted this. I remembered reading it and it came in very handy on our shakedown cruise this past week-end when our touchpad went haywire - AGAIN. We stopped by the dealer on our way home and the sales guys started in with the usual it's something we did wrong routine. I don't understand that.

It's clearly a warranty issue, and GS and\or PowerGear should step up and pay the dealers that sell their product to fix things that don't work. In a perfect world, I guess, huh...

Anyhow - thanks "gbarngrover" for the post. It worked for us.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default Power Gear Jacks

I've the same problem with my jacks. This post has helped. Thank-you for the help. Bob-Liz Independence 8357
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
km7648

Default Had same problem, tip worked - how did the story end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarngrover
I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago for the second time, it lasted about a week. The number on back of pad is 10583D. It went out while jacks were down but they retracted as soon as the touch pad was truned on. I can reset mine by pressing the F & R together on the touch pad one time, all lites go out except the power lite, then press LR (3) times and pad will go blank, press the on off button and it works until I turn off the ignition. every time I turn the ignition on the pad blinks. I connected mine so it has power on it all the time and now I have no problem. I am leaving it kike this until they figure it out but this has been going on almost 2 years?
From what I know the Mfg of the PAD says they can't dublicate the problem and say the pad is wired up wrong.
Thanks for this mention as it is exactly the problem I had. Did you end up replacing the controller or was it something else...
km7648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default touch pad

I think it is in the power line coming from the key switch. Hook the power to the pad so it has power all the time, you can still turn it off with power button. This way the pad should not get a spike of power when Ing. key is turn. Bob
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
gbarngrover

Default power gear hydraulic leveling

I had my touch pad replaced in March 09 and the new one is still working, I have it wired separate from the ignition switch. The old one would worked until the power the power was off of it but I was always able to reset it. It looks like this new one is OK.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #19
km7648

Default Where can I find a Power Gear 140-1179?

I've been trying to reach Power Gear USA and it seems they went out of business.

I need to replace my 140-1179 leveler controller and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone on the forum know if another brand / model will work?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
km7648

Default Re: Where can I find a Power Gear 140-1179?

Quote:
Originally Posted by km7648
I've been trying to reach Power Gear USA and it seems they went out of business.

I need to replace my 140-1179 leveler controller and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone on the forum know if another brand / model will work?

Thanks
Has anyone been able to find a replacement for this controller?

Mine still does the blinky thing per this thread and I haven't been able to find a new controller anywhere.