Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu
Default New Visa Owner

After looking at light weight travel trailers for some time we finally purchased a Visa yesterday, pick it up Wednesday and are planning on taking it camping this coming weekend. The weight and features are really unmatched. We had been looking at hybrids and pop-ups and were very excited to find such a light tt with so much room.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
lsnipes

Default Visa

We have a Visa ERD purchased in April from a dealer in Cincinnati. We really like the trailer however we have had a few problems...mostly with the Dometic fridge. We pull it with a Pontiac Aztek and have traveled to the Gulf Coast from Kentucky with no problems towing. We moved up from a pop-up and have truly enjoyed the change. Although the ERD floor plan is a little odd with the split bath, it really works well to give you plenty of room for a shower and the walk around bed is great. (except for the mattress which is really lousy) We are still talking to the dealer since the one we saw before we ordered ours had a nice mattress. We'll see how that works out.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #23
brains77396

Default Re: Visa

walk around bed is great. (except for the mattress which is really lousy) We are still talking to the dealer since the one we saw before we ordered ours had a nice mattress. We'll see how that works out.[/quote]

On the Visa website, one of the options is a Memory Foam Mattress. Hopefully you can get your dealer to swap out with you, or, worse case, order you one from the factory.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
deltamark

Default Re: Visa

We purchased the RSD in April and have been mostly very happy with it. My wife has a bad back and didn't like the mattress either, so she ordered a memory foam bed topper. Made a lot of difference.

We've had a number of smaller issues with the trailer and will take it in for warranty service sometime soon. Here are some of the annoyances we've encountered:

- Water can get in and accumulate underneath the recessed plastic step covering.
- I don't care for the stereo. The controls aren't very responsive and the FM stereo doesn't pick up stations very well at all. The antenna is buried inside of the cabinet.
- Didn't care for the dining table ... difficult to get in and out of for two people. Purchased a portable collapsing table from Cabela's.
- Had issues with one of the sliding handles on the awning
- We used the air conditioner Memorial Day weekend and the compressor got crazy loud a couple of times.

I'm sure most campers have a period of adjustments and I'm not real concerned about any of these things. As I said, we do really like the camper and are using it again this weekend down in Central Ohio.

Happy Camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnipes
the walk around bed is great. (except for the mattress which is really lousy) We are still talking to the dealer since the one we saw before we ordered ours had a nice mattress. We'll see how that works out.
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
lsnipes

Default Visa issues

So to continue the line of discussion these are the issues we have had with our ERD. The Dometic Fridge beeps and doesn't work on 12 volt. Sometimes it just beeps because it wants too. We have had it in to have it repaired and talked to dometic. Now they think it is the door latch that isn't closing well. The stereo/dvd has been replaced, our dinette cushions split and frayed after our first trip, the tank monitor does not work properly, we pulled a piece of the bed base off unplugging a lamp, the pneumatic door closer fell off, a water leak around the rear window and of course the mattress is terrible. Things we like; the layout, the ease of towing, the look. Don't get me wrong we like the trailer and think it is perfect for our needs, but just wish the build quality had been a little better.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
deltamark

Default Re: Visa issues

At first I thought it was just me with the stereo. It just kind of seems to have a mind of it's own. Our tank monitor also seems to be lying to us. Even after we drain it, the black water still reads 2/3 full. We're having some trouble with our door as well. The inside screen door sticks and therefore, it's hard to open the outside door when they both are shut. And lastly, I had to disconnect a water line going into the water pump to make it work the last three times we camped. That entailed removing the bottom of the wardrobe to get to the pump.

Yes, I agree with your statement on build quality. I'm still not really all that concerned about these smaller issues, though. I just hope the overall structure of the unit remains solid over time.

Not that it matters, but did you purchase your ERD up in Ohio? If so, was the service OK?

Quote:
The stereo/dvd has been replaced, .... the tank monitor does not work properly, the pneumatic door closer fell off, a water leak around the rear window ...
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #27
brains77396

Default Re: Visa issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark
Yes, I agree with your statement on build quality. I'm still not really all that concerned about these smaller issues, though. I just hope the overall structure of the unit remains solid over time.

Not that it matters, but did you purchase your ERD up in Ohio? If so, was the service OK?

Quote:
The stereo/dvd has been replaced, .... the tank monitor does not work properly, the pneumatic door closer fell off, a water leak around the rear window ...
All these listed problems does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Teething problems or will it be the norm? 15K + is a lot to pay for something falling apart when brand new. I had very few problems with my Conquest class "C".
Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
lsnipes

Default Visa issues

We did get our Visa in Ohio. Just outside of Cincinnati. The service department has been fine for the most part just a little he said/she said with dometic. We were out this weekend and the Fridge worked like a charm.

First time we were without a water hook-up and our water pump didn't seem to be a problem, a little noisy but it worked.

Everything seems to be OK now. We will wait for a little longer to see if anymore minor problems come along before scheduling service.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #29
DonMitsu

Default First Trip!

We went to Cedar Hill State Park this weekend and are even more convinced this was the perfect TT for us. We have a 7 and 9 year old and it had plenty of room for the 4 of us. The AC was a little on the loud side, but my daughter thought it felt like "Antarctica" even on a warm Texas summer day. Our stereo was great with FM reception but AM reception was non-existent which was the opposite of what I expected. The storage space was more than we needed. We put a basket on the shelf in the bathroom for towels and a hanging closet organizer in the closet to make better use of the space. The kids were very comfortable in the bunks, I thought the front bed was more than adequate size wise but my wife is getting a mattress pad to make it a little more comfortable. Gas mileage was less than I wanted but we did leave Dallas in rush hour traffic on a Friday and were in stop in go traffic all the way to Cedar Hill and coming back on Sunday we ran into stop and go traffic for a good portion of our trip, combine that with a hot day and the AC on max we averaged 8.3 MPG on our first trip, we normally get 17 MPG and I was really hoping for closer to 15. All in all my kids are the toughest test I can think of for TT (standing on the table, walking on the dinette cushions with their shoes, etc. But as hard as they were on it we really didn't have any issues other than the AM radio, so I would have to say after 1 trip we're completely satisfied.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #30
Doctor Debit

Default Comments on Visa

Thanks to everyone for posting. My 23RBK did great on its first outing, but I did notice the beeping fridge. It does not seem to want to work on 12V. I thought it was just me. I'll call Colerain's and see if they can give any advice.

I love the radio/DVD/TV and whatever. My only complaint there is the pitiful documentation. Being kind of a techno geek, I don't mind experimenting, but this could be a turnoff for lots of people. I noticed that even after you turn it off, it will turn itself back on if there is a weather alert. You would want to unhook the battery if storing for more than a week.

AC worked flawlessly, although a little loud. Tank indicators worked fine.

We weathered a significant storm, with branches of up to about 1 1/2 inches in diameter falling onto the roof. No damage.

'Doc' Joe
Doctor Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
tinapetel

Default 2011 Visa low underbody clearance

Has anyone else had a problem with the low hanging rear leveling jacks?
My Visa dragged and damaged one of the jacks on driveway entrance.
I also find the sewer connection at best awkward to access tucked up under the low side of the trailer.
We are generally very pleased with the size and layout of our Visa.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #32
brains77396

Default Re: 2011 Visa low underbody clearance

Go to Camping World web site and look up "skid wheel". They either bolt or weld to the rear bumper, depending on the model. I think it was Wal-Mart that had like an almost 90 degree sewer connection to help get the pipe pointing out instead of down. It was clear and attached just like the sewer hose with the bayonets connections on each end. Also some plastic leveling blocks that you pull the low side of the rig up on to help in getting it level. Awning anti-flappers help keep your awning from flapping and tearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinapetel
Has anyone else had a problem with the low hanging rear leveling jacks?
My Visa dragged and damaged one of the jacks on driveway entrance.
I also find the sewer connection at best awkward to access tucked up under the low side of the trailer.
We are generally very pleased with the size and layout of our Visa.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #33
Karalyn

I like the looks of both from those pictures. Looks like they have a lot to offer for the 19 feet of space! Will be interesting to see one in person
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #34
lsnipes

Default Gulf Stream Visa

We have been a little concerned with the low clearance but have just been very careful and lucky so far. The low center of gravity helps with towing so I suppose it is a good trade off. We have started to use blocks to raise the trailer when we pull up to the dump site. It seems to have helped. The parts are in to fix the beeping for our fridge, but the dealer was too late letting us know, so we are off with our fingers crossed on Monday. Also, we raised enough stink about the mattress that the dealer replaced it with one like the one we saw before we ordered. Much better!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #35
Doctor Debit

Default Mattress

Here's the way we fixed the mattress situation: Got a $25 inflatable mattress from Wal Mart, then used what came in the camper as a topper. Works fine.

Sounds like I need to contact the dealer about the fridge though. Mine still won't work on 12 Volts.
Doctor Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Quilting Cafe

Default Love, love, love my new Visa 19Erd

Everything works great, although we did not use the fridge or furnace..was only connected by electric.

Only problem was the cd player. Couldn't get it receive a station (we can on our portable radio) or play or cd. Will contact the dealer about this.
Quilting Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #37
frog60

We recently bought the RGU model GS Visa. Nice for a couple. I tow it with my Nissan Frontier, I notice the weight but I tow at 65 w/o any trouble. After reading the reviews I had the dealer put rollers on the back by the jacks. I've already used them several times and probably kept from damaging my jacks. This trailer does sit very low and the dealer said they make a 3" lift kit for it. I tried towing it without an equalizer but I got too much sway so had to get an eq hitch. It makes a big difference.
frog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #38
pfarrell

Default buying a Visa soon-advice?

We are looking to buy a Visa 19 ERD in the next week or two and would be interested if anyone would mind sharing their buying experience with us about their dealer and advise to anything we should look out for with the Visa or dealers.

We would be most appreciative to know what sort of best bottom line price we can hope for. We know the MRSP with options (AC, stereo, spare tire, upgraded matterss, spray port, TV antenna, awning, microwave) for the one we like is $21, 882.

All the dealers in Texas have the same "sale" price of $16,995 for this model with these options but I have seen them on-line for $15,333 from wholesalervclub.com. Has anyone bought thru wholesalerv or has anyone got a better price?

thanks,
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #39
pfarrell

Default mounting a tv and bike rack

Has anyone mounted a TV on the bedroom wall of the 19 ERD? The wall seems flimsy and thin and am concerned about going thru into the shower.

Has anyone added a bike rack to the Visa? Any suggestions on the best place and method for a bike rack is appreciated.

thanks,
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #40
DonMitsu

Default Price

We paid 16,995 for ours at Mays RV in Lewisville, even though we might could have saved a few bucks buying one on the internet, I think it was worth it for the great service we experienced at Mays and they threw in some nice freebies, pressure regulator, water hose, waste tank chemical, full gas tanks, toilet paper, etc. I think it was definitely worth it.