Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Sandy

Default dead batteries both coach and chassis

We recently bought a 2000 Palm Breeze. We have been having problems with a dead battery on the chassis. We have a new battery and the alternator tested great. But it goes dead when parked.

This week we turned off the power at the panel on the steps and thought that would solve the problem.

But now the panel is also dead and nether switch (chassis or coach) will turn on.

First off I need to know which battery powers the power on/off panel is it the coach or the chassis battery?

Second I need to know how I decifer what is causing the chassis battery to go dead.

The only thing we can think of is the backup camera that the previous owner installed. He took the power off one of the rear roof lights. The monitor only works when the headlights are turned on but we wonder about the camera.

Please help...
thanks much,
Sandy
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Sandy

Default wiring layout

can someone tell me where I can get the wiring layout for a 2000 palm breeze....tonight....on line....
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Sandy

Default is it the inverter??

The power inverter under the end of the bed?? is that what is causing the batteries to do dead? Does anyone know???
Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Chuck v

Sandy,

Sorry there is so little information on the wiring for your Palm Breeze. The same is unfortunately true for all the GS products, as the factory has some sort of wild hair about them being "trade secrets" or something.

Yes, the inverter can drain the batteries in short order if large AC loads are left on and powered by the inverter's output. I would have thought that the coach and chassis switches in the stairwell would shut that inverter off, however, along with all other DC loads. Something is not quite right...

If you have a clamp on DC ammeter you can look around for how much current is being drawn from your coach and house batteries and maybe trece it down to the offending load. Lots of inexpensive meters have clamp on AC capabilities, but a few also read DC amps as well. The one I have has two DC ranges, 40 amps and 400 amps. You can get one at Sears for about $60 (careful to get the right one, the very similar model that reads only AC amps is $40...)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 482369000P

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
hyall

Also make sure your basement lites are not left on and maybe the converter is not charging when plug to shore
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Sandy

Default thanks much

Thanks much for the info. We will be getting a tester and testing whatever we can right after this next trip. Till then we plan to run the engine every day to make sure we are charging whatever is belching power.

We are new to the RV world so we are not yet up to speed on the electrical systems. Our batteries seem to go dead when we think everything is off.

The guy we bought it from liked entertainment stuff. He wired in a home theater, extra DVD, 2 new TVs, boosted dash stereo and a backup camera. Again, we were thinking we had turned everything off but now we have learned from this and other posts on this forum that off to us is not really OFF!

So we have unplugged anything that had a plug. It is possible I guess that the charging systems are also not working. But we decided to go with trying to see what is draining the power and see if that works.

Thanks again for the replies. We have so much to learn and I appreciate that there are folks on this forum who are willing to share their knowledge. Still waiting for a call back and email return from GS.
Thanks much,
Sandy