Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
mark2line

Default Air Alarm

I’m looking for some help. I own a 2008 Tour Master T40A by Gulf Stream on a 2007 Freightliner Chassis with a 330HP Mercedes diesel. We bought it new in January of 2008. I have had this ongoing problem since about a year after we took delivery. An alarm goes off which is a piercing sound, a light comes on the dash and the two air gauges start going erratic. This would come and go. We stopped at the nearest Freightliner dealer in Ohio and was told that it was an electrical problem, that we were not loosing air, was safe to drive and we needed a new wiring harness. We were going cross country so they had the part shipped to Missouri and we had it installed. We went about 200 miles and it started again. We had it looked at another Freightliner dealer in Colorado and they had to order a new Brain/computer for the dash and new air gauges. We had the new parts installed and was hopeful that the problem was fixed. We went to California no problem but and on our way home it went off a couple of times for a minute or so. We went to a Freightliner dealer in RI and they replaced the Brain/computer on the dash again. This seemed to be good for a while, as we had not gone on a long trip. The next time we went to Florida it started again, but it would only go off for a few seconds, so it was not a big problem. Well now it hardly shuts off and it is making us crazy as the sound is ear piercing.
Has anyone had a similar problem and if so were they able to find a fix.
Any help or Ideas would be appreciated.
[email protected]
mark2line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
tarheel

Default Re: Air Alarm

I just went through the same problem with my 07. I called Freightliner from the highway the first time it happened, in March, and was also told that it wasn't a danger, but to take it to a Freightliner facility and have them call and they would have them try a few things. I waited until I got home because I have a great Freightliner facility in Raleigh (Tri-Point Truck Center). They did a lot of testing and came to the conclusion that it was the VCU. While they were replacing it, the factory said to replace the main wiring harness also because they had redesigned it due to some other issues. Is the VCU the same thing they replaced for you? I understand it is a computer unit that all the electronic stuff runs through.

I've only driven it home since the work was done last week and don't know if that cured the problem, but the two techs that were trained at Gaffney both agreed that that was the problem after testing and talking to Freightliner. I agree that the ringing is very piercing and it would scare me when it went off. We're leaving on an extended trip in two weeks, so I guess I'll know then if the problem is solved.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
mark2line

Yes, the VCU was replaced twice and the problem still exists, I am in touch with Freightliner and am hopeful that they will take care of this problem under warranty as it was never fixed when it was under warranty.
I will keep you advised on how I make out.
Let me know how you make out

mark2line
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
tarheel

Will do Mark! Mine is still under warranty in that I bought a brand new 07 just over a year ago and received a full warranty with it. I would hate to drive very long with that alarm and the air gauges going back and forth. I'm getting ready to leave on a two month trip, so I'll know if mine is now fixed. I was told that the buzzer is easy to disconnect, but I wouldn't want to go very far that way. Freightliner suggested they replace the harness with the new version and maybe they did the same for you. I'll keep you informed as to whether my fix worked or not.

Dick
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
mark2line

Dick,

My alarm is coming from the LBCU which is the computer brain in the center of the dash not a separate buzzer or alarm. I was going to put a switch on it so I would not have to listen to it but being that it is in the computer I can't.

Mark
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Luckiest Dreamer

I had the same problem with my 2008 40A. After replacing the gauges three times I asked the dealer to call Gaffney. They recomended the new wiring harness and the problem no longer exsists. This was done under warranty.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
tarheel

Mark-
Was your wiring harness replaced recently? Luckiest Dreamer states this the new harness alone corrected his problem, so maybe the wiring harness that you had replaced may have been the original design. They told my Freightliner service manager that the harness was recently redesigned because of problems.

Dick
Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
mark2line

Dick,

The wiring harness was the first thing that they replaced which was about 18months ago.
Maybe it has been improved since then, I will check with Freightliner.

Mark
Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
tarheel

Mark-
Freightliner told my local facility when they decided to replace the VCU that the wiring harness needed to be updated because if it wasn't creating a problem for me as yet, it probably would in the future. But, I don't know how long ago they redesigned the harness. You might give them a call.

Dick
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
David Bott

Also went though all this...Sorry to be so late to the game. We did all mentioned and at the end, the last resolve, the new high speed wire harness was the cure. The new one is BLACK and has high tension holders. The old one is white.

Have been alert free from that point. It WAS DRIVING US NUTS and it got to the point of not knowing what to trust when an alarm sounded.

Now we only here it when we air up and it stops at about 75 lbs.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
mark2line

I just had the wiring harness replaced yesterday at a Freightliner dealer.

I was told by the factory that the new harness was black and the old was either white or gray.

When I brought my coach to this dealer the alarm , gauges and light were going off all the time, they replaced the wiring harness and it stopped. The service manager did not think that this would correct the problem butt it did. I am hopefull that this is the end of this problem. The dealer was 50miles away and the problem did not show it self driving back home. We are planning on a trip in September and this will be a good test to see if the the problem is fixed.

mark2line
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
David Bott

Mark...

You are correct in the wire colors and I have corrected my post above.

I also did not think it would work...but it did.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
Drifter

Does anyone have a part number for this harness if or this harness? I have purchased a used 2008 Gulf Stream Tour master T40F and and have had this alarm go on and of (more on).
This coach I don't believe is still under warranty so I'm looking for a part number to fix it my self.
Please advise
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote