Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
J79Engine

Default Digital Readout: "Engine Output Power Low"

I went out locally this past holiday weekend and upon the return trip I pulled over to uncouple my wife's car which is the TOAD (GMC Terrain) after completeing that task I restarted the RV 8.1 gas engine and immediately received a engine service light coupled with a digital readout in the speedometer area stating: "Engine Power output Low". The throttle would not raise the RPM above 1,000 RPM and the two tail pipes were shaking telling me the run was running rough. I shut it down and got the book out. The owners manual stated if you see that message and the engine service light stays on steady they advise to take it directly to be serviced or have it towed for service. They advise the problem could be engine related or emissions related but either can cause warenty void due to forced damage to the engine. I have extended 3 year power train warenty so I will take it to the dealer (Colerain RV) on Saturday, about 10 miles down the road. The book said to allow the engine to remain off for up to 2 minutes and then attempt a restart and see if that restores the power, which it did. It now acts like nothing happened but the check engine light remains on steady. It reminded me of back in the old days when car engines could suffer from a power lock which would fix it self when it cooled down but the temperature gage never even got to the half way mark. I was watching it while we were going down the road because Monday was a 90F plus day. I heard the two auxilery fans come on in the engine compartment but never seen any temperature rise other then normal. Has anyone with a SunVoyager suffered this problem ?

Thanks for comments:
Mike S. AKA J79 Engine

38 foot 2005 Gulfstream SunVoyager SE
GMC Workhorse chassie (3 slides) electric awning
8.1 engine with 5 speed Allison Transmission
Toad: 2012 GMC Terrain
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote