Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
RayChez1

Default King Dome

I have a question for you Gulf Streamers. I have a King Dome right now on my coach and I have been using Dish for the satellite service. Now I have Direct TV at home and I was wondering if I could use the Genie DVR/Receiver that I have at home on the coach when we are gone for long periods at a time. Would the Genie work with the King Dome antenna.

RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: King Dome

I believe that there is a procedure for selecting your satellite provider. Check your King Dome manual.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hayes
I believe that there is a procedure for selecting your satellite provider. Check your King Dome manual.

Well! We will find out Monday. I have a tech coming over from Direct to install a receiver/dvr on the coach. For six dollars extra on my home bill, it is well worth changing from Dish to Direct.

I will keep you guys informed as to what happens incase some one else decides to make the same move.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
03heritagerider

We have DirecTV at home and have had it for about 5 years. What I do is take my 3 receivers from home and put them in the coach. At the same time, we suspend our service at home so we are not paying for both (I think you can suspend for up to 6 months, but check with them).

If we are going to spend the winter in one place, I call DirecTV and set up new service at that location. Last winter, we were spending 3 months at one resort and the tech came out and set up the oval HD antenna (we do not have a roof top dish). We used our home receivers, but they will bring you new if you want. Since that was considered a new service, it included local channels plus free NFL Season Pass and 3 months of HBO and Cinimax.

When we spend several months travelling around to different locations, We call DirecTV and FAX in the paperwork for DNS (Distant Network Service). This service (Often used by over the road truckers), gives you all the Premier, Choice Ultimate, Choice Extra or Choice channels. Since you are travelling, you can not get the local, or network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). You either have to use your over-the-air antenna for local/network or you can order their local service at an additional cost. The difference is that your network service will only come from either New York or Los Angeles.

Here are the links for information and the forms needed for DNS

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/ ... rk-service

http://www.directv.com/DNS/DNS%20Mobile ... Letter.pdf

When we are moving around, we use our non-HD dish on a tripod when we land because it's easier to find the signal. If you have an auto roof top antenna, you don't have this problem.

When we return, we cancel the service in the RV and re-start the home service.

Another route to consider, is that DirecTV is available on you mobile devices like phones, tablets and laptops.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
RayChez1

Thanks heritagerider for the information. I did not know how the local channel thing worked.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
RayChez1

Well I got some bad news today from the Direct TV tech. He refused to work on installing the receiver on my coach. He said that Direct does not install any thing on coaches. Yet the previous tech that installed the Direct TV equipment on my house said they would do it and even looked at my coach and said he would do it if I got the receiver. I got the receiver but they sent a different tech. So I hooked it up myself which was easy enough. But I found out that the controls on Direct is very different from Dish. So all I have is a big Direct logo on the screen and a message saying it is searching for a satellite signal.

I did press the button for the Kingdome to search and it is locking into a couple of satellites, but with Direct I just do not know what satellites I am locking into. It used to be with Dish all I had to do is press the menu button and it would tell me which satellite it was locked into. With Direct either somebody is going to have to show me how or maybe it does not tell you what satellite you are on. Maybe I have to make some changes on the system since I had Dish before. Maybe the search box has to be changed.

If any of you guys know if I have to make any changes I would appreciate the help. I am going to try and contact KingCentral tomorrow, but it got late on me today and I believe they are back in Minnesota.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
03heritagerider

Ray,

I don't know why he wouldn't do the install. Just this past January, the tech came to my coach at the RV resort in Florida. The receivers were already installed like your's, but he cleaned up my wiring, assembled, set up and pointed a new dish and programmed everything for me. He even gave me a new remote because I left one at home.

If you already installed the new receiver and it is registered at DirecTV along with it's card, you should be able to work through the menu.
(Menu>> Settings and Help>> Settings>> Satellite)
I would call DirecTV and tell them what happened and ask them to walk you through the set-up.

I know nothing about King Domes, so I don't know if they need to be programmed with the DirecTV satellite coordinates.
It may be something as simple as a new splitter switch.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Arthur Hayes

In the manual it says to scroll to set satellite on the King Dome control panel to 110/119 using the + & - buttons. Once there press enter and then go to your receiver remote an enter MENU 611. Highlight CHECK SWITCH and press SELECT. Make sure SUPERDISH and ALTERNATE boxes are NOT checked. Then highlight TEST and press SELECT.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
RayChez1

I got Direct satellite service on my coach now. I called King Central first and they told me that the King Dome system that I had would lock up on several television satellites. But he did say to keep on trying and that eventually it would lock into satellite 101.

So my next step was to call Direct and asked them to walk me through the steps on how to get a picture. They put a person on the phone that walked me through every step. First when she was walking me through the steps I found out that I was locked into the wrong satellite and she had problems agreeing with me, so I had to explain to her that I had to press the button one more time for the dome to rotate and try to find the correct satellite. I pressed the button for the second attempt and it locked into satellite 101. Then it was just a matter of following the proms.

It is completely different from what I used to do with Dish. Dish was what Art posted on his post. On Direct you do not have the 611 which was to find the satellite for Dish. And then you have to run a switch test. On Direct you do not have to do any of that.

So thanks everybody that tried to help, it was appreciated.
Aventa II Blue Ox