Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
sierra_91_2000

Default 2005-Gulfstream Cavalier Fixer Uper

We just bought our first travel trailer at an auction. Downloaded the owners manual from GS sight. It was pretty basic and not that helpful. the manual tells you how to operate the stove, fuse box, etc. But it doesn't tell you where it is located. Is there any pic diagrams somewhere that points and tells you where and what things are? Please help. I am sure I have more questions but wanted to start here first. We need to know where everything is so I can ask more quetions

Is anyone else fixing up a FEMA trailer? If so how is it going? Has it been worth it?
sierra_91_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
shotwhat

Default FEMA TRAILER

i picked one up at an auction in la. i set it up for a hunting camp with no problems everything works so far. only thing i can't figure out is what the 2 hoses under the lavatory going outside are for. when i hook up water to the citywater hookup it pours out of those hoses. i got a couple of plugs to try on them next time i go up. do you have any clues?
shotwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
TUPFAM

Default Re: FEMA TRAILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotwhat
only thing i can't figure out is what the 2 hoses under the lavatory going outside are for. when i hook up water to the citywater hookup it pours out of those hoses. do you have any clues?
Sounds like they are low point drains. Just cap them tightly and you should be fine.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
sierra_91_2000

Shotwhat: I wonder if those 2 hoses aren't for the gray water and black water tanks that did not come with the trailers. The other thing I am thinkit could be is the fresh water tank (meaning the hoses would hook up to it if there was one).

we just got ours last weekend...this weekend we were going to play around and try to figure out what is working and what isn't, what we have or don't...make a list and start working on a plan to fix it up.

I'm looking forward to our new project.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
gsadmin

Interesting, so did they build these trailers without tanks knowing they were going to be used in a static operation and saved money by doing it. If so, I am SURE they passed that savings onto the government...right...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Timothy

Default Re: FEMA TRAILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPFAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotwhat
only thing i can't figure out is what the 2 hoses under the lavatory going outside are for. when i hook up water to the citywater hookup it pours out of those hoses. do you have any clues?
Sounds like they are low point drains. Just cap them tightly and you should be fine.
Thats what it sounds like to me too.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
shotwhat

thanks guys for the advice. one thing i forgot to mention is when you get your camper check out the hot water heater anode rod. when i got mine the threads in my hot water heater were almost gone due to corrosion. i guess when they hauled them away they pulled the rods to drain and the corrosion set in. i caught it just in time i had to chase the threads and use good ole teflon.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
sierra_91_2000

Quote:
Interesting, so did they build these trailers without tanks knowing they were going to be used in a static operation and saved money by doing it. If so, I am SURE they passed that savings onto the government...right...

Correct, they were built to be lived in and hooked right up in a trailer park community (like a mini manufactured home). It has true sewer hook ups. It even has a pocelain toilet vs an acutal travel trailer toilet. Our local RV mechanic said they would have to change the stool and some of the plumbing to have the gray and black water holding tanks hooked up and working properly.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
sierra_91_2000

What should we use to clean up the outside of the trailer? Any good sprays to get off some of these rain stain streaks? We power washed it and it looks better than how we brought it home but it still has some dark stains from run off water when it rained
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
shotwhat

well mine was pretty white when i bought it at the auction. i guess they used bleach and maybe try some simple green concentrate i use it on everything.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_91_2000
What should we use to clean up the outside of the trailer? Any good sprays to get off some of these rain stain streaks? We power washed it and it looks better than how we brought it home but it still has some dark stains from run off water when it rained
Try some Awesome cleaner from the dollar store, it works great on black streaks. Thetford black streak remover works well too but costs more. You will have to wax after using either one because they will strip the wax off, I keep some spray wax handy for touch ups.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
dalek_56

i got one as well. just spent the past week getting it squared away. those 2 hoses coming out of the bottom are drains. either cap them off or put a fitting and valve for ease of draining for off season. <<<that is what i did. for cleaning you might check out aluminum siding cleaner. its a mild acid ..you spray it on and hose it off. i would read the instructions/warnings and test it out on a small patch. after that...use combination carwash/wax.

has anyone found a good place for parts?

has anyone found a parts manual. i already have the generic owners manual.

and where the heck is the VIN number???

overall i think they are well worth it....
dalek_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Old Yeller

I got mine about 2 months ago. I had to do water damage repair, but otherwise, everything worked fine. I've set mine up semi-permanent at a lake campsite. I'm tickled to death with it considering the price I paid.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Thumper2811

The VIN is stamped into the tounge of the trailer. (the tounge is the part of the trailer that hooks up to your truck.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
lascassas_camper

My 2006 Cavalier came with 1 huge holding tank, i have the gray lines that hang down below the bottom of the trailer as well, but i suspect they are low point drains.

*2006 Gulfstream Cavalier
*2001 Chevy Suburban 1500, 5.3 V8, Tow PKG.
lascassas_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
natemoore

Quote:
Shotwhat: I wonder if those 2 hoses aren't for the gray water and black water tanks that did not come with the trailers. The other thing I am thinkit could be is the fresh water tank (meaning the hoses would hook up to it if there was one).

we just got ours last weekend...this weekend we were going to play around and try to figure out what is working and what isn't, what we have or don't...make a list and start working on a plan to fix it up.

They have nothing to do with the sewage/drainage system, but they certainly could be for fresh water, although I recently installed my black and grey water tanks, which had to go below those hoses. Fresh water tank would have to go forward of the axle, but you could re-route.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
natemoore

Default Re: 2005-Gulfstream Cavalier Fixer Uper

Quote:
Is anyone else fixing up a FEMA trailer? If so how is it going? Has it been worth it?
We got our trailer for $3000. It looked and smelled really great on the inside. Didn't notice anything unusual when we were checking it out. So far, I've replaced the battery and converter, added black water and grey water holding tanks, and discovered really bad roof leaks (I started a thread on that). I'm going to have to replace the entire floor of the bedroom because it was wet, swollen, and molded. I discovered this after I happened to find soaking wet insulation under the floor. Cut the black plastic open. Gallons of water streamed out.

Even so, it will still be worth it because of the great price we paid for it. I'm unusually competent in taking apart, rebuilding, and putting back together. Went through this with a pop-up camper that I had to virtually strip down and rebuild from the ground up due to wood rot. Bought it for $1200, sold it for $1800, used it for two years. Not bad.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
dalek_56

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemoore
Quote:

They have nothing to do with the sewage/drainage system, but they certainly could be for fresh water, although I recently installed my black and grey water tanks, which had to go below those hoses. Fresh water tank would have to go forward of the axle, but you could re-route.
they are definitely fresh water. i did not know they were there and when i attached up a fresh water supply the water poured out of the uncapped one. so i am going to assume they are for draining the fresh water system.

also was just up at a huge RV dealer and saw this stuff....he was selling it at $28 a gallon. heres the website...cant attest to how it works.

http://www.reliableproductsonline.com/
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
Redrider1500

For the black/gray streaks on exterior I used about 1.5 gallons of Simple Green and a scrub brush on a pole... but even better is a cleaner called "Spray Nine" that's hard to find anywhere outside of Ace Hardware. Phenomenal cleaner. Afterwards, I was advised to go to the local truck stop and I hear they'll hit it with a truck wash for $50 or so that shapes em right up.
The two gray hoses, yes - the plugs go in the end, they're drains. I have new holding tanks I'll be installing VERY soon, got a great deal on eBay and will need a little fabricating for brackets - but otherwise should be ok. I'll post later once I get em installed. Black will go under stool in back, and gray will go over axles or as close as possible. Trying to put clear supply under bunk bed inside. we'll see how that works, looks like a great fit.
If you did your gray/black holding tanks, posting tips or etc would be helpful for the many who have yet to complete this task...
Redrider1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
dalek_56

sierra_91_2000 the best i can tell you is to get the model and serial # off of everything. there is a sticker in the cabinet above your sink that has gulfstreams numbers. BUT get the numbers of of all the appliances...water heater...toilet, stove...etc. its much easier to find parts for them that way. if you havent found the fuse box. its with the converter,,,floor level, in the kitchen towards the bathroom....brown cover. there are 15 amp ATC fuses for the 12v stuff and breakers for the 120v. i am in the midst of making a manual...complete with pictures but it will be awhile...once done you are more than welcome to it.