Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
bob winfield

Default 2006 BT Cruiser 30 ft. rear shocks

wondering if anyone has replaced the rear shocks ' and with what brand and type.

Thanks bob
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
jpf

Default Re: 2006 BT Cruiser 30 ft. rear shocks

I bought a firestone ride rite 2377 kit earlier this year with the intention to install it on a BT5291B. not new shocks I know.
However, the handling of the rv is fine and apart from sagging when fresh water was full, it's turned out to be less of a problem than I anticipated. I will probably fit them at some point though.
The reasoning behind choosing air bags is because handling really is good without upgrades. this rv is far more steady and sure footed than my old one so it's a pleasure to drive. I just felt being able to pump up the ride rites some when heavily loaded would reduce the sag under those conditions.
Currently I bottom out getting into and out of the drive unless I cut a good angle. But without the water on board (rarely necessary for me) and with the tanks dumped I can avoid the scraping by removing the tow ball and angling the approach so one wheel is on the incline before the other.

I realize this may not address your issues at all, but you didn't mention them and I wanted to supply enough info to give anyone reading this a general view.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
purduepete2

I have a 2007 BT Cruiser on a 2006 chassis. I replaced the OEM Ford shocks with Koni's all the way around.
I also had the factory install two additional Leafs to the rear 9 spring leaf spring package.
The additional springs really stablelized my rig and make it a pleasure to drive with out a rear track bar or larger anti sway bars.

Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Ed D

camping world though pricy or any shop can install them. Do yourself a favor and do a search on E450 motorhome shocks and you will see a bunch of high-end shocks that will improve your ride made for you weight class and the Ford you can order them and have a local shop that deals with heavy duty trucks install them. I have a 28 ft bt cruiser and she really rides and handles very well. I plan on adding the air bags as the previous person mentioned for greater stability and take a little weight off those springs. This is a project I can do but remember you dealing with some major weight on a jack
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
bfrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob winfield View Post
wondering if anyone has replaced the rear shocks ' and with what brand and type.

Thanks bob
I recently test drove a 5291 with airbags and it rode really well with 50 pounds in them. I spoke to a second owner of a 30.5' model 5291 who added airbags and liked it, he's here on this board his name is Bill from Vaccaville.

I just bought a 5291 without airbags and unloaded it is a dream to drive, the first 200 miles anyway.

I see Gulf Stream has added leaf springs, and even moved the generator forward for some customers. They also have strongly warned owners NOT TO ADD AIRBAGS.

Anyone care to add to this? I don't know why they protest the addition of airbags when owners say there is such a benefit. I'd hate to roughen my ride with added leaf springs. Not sure how shocks will change sway, etc. Was down this road with a Bigfoot camper on a F-250 years ago - it proved to be quite the rabbit hole.

Please, share your thoughts!
bfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Tinman

I purchased a used 2006 5290 BT January 2017 with 50,000 miles. It porpoised when towing, rocked and rolled and wandered. It was a 2 hands on the wheel white knuckle ride. Couldn,t go over 60. I replaced the rear Monroe shocks and original fronts with Bilsteins and that drastically cut down on the porpoising. I installed Airlift air bags and replaced the original sway bars with ones made by Helwig. This cut down on the rock and roll. I then took the BT in for a front end alignment and they found I needed ball joints. After all that work the ride is much improved but not perfect. I can drive one handed but passing at 70 it becomes a handful. The company that did the alignment told me the 30' Bt's need heavier springs and that solves the problem and that I would not have to install the air bags. There is an older post somewhere on this site where a former owner recommended the same fix. Gulfstream didn't recommend the air bags for fear the owners would overload the BT and the stiffness and weight would crack the welds on the extended frame. Again I think I saw that on an older post. I know this is an old post but I am listing this information for any future members who purchase used BT's and experience the same conditions. Heres a helpful hint. If you are replacing the front shocks on the ford f450 the drivers side upper fasteners are accessed from the cab, look under the brake pedal under the floor mat there is a cut out in the floor.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
bfrazier

Tinman, thanks for the info - it's always good to have. Now with about 4,000 on mine I still like the way it drives so smooth. But I'm rarely up above 60 mph too.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Tinman

B I find this site lacking on a lot of information A lot of questions and good suggestions but hardly anyone posts how their problems were solved. A Happy Thanksgiving to you also my friend
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
Dgears02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I purchased a used 2006 5290 BT January 2017 with 50,000 miles. It porpoised when towing, rocked and rolled and wandered. It was a 2 hands on the wheel white knuckle ride. Couldn,t go over 60. I replaced the rear Monroe shocks and original fronts with Bilsteins and that drastically cut down on the porpoising. I installed Airlift air bags and replaced the original sway bars with ones made by Helwig. This cut down on the rock and roll. I then took the BT in for a front end alignment and they found I needed ball joints. After all that work the ride is much improved but not perfect. I can drive one handed but passing at 70 it becomes a handful. The company that did the alignment told me the 30' Bt's need heavier springs and that solves the problem and that I would not have to install the air bags. There is an older post somewhere on this site where a former owner recommended the same fix. Gulfstream didn't recommend the air bags for fear the owners would overload the BT and the stiffness and weight would crack the welds on the extended frame. Again I think I saw that on an older post. I know this is an old post but I am listing this information for any future members who purchase used BT's and experience the same conditions. Heres a helpful hint. If you are replacing the front shocks on the ford f450 the drivers side upper fasteners are accessed from the cab, look under the brake pedal under the floor mat there is a cut out in the floor.
Great info Tinman. We'll be working on a BT right after we finished installing the new tires and dually wheels on the current truck project.
Dgears02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Tinman

Update on my suspension upgrades. After 1 year and 10,000 miles the airbag line and Bilstein shock rubber boot melted. There doesn't seem to be a way to rotate the exhaust system away from the airbag enough to prevent the heat from melting the components. Anyone considering putting airbags on your Bt ,mine is a 5290, look hard at where the exhaust pipe is in relation to the position of the airbag. The airbag manufacturer recommends at least 3" clearance. I have the 12 leaf spring package and am considering going with heavier springs. I'm also toying with the idea of using an exhaust insulation wrap but don't know if that would reduce the heat enough to prevent melting. Things we go thru to tame our rigs.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
bfrazier

That's bad news. The Achilles heel of my 5291 is how it drags in and out of my own driveway... a scar in the pavement for each time.

Tinman, thank you so much for taking the time to let us all know - very good of you!
Old 09-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
Tinman

Hello B we have matching driveway scars. I also damaged the radius sidewall trim. The piece closest to the generator door
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #13
ezdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Hello B we have matching driveway scars. I also damaged the radius sidewall trim. The piece closest to the generator door

Offtopic for shocks, but regarding the dragging. I have the 5270, 28' BT Cruiser and have the dragging problem. When I replaced the generator which is located near the rear, the new one had the exhaust towards the rear of the generator, and this would have been ripped off eventually, so I installed 4" swivel skid wheels. Mine actually attach to the hitch and are a little more inboard than I would like, but so far, in 4 years, they have done a fine job to keep the frame, hitch and gen exhaust from dragging. They frequently make contact, so I know they are working - and I just go slow.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
bfrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post
Offtopic for shocks, but regarding the dragging. I have the 5270, 28' BT Cruiser and have the dragging problem. When I replaced the generator which is located near the rear, the new one had the exhaust towards the rear of the generator, and this would have been ripped off eventually, so I installed 4" swivel skid wheels. Mine actually attach to the hitch and are a little more inboard than I would like, but so far, in 4 years, they have done a fine job to keep the frame, hitch and gen exhaust from dragging. They frequently make contact, so I know they are working - and I just go slow.
I'd practically pay for a picture of those wheels! Lost my generator tailpipe somewhere in California last week (don't know where!) but I'm headed for Quartzite today or tomorrow - bet they have solutions for the wheels. 2 skid wheels but fits in the hitch huh?
And I drag drag drag (on the hitch) wherever I go, getting used to it!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazier View Post
I'd practically pay for a picture of those wheels! Lost my generator tailpipe somewhere in California last week (don't know where!) but I'm headed for Quartzite today or tomorrow - bet they have solutions for the wheels. 2 skid wheels but fits in the hitch huh?

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ski...tch_Mount.aspx
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
ezdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazier View Post
You can get them at that etrailer link, and also at Camping World. CW may be a little less.

I just tried posting a pic of my skid wheels but I was not successful, so instead, look at the Camping World website, it shows a good pic of them mounted that nearly matches how mine are. Search for Skid Wheel Hitch Mount. Catalog Item # 49076
or
https://www.campingworld.com/skid-wheel-hitch-mount
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote