Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
bertnspike

Default Transmission problems 2005 Independence

I have a 2005 Gulf Stream Independence with the Ford F-10 gas engine. Somehow a cable from the transmission fell down onto the exhaust and melted. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Until this happened I didn't even know transmissions had cables! Gulf Stream told my RV repair guy that the cable is obsolete and he can't get one. I find that ridiculous. There must be thousands of 11 year old trucks and RVs out on the road with the same engine. Wouldn't there be a few with the same transmission?

So... any ideas about this cable and where to get one?

I do not know how I drove this RV 42,000 miles over the last 5 years without this happening before. It happened when I moved about 1/4 mile to get a propane refill. When I came back to my site and backed in - all of a sudden I had no gears and had to shut it down to stop it.

Hoping for some hints.

Susan
bertnspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Transmission problems 2005 Independence

How about a Ford repair facility? If it is a Ford chassis it seems to me like that would be the place to take it to. Even though I think that there are some parts that Ford will not carry anymore if it is over ten years old. I know because I have a Ford F-250 and I needed a part and they told me that they did not carry parts for a truck or car over ten years old, so I went to a salvage place and got the part used.

Not sure what cable you are talking about, but a good transmission mechanic should know exactly what to get and where to get it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
bertnspike

Default Re: Transmission problems 2005 Independence

Thanks Ray. That's the first good answer I've received. Gulf Stream told me it was a gas chassis and not a diesel?!?! I never said it was a diesel! What dips they are. Otherwise they were useless. At least I know now what kind of fuel I should have been using over the last 5 years! hahahaha. I guess next I'll contact Ford and see what suggestions they offer, if any. I can't TAKE it anywhere... it won't run!
bertnspike is offline   Reply With Quote