Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Power Steps..........

I have had problems a couple times with Power Steps not retracting back up in. I think they are Motorcoach Power Steps, similar to Kwikee Steps. Thank god for the internet. Had the GS out the other day, and somebody drove by, pointed down at the steps. Crap, not again!!! so..online research.... I guess these steps have a power window motor in them. That motor apparently can sense restrictions, so they won't close on somebody. Similar for the step. Over time the step joints get dry.

Worst part of this job was just getting under there and getting the plastic cover off. 4 small bolts, came off easy, but a pain getting a couple back on when I was done and re-installing that cover.

I dropped the cover, it has the light in it, and I could easily unplug the wire and get it out of the way. Right across the front, there was a wide bar or shaft, that everything was driven off of. There were some brass type bearings, really just turned inside the frame, and one inside the center. I could see the shaft that drove this bar, with a flexible joint. ALL WERE DRY. I used some carb cleaner, to spray out all those "bearing" locations, nice and clean. This stuff then dries up quickly. I then used Lithium grease on the main points of this cam/rod that turns off the motor drive. I greased those well, along with that shaft off the motor and gear. There were three points to grease on the main drive shaft. Easy to see once you get under there....well...something like that...

Then I greased all the joints on the treadles themselves, anything that moved etc, got greased. Wipe off the extra. I also tapped the motor a couple times, as this is also a common problem. I then ran the steps in and out numerous times. They became QUIETER and quicker. This obvious has been brewing, and suspect the dry bearing points were causing restriction and the motor was probably sensing resistance and stopping.

Put the cover back on, couple of the bolts are small and difficult to get up in with fingers, but with nut driver etc, I got them done.

NOW, I should have put this first, PULL THE FUSE on these steps. Mine was easily available. If your up in there and these snap back in, your gonna be in a world of hurt. I should have put that in here first. Of course I had to crawl back under after putting fuse in ...or out etc. Worst part of the job was getting in and out from under.

That being said...they are working now......Heaven help me if my fix doesn't work, but pretty sure we are good to go....I would also advise people to be observant to make sure the steps DO retract, usually I could hear it, and this time, was not paying attention.....I will now. Imagine what might happen if you hit a curb someplace with them down...lets not think about that .........

Just an fyi for everybody, in case they have this issue...I had them worked on by an rv guy before, and this time said I am going to find out for myself what the heck is going on down there...R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Power Steps..........

Your coach is the twin to mine and the steps were manufactured by Frigette, which was bought out by Lippert. It is a much better step then the Kwikee steps. The motor is three times bigger and is almost bullet proof in comparison. The only problem that I had with those steps was the adjusting linkage which has a couple of bearings on the end of the adjuster and it broke on me one time. I called Lippert and they mailed me the adjuster right away. They are located in Texas.

When I removed the cover on mine it was pretty clean inside. Nothing needed lubrication.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
RayHarkness

Default Re: Power Steps..........

Ray,
that sounds like a different name. I saw the manufacturer name under. I think our coach was built earlier then yours. I could see the "bearings" which weren't really bearings were bone dry, kind of a brass fitting in the frame....I SHOULD have written the name down, along with serial number on it. Next time, I will do that. I can just snap a picture of it, and store it in my file.

it was pretty clean under there, this is the second time I had this happen..but trust me..they are LUBED UP NOW.big time....they sure as hell won't rust!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote