Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Wiper problem

First, let me wish everyone a happy holiday season. Let's hope it's filled with fun and travel.

Now...It's that time of year again. Getting the rig ready to head to warmer surroundings. That can only mean one thing...what's not working on the rig this year?

Well, it seems to be the wipers. I turn them on and nothing! I checked the fuse and it's good.
Looking for advice on if you think it's the motor or the switch, and how do I check?

P.S. seems everyone at Gulfstream has already gone home for the holiday, and not to return until January 5th
Old 12-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Beaufort NC

Default Re: Wiper problem

Wouldn't the wipers be likely more of a chassis problem as opposed to a Gulf Stream problem? Especially if the few is okay?
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
03heritagerider

Called Freightliner first. They said only vehicles with a "smart wheel" (vehicles with controls on the steering wheel) are handled by them. Mine has a "dumb" wheel (all it has is a horn), so it's Gulfstream's issue.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

I guess I would try to test to see if there is 12v power going to the motor by unpluging the connector at the wiper motor and testing it with a meter.
If I had power at the motor then I would see if I could move the wipers with the power going to it in case it is stuck.

Don't forget to have the ignition switch on, wipers won't run without ignition being in the "on" position.

If you don't have 12 volt power to the wiring at the motor, then I would try to check at the wiper switch to see if there is power there, either at the input or output side of the switch.

Good luck, tracking down 12 volt problems can really be a pain.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
03heritagerider

Thanks Ron,

Got it figured out yesterday evening. Had power to the unit (tested at the connection with meter as you suggested). I hooked up a battery to the motor side of the connection and got nothing, so I figured the motor was shot. I took the motor out and tried again to get something with a battery, but no luck. Went to NAPA and the guy tried for half an hour to find a part number that would match, but no luck. Got home and tried calling Freighliner Help line but they said the same thing as before. If it's not a smart wheel, they have no idea what motor Gulfstream installed. Gulfstream is, of course, closed until January 5th.

Got home and put the motor on the workbench and sprayed the daylights out of it with PB Blaster. Went in again last night and sprayed it some more. Before bed, I tried again with the battery and voila, it sprang to life!

Put it back in and all is good.

Funny how things work out sometime. If NAPA or Freighliner or Gulfstream were able to get me a part number, I would have spent at least a couple hundred bucks for a new motor.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Glad to hear you got it working. It was as I thought, froze up from non-use.

Had that happen to my front roof air conditioner motor a couple years ago after it sat not being used for about 6 months. Got it freed up and has been good ever since. Always something with these RV's.

Good Luck with your trip,

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Frutza

Sounds like your park switch, there's a rotary switch that lets the motor run till the blades are in the park position, and its around the motor shaft, were grease is present, if it gives you more problems. Oh. and MERRY CHRISTMAS every one