Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Dashboard vinyl issue

we have a 2002 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser, which we have maintained quite well. We have a different interior color, which is white, with an off white vinyl covering on the dash, and the front overhead bins. This vinyl is getting somewhat sticky and discoloring. We store the coach inside, but its still very hot (in Florida) Anybody have any idea what could be put on the vinyl, for protecting it, and maintaining it. Curious if anybody else has had any similar problems..

Thanks as always. Ray
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Dashboard vinyl issue

Hello Ray! I have not had that problem with my coach, but I was discussing your problem with my wife and she said to try leather cleaner. Try it on a small spot and see what it does. It has worked on ours, but mine is like an ultra leather material.

I had not been able to get into this forum in a long time. I thought maybe it had closed up. Good to see it running again.

RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
RayHarkness

I used some windex on one area, and then followed up with 303 Protectant. I use that stuff on everything. It seemed to help.
The heat raises heck with things down here, there is a product made, but not sure where to get it, and I am not sure I trust it.
I am looking at various vinyl cleaners, but want to stay away from petroleum products etc....Will keep you posted..Its not really that
bad, but you know how picky we get!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
BadX

Hey Ray, I upholster for a living, custom motorcycle seats mostly but also do some car stuff. What we use in our shop to clean vinyl with is made by 3M and is their Citrus Cleaner. They actually have 2 types of citrus cleaner and the one I have found that works the best is 3M Citrus Base Cleaner, Its kind of expensive and I buy it in bulk but I think you can get a can for around $32 but it last a very long time, it don't take much at all and it leaves everything smelling lemon fresh...LOL Once you have it cleaned off just use a mild soapy water to wipe the dash down, never use Son of a Gun or Armor All, these two products will actually do more harm than good especially when combined with direct sunlight.

Here is a link to a online store that has it for $32.39 plus shipping, like I said it is expensive but it don't take much and it cleans vinyls really well. We work on roughly 35-40 motorcycle seats a week and we clean every seat with it once we are finished and a can last us about 2 months.
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
RayHarkness

wow...I will look into this.
for some reason, the upper areas, above the front window cabinets have vinylon them...around the TV. I think the heat causes the problem. The actual dashboard, which is lower, seems ok. I will get some of this stuff... I have that sticky feeling, and suspect it will only get worse. Thanks for the tip>
See, ain't this here internet thing great? Ray
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
BadX

DUH!....forgot the link http://wholesalepowertools.com/3m-citru ... fF_6RFVhBc

I am by no means affiliated with this company selling the 3M cleaner, I just googled it and it was the cheapest unless you want to buy a case of it
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
RayHarkness

I never use that commercial product that has petroleum distilates in them.
My favorite product normally (used it on the dashboard) is 3m 303 Protectant. I use it on the outside, the tires, etc.
I also have a soft top Jeep. I keep it coated with that stuff..HIGH UV protection.
I will check this NEW stuff out..thats the next project, currently running a coax cable down into an exterior compartment. What a job routing the dang thng.

THanx..Ray