Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Door Problems

I have a 2004 Sun Voyager, the entry door is rubbing along the side. It appears that the top hinge is worn, probably because of the gas strut at the top to keep the door from slamming into the side. I have not been able to find a place to sell me a new door hinge. Also I am wondering if I would drill a small hole in the gas strut to release the gas, so it will just act as a door stop would help. The strut even though it is only a 20 lb strut is putting a lot of pressure on the top of the door. Is there any one who has run into this problem and what is the fix it
Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
darbyjudy

Default Re: Door Problems

I cannot believe I am the only one that has entry door problems. They must have been someone who has had the problem and has solved it.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
RayChez1

My coach a Scenic Cruiser does not have a gas operating system on the door. Why don't you just remove it if you are not happy with it. I sometimes wish mine had one, but there is no place to screw one on mine.

Now as to the hinge, have you tried calling Gulf Stream and ask them who the vendor was that sold them the hinges for your coach. Just have the last six digits of your VIN number when you call them and they will tell you where you can buy one.

The hinges on mine are huge and I can not see them wearing out as you described yours.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
darbyjudy

I never was able to find a door hinge. I made the repair by doing away with the gas shock. It was a 20 lb gas shock and over the years the constant pressure of the gas shock caused the top hinge to wear. I decided to drill a small hole in the underside of the gas shock and release the gas. Now it is free to move without any pressure put on the hinge. It is still used as a stop for the door. By doing this it took care of the door hitting the side near the lock. If I would to ever be able to find a hinge I still would replace it but at least for now it is OK