Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
tarheel

Default Roof Air Conditioner Noise

I posted the following message to answer a question under "Hall Of Shame" but thought it worthy of posting here also -

I had an RV tech at the house today working on my satelite on my 07 Tourmaster and I mentioned to him that one of my air conditioners was pretty noisy. He took off the internal cover (six screws), got a wrench and tightened up the 4 internal bolts that hold the unit on the roof. A couple of the bolts had several turns needed. As soon as this was done, all of the vibration and other noise disappeared.

After he left, I did the same thing to the other unit. What a difference it made! He told me that after a very short time after manufacturing, the seals on the units when installed get badly depressed, allowing the unit to vibrate. Sure made a difference on my units! He suggested holding a small socket wrench close to the socket so that I wouldn't turn it much.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
GO BLUE

I also had a problem with the rear air not working...remote guy could not fix my problem...but he had me shut off the slde vents on the front two airs and it would force all to the circular vents......kept it way cold in bedroom once I got rear a/c fixed I closed off that one also....much quieter than before......jim k
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Esbarnp

Default Re: Roof Air Conditioner Noise

OIn July 2010' Tarheel' talked about the roof a/c noise. Was this noise constant when you were stationary(camping) or while mobile? Was it a rattling noise or just aloud a/c?. My roof a/c's (2007 Tourmaster) are loud, especially when trying to sleep. I have closed the side vents and allowed the air to flow to the ceiling vents, which did quite the noise some what.I know that we won't get the quietness of a Newmar coach, but Less decibels would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Esbarnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
RayChez1

Newmar coaches are no different. We never use the bedroom air conditioner while we are sleeping. we just use the front with a plastic deflector to throw all the air back. I works pretty good for us.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
keikomika

Wife called me today..She is in MO and I am in CA..the front a/c is making a terrible vibration noise when it's on..She told me if she pushes up on the ceiling between the A/C and the flourescent light, the noise goes away...My question, could the duct work have come loose in the ceiling? This is a 2006 TourMaster..Thanks for any info you may provide...
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
RayChez1

The air conditioner should not vibrate at all. It sounds to me like something might have come loose in the air conditioner itself.
I have the low profile Coleman air conditioner/heat pump combination. I have never felt any vibration at all on our units.
I don't think the duct would vibrate loose and cause the noise you describe.
Keep us posted on what the problem was, it might help somebody else that might have the same problem.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
Linda27

Air conditioners are known for more than just being able to cool your home. They are known to help purify the air and remove allergens from it. They are similar, and air purifiers help to keep the house cool in the blistering hot months. You can find relief in the home of a humid climate temperature, which brings warm air blows over the coils of metal, which leads to cold air when it hits.
Linda27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
keikomika

Tried the same fix as Tarheel...Took the cover down and tightened up the 4 bolts. Worked like a charm..Wife is very happy now with the lack of vibrating noise in the living room...Now for the next question. Wife called me the other morning and told me the bedroom A/C made some kind of noise in the middle of the night. Said the compressor kept trying to start. It would run for a second or two and then stop...Any ideas what might be wrong this time???
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote