Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
jshelley13

Default 2007, tourmaster/overheating

I have had my coach for 4 yrs., w/ no engine problem....left north carolina 3 wks ago, over the mtns. into tenn., over to amarrillo tex....then my troubles started, almost to las cruces, through mtns, my coach overheated, I limped into las cruces...a dealer replaced my shrayed belt......onto tuscan, 1/2 way there the coach overheated again, limped into a small shop, & they blowed the radiator...."lots of dust & debris had accumulated"....tuscan to phoenix, was "ok"....
left phoenix on rte 17 to flagstaff , an hour later....overheated again,we unhooked the car,& proceeded, but limped in....it seems that after the engine warms up, & is put under a load such as an uphill grade, she overheats....ANYONE EXPERIENCE SUCH AS THIS.

Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: 2007, tourmaster/overheating

Do you have a side or rear radiator? If you have a rear radiator what you need to do is to wash it real good from the inside out because inside the radiator you have the CAC which gets pretty dirty and will plug up the flow of air. Spray it real good with Simple Green, let it set for a few minutes and then spray wash it. You will be surprised as to all the dirt that comes off.

If it continues to heat up, you might have a bad thermostat that is sticking. Also check to see if you are not low on anti freeze in your reservoir.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
jshelley13

thks Ray, will do......freightliner thinks it is a bad sensor....hope they are right....
jim
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
jtking

Jim,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have not had overheating issues, but as Ray says the radiator can get real dirty on the engine side. When we had the Discovery I used to spray it regularly with Simple Green or Engine Cleaner/Degreaser and then spray real good with hose. The Tour Master seems to stay cleaner (so far).

I hope Freightliner is right about it being a sensor--they can cause false readings. My check engine light issue we chatted about in Florida ended up being the sensor in the fuel/water separator. When we got home changed both the separator and fuel filter--problem solved.

Good luck!

John
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
jshelley13

thks John, I too hope that is the answer, freightliner thinks my radiator , coolant is ok,& when they checked the computer, no sign of over heating.....hope you two doing well, stay in touch..

Jim
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
keikomika

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I had the same thing with my 06 tourmaster. The first freightliner guy said it was nothing to be worried about as there were no codes in the system. After having the rig towed in the next time, found out there is an electric fan that went out. Freighliner fixed it under warranty and gave me a 12 month warranty on the fan. 15 months later, the fan went out again and had to be towed in. It has held since but that was my problem...
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
RayChez1

So what was the overheating problem Jshelley? Kind of curious as to what the problem was and you might help somebody else with that kind of problem.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
jshelley13

Ray, it was the radiator, negative side, finally after 3 freightliner dealers, in 3 states, said that it was "not".....a dealer in tupelo miss., was able to get thru the fan shroud, w/ air, & 1/4" copper tubing extension......what a mess , he blew out,
PROBLEM SOLVED. but only after I had driven over 2,000 miles, by the temp guage...moral of story, clean b/ sides of radiator.

hope this helps,
Jim S
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
RayChez1

Jim, Glad they found the problem. I always worry when it is a heating problem. I have the rear radiator with a CAC attached right to it on the inside. I wash it at least once a year. I spray it with simple green real good and then use an electric sprayer I bought up in Oregon and I was surprised all the dirt that accumulates on those CAC and the inside of the radiator.
Thanks for the reply.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
rdlamb

Jim:
Sorry for the late reply, I'm just getting back in the forum.
I think there was a recall, or service advisory, that came from Cummins. You might check at a Freightliner shop about this. My Cummins ISL was one of the many involved in the recall due to
improper parts, main bearings, and I had a new engine installed. At that time, the Cummins shop told me they had to reprogram the computer to actuate the electric fans as there was some
sort of miscalculation inherit with the factory program. This was in 2008.
Just for your info, hope it helps.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
crewchiefpro

I travel 30,000 miles a year in my coach and overheating has been an issue. I race a car and have a 32 foot enclosed trailer on the back. In the mountains it has been overheating. What I did was clean the radiator many time to no avail. I found the clutch fan was no longer functioning when the motor got hot. Since I could not get parts for this I decided to get two 12 volt fans and a automatic start kit to run them. This start kit has a radiator sensor and is supossed to automatically fire them when the temp gets above 195. I added a remote control switch also so if they don't start I can press a button on a remote and start the fans also.

With two 16 inch fans mounted on the outside of the radiator with zip ties it really helps keep the temps in check. Total cost about $100 and we put it in two hours ( mostly wasted time trying to figure out where to mount them and wire them ). These fans are reversable in direction but luckily they pulled air instead of pushing air so we didn't have to.
crewchiefpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchiefpro
I travel 30,000 miles a year in my coach and overheating has been an issue. I race a car and have a 32 foot enclosed trailer on the back. In the mountains it has been overheating. What I did was clean the radiator many time to no avail. I found the clutch fan was no longer functioning when the motor got hot. Since I could not get parts for this I decided to get two 12 volt fans and a automatic start kit to run them. This start kit has a radiator sensor and is supossed to automatically fire them when the temp gets above 195. I added a remote control switch also so if they don't start I can press a button on a remote and start the fans also.

With two 16 inch fans mounted on the outside of the radiator with zip ties it really helps keep the temps in check. Total cost about $100 and we put it in two hours ( mostly wasted time trying to figure out where to mount them and wire them ). These fans are reversable in direction but luckily they pulled air instead of pushing air so we didn't have to.

Is this a side radiator or rear radiator you have on your coach. Just wondering because you mention a clutch type fan. I have a rear radiator and the fan does not have a fan clutch, so that is why I was wondering.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
crewchiefpro

It is a rear radiator. 2007 Tourmaster with Mercedes engine. I thought all of them had an electric clutch fan.
crewchiefpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchiefpro
It is a rear radiator. 2007 Tourmaster with Mercedes engine. I thought all of them had an electric clutch fan.
Are you losing antifreeze at all. The fan may have an electric clutch, I'm not sure, but it is driven by a hyd. pump and that's probably where the clutch is. I'm sure you noticed a hydraulic oil resivour by the antifreeze overflow tank. I have a friend that has a cummins with the same set up. There is a hydraulic oil cooler in the line for the fan pump. This cooler sprung a leak in his. He tried to have it repaired twice to no avail. They told him they couldn't get a replacement as they were no longer made. Finally, he replaced it with a different brand (just had to figure out how to mount it) and all was well. He was leaking a small amount of antifreeze from that cooler before he had it fixed, though.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote