Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
fastkart74

Default Supernova mpg

I read an earlier post where they said their supernova had two 70 gallon tanks. Is this the case with all? The reason I ask is that we picked our unit up on Friday at our dealer which is about 100 miles from home. We burnt over 1/4 tank of fuel. If our tank is 140 gallons we are getting about 4 mpg. Can anyone shed some light on this before hubby parks it indefinately?

Janice
fastkart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Chubbs

The only way to really check gas mileage is to run to near empty, then fill and check mileage. After doing this 2 - 3 times you should be able to get a more accurate mileage check.

The fuel guage at best is only an approximation that is why you need to go to near empty and fill for a more accurate mpg.

Mileage will improve as the motor gets broken in.

We do not own a SN but are looking at purchasing a 6372.

Hope this helps.......................
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
JimBob

Default Super Nova Mileage

We have the twin 70 gal tanks. Fill up from the right side first!

We are closer to 8-9 mpg, and that is based on averaging 60-63 mph on Interstates and 55 on red roads.

Did your dealer explain the economy mode on your transmission? That will assist your mpg also.

Enjoy your unit, and keep posting, we have a common interest in sharing info on our units, as well as fixes, upgrades, and so forth.

Jim Bob
08 Super Nova
Greenwood, SC, on the way to Orlando for spring break
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Texas TC

The fuel tanks on the International chassis coaches are kinda fun after you get accustomed to how they work. The right tank feeds first and then, at a controlled level monitored by sensors, the leveler pump will pump the fuel from the left tank to the right until the tanks are level again. On long trips, I get a kick out of watching the fuel gauge appear to fill itself up over and over as the fuel gauge goes down, then up, then down again.

I did have an issue with mine. The pickup tubes assembled from the factory were 16" and the tank is 19" deep. I learned this the hard way by running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. International has since change to the proper pickup tubes and all is OK.

Like Jim Bob says, always fill the right tank first since it is the first tank that delivers fuel to the injectors. You will get accustomed to the way it works fairly quickly. We always go to truck stops for fuel since they have the dual island pumps. We have signed up for several frequent fueler programs since we usually put in a hundred gallons or more when we stop.

As far is mpg, I get around 8-8.5 mpg running 70-75 towing a 3700# Jeep Wrangler. Now that diesel prices have gone up, I may slow down a bit so I can get better economy (but I doubt it). I just love to let those horses run on the Interstate. I do know it will bury the 85 mph speedometer but don't make a habit of going there very often.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
TheHansens

Default Gas Mileage

We purchased a Gladiator (smaller than SN) in Dec. and ours came with only 1 70 gal tank. The husband just had International add a second. We were told to expect 10-12 mpg and right now getting 7 mpg. International says motor needs to break-in and will improve around 10,000 miles. With desiel now over $4 here in FL, it looks like only short trips for us until we take off for the month of August. We may not live long enough to see 10K. I imagine the truckers will need to go on strike before we see any changes.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #6

Default Fuel MPG

DELETED
Old 04-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
exspand

I heard the new ones are only coming with the one 70 gallon tank....
exspand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Texas TC

I noticed that GS is about to intro their 2009 models. Did not read anything about fuel tanks only that they are, once again, going to offer the SuperNova in a 36' model. This one will have a full wall slide and a bath and a half. I will be glad when the new models come out only to see the new colors. I am getting tired of seeing the original four colors (which, of late, have almost entirely been paired down to luxury red and blue).

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote