Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
raydewai

Exclamation 2005 3420 endura coach batteries not charging off shore power

Hello neighbor's
Iam a seasoned rv tramp Journeyman Lineman looking for past information about my new to me purchased 2005 super c 3420 endura.
My issues are the coach charging system (2- new 12 volt Interstate batteries), When traveling down the road the batteries recharge off the alternator just fine,when on shore power they fade out with minimal usage, in 3days.I have converted to LED lights to shed load (it has helped).
Iam curious on others experience with this model of rv and resolutions to this problem, after all it has been around for 14 years now.
Thanks for any input.
raydewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Microguy

Sounds like your converter isnt working to keep the batteries charged. I would disconnect the battery and see what your 12 volts looks like.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
raydewai

what voltage should I expect to get. I will test in a few days.I dont think it provides enough to fully charge batteries it seems to work intermittently and keeps batteries at 30% with everything off.Not sure if the inverter is failing or under rated.Any thoughts
Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
Restorium

Batteries at 30% with everything off seems like it's not working at all.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Microguy

Just for clarity, keep your terms straight. I think we know what youre talking about, but others.....

Converter converts the AC into DC and should keep a charge on the batteries. An inverter, takes DC power and spits out AC.

Other than that, I couldnt say much without knowing some numbers. I think my converter had a high 13 on the battery, 13.8 or something. When the engine is running and the alternator is doing its job, it went to about 14.8 or so.

I would also recommend that you put a current meter on the battery with everything off (should be zero), then with shore power (should see a charge current). depending on the state of the battery, this could be large or small, so use a meter that can handle about 10 amps or you may blow the fuse in a smaller meter.

FYI, our GS has a pretty good (sounding) converter, it should tend the battery quite nicely, its not just 12V on the battery. If the battery is in good shape, you may only see a small trickle charge, which might be intermittent and hard to pick up.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Microguy

Heres what our converter (Intelipower PD9200 series) manual says;

When operating normally, the output is a nominal 13.6VDC

If the converter senses the battery drops below "a preset voltage level", it goes into boost mode and increases output to 14.4 VDC.

If there is no significant battery usage for about 30 hours the converter goes into storage mode. Dropping the output voltage to 13.2VDC (for minimal water usage). When in this mode, the microprocessor increases the voltage to 14.4VDC for 15 minutes every 21 hours.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Frutza

Inverter or converter? A inverter charger usually has a better charger than a converter and can be turned off! And may have a display showing, volts, amps, ect, yes, it sounds as if your just not charging on shore power, Do you have any displays showing voltage? I use a cheap cig lighter volt meter in the dash, don't know how many cig plugs on your rig, I have a few and there on house batteries
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Cowgomooo

You might check to see if the system charges the chassis batteries on shore power. Our 2006 GS Crescendo does not. The way to test is: while plugged in check voltage on chassis batteries and then house batteries. Then unplug from shore power. If the chassis batteries stayed the same voltage, they are not charging.

I added an Amp-L-Start. This device steals a little juice from the house battery circuit and uses that to charge the chassis batteries. I installed mine at the boost solenoid in the rear breaker compartment. Works Great! About $75 and less than an hour.
Cowgomooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgomooo View Post
You might check to see if the system charges the chassis batteries on shore power. Our 2006 GS Crescendo does not. The way to test is: while plugged in check voltage on chassis batteries and then house batteries. Then unplug from shore power. If the chassis batteries stayed the same voltage, they are not charging.

I added an Amp-L-Start. This device steals a little juice from the house battery circuit and uses that to charge the chassis batteries. I installed mine at the boost solenoid in the rear breaker compartment. Works Great! About $75 and less than an hour.
You could have either added a switched 12 volt source to activate the booster solenoid, used the switch on the dash if it's not momentary, or even ran a small jumper set across the two battery circuits on the booster solenoid. Not sure why you would spend $75 on a gadget to do the same thing. Just for the lights to tell you if your batteries are malfunctioning? I must be missing something.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
Wolfpack

Dollars to donuts it's your converter. Mine has two fuses on it that I popped when I momentarily cross connected my batteries when replacing them. Would not recharge on shore power. Researched the issue on this forum I believe, found the inverter, the fuses, and problem solved.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
raydewai

thanks for all the input I will be checking into the differences between Inverter and converter charging, as well as a voltage meter and amperage test.
It will be a few weeks before I can report my resolution.