Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
drewtex

Default Thinking about buying a 1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8362SVB

I'm looking at purchasing the abovementioned used MH and am wondering if ya'll have any comments/opinions/suggestions about this MH. I will be a newbie to the MH lifestyle and am considering living in it permanently. Thanks, drewtex
drewtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
retusn

Default Re: Thinking about buying a 1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8362

Sir,
I bought a 1998. Same model. The quality is not the best in the world, but it is not the worst either. The only problem that I have found is the floor is a little bouncie between beams. I believe the subfloor is not very thick and that is the reason. I checked underneath some of the flooring for water damage - none. I am going to take the carpet out, probably install 1/8 - 1/4 inch subflooring and then laminated wood. That should solve my problem
Didn't mean to go into long detail. I hoped this helps somewhat.

r/Bob
retusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
drewtex

Thank you, sir. The one I'm looking at has all-wood flooring. I'm curious, as it is now a 14-year-old vehicle, if you have had any other major issues that you have dealt with. I would be a first-timer to RV lifestyle (and probably a full-timer as well). I haven't had the chance to actually view it or drive it. I hope to do this shortly. I'm wondering if this might be over my head in dealing with since I've never done this before (and I'm not very bright!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
retusn

I have not had any problems other than what I call mickey mouse stuff because the original owner whom I bought it from never really did anything other start it and drive it a little bit for 5 yrs.
I believe you will have a different engine than I have. My rv has a 12 valve mechanical Cummins engine, meaning no computers. You should have a mechanic look at it to be on the safe side.
Also, make sure the person selling it to you shows you paperwork of the work he/she has had done to it. I was lucky because I bought mine from a neighbor who was the original owner with ALL records.
I have driven it approx 4500 miles this past year and would never go back to a gas class A again. I get approx 9.3 MPG pulling a 2007 Toyota Tacoma dbl cab. (4000 lbs).
You can ask me any other questions you would like.
r/Bob
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
drewtex

Thanks for that information! I don't like computers in vehicles. I read up on microwave/convection ovens because this one has one, and they seem to be better that conventional ovens. I plan on pulling a Toyota Sienna minivan behind it with all the stuff I can't fit in the MH, like my 15' canoe. I've got a lot of research to do about being a full-timer. Are you one? I'm looking for any links that will help me with that, i.e. where you can stay, insurance, living in it during the winter, so many questions!!!!!!! It is a 14-year-old vehicle and I'm concerned about encountering major problems with it. It is with a dealer in Chattanooga and hope they will do it right. I'm not able to pay for major problems. Thanks for you help! Drew
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
retusn

Did you purchase the RV you were looking at?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Camperman

Hello, I have a 2006 GS Sun Voyageur with the Workhorse 8.1 Chassis and Allison transmission. I find the rig is a bit underpowered on hills while pulling my Nissan Versa but pretty good without the car. I took it across the Rockies in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada and when I arrived on Vancouver Island I had to replace the engine and
transmission oil. Tran. oil was a $400 job.
In the past 19 months I drove it 22,000 miles and it was very good all the way.I have had several problems, mostly minor except for replacing a refrigerator. The one annoying problem I had, and many people with a slide directly behind the drivers seat have the same problem, is that after a heavy rain I have to take extra precautions to ensure water doesn't enter on top of the slide when I bring it in. It happened on 2 occasions and water dumped on me as I was driving. IF I had been someplace other than a campground it might have caused an accident. To avoid that now I bring in the other 2 slides and lift the rear of the rig slightly on the back to allow water to run off. Then I lay a towel on top of the slide when I bring it in to soak up any drips. I'll replace the seal when the weather improves and hope that helps. It has a topper which helps some but not much if there is heavy wind with the rain.
One other problem is that the rig is cold when temp drops mostly due to that atrium in the Sun Voyageur. We have learned to bring that slide in when temp drops and that helps a lot. The Sun Voyageur is a 2 season rig at best unless you live in the South. Even visiting Florida, Texas and Az we used several oil filled, electric heaters which kept it comfortable.
We lived in the unit for 19 months but if we were to go full time I'd trade in the Sun Voyageur for something else with better insulation and fewer windows.
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote