Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
allthelarsons

Default 6400 ride issues ???s

I know this topic has been beat to death, and seems slightly contraversial so let me start by saying:

I knew exactly what I was getting when I/We bought it. It handles like a dream, after a 1500 or so miles I didnt realize that getting to a destinjation could be so stress free. We started with a TT, then went to a Class C, then to the SuperNova. Over the last 20 or so years I had grown accustomed to being worn out when we arrived at our destination. Gone are the days of feeling like the machine is being pushed to the limit constantly. Gone are the days of being fearfull of side wind. Gone are the days of worriyng about where the rig would end up while passing on oncoming semi on a steeply crowned 2 lane highway. (all you Mexico travelers know what I mean)

Now to the heart of my concern. I tow a 20 enclosed trailer. None of the stuff stays put on the front bench. I towed it behind the class C and nothing ever moved. Now everything ends up on the floor. I havent had the trailer weighed, but it has enough tongue weight to tow perfectly straight even with the load mostly to the rear of the trailer. Going to the desert last weekend I hit some pretty good roller coaster type hills. When I got there the 1000lb tongue 10,000lb ball mount was bent substantially. I am positive the tongue is under 1000. I estimate somewhere in the range of 5-600lb. There is a spot I noticed coming home that has many gouges from trailer jacks digging in. I am assuming this to be where it happenned. I might have been traveling a little fast 75+, just because it is such a confidence enspiring ride. I will obviously need to modify this behavior.

Shocks seem like a reasonable up grade, but I am hoping to address this problem at the same time. Do you who tow trailers use load leveling hitches?
allthelarsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
pchicky

I have a 6400 model and frequently tow a 20 foot enclosed car trailer with a Shelby Mustang in it (about 3600 lbs weight). I use a weight distributing hitch and have never had a problem with the hitch equipment or the tongue bottoming out.....and that includes hitting some pretty dips in the road at highway speeds. The SuperNova pulls it without issue.

Hope this helps.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
allthelarsons

I never felt it bottom out if it did. The last trip litterally threw everything off the shelf: compressor, tools, helmets, etc onto my wifes '58 manx. Do you notice less of the bucking in the rear with the leveling hitch connected?

Joe
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
pchicky

Joe, I've never pulled my trailer without the load leveling hitch so I really don't have a comparison that I have to your situation. I can say that I haven't had the bucking problem you've had. In fact, I have several boxes of things on the floor in front of the car, and they never move around, so I'm guessing that the trailer isn't bucking back there. I certainly can't feel it in the handling of the coach.

You mentioned in your first post that the ball mount was bent substantially. Which way? Up, down?
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
PieEye

I pull a 24' enclosed trailer all the time with my 6400 and don't have any bucking problems. I have a weight dist/anti sway hitch on the trailer for the rare times I pull it with my wifes Durango, but I never bother hooking it up on the Supernova. For my application its not needed and just adds extra work. I only pull about 4k pounds of atv's and gear and I guess the trailer probably weights around 4k lbs. It rides and pulls straight as an arrow and the only thing I tie down is the machines, everthing else stays put without any problems.

I have dragged the hitch and tounge jack on occasion but never at highway speeds. I've destroyed a few wireing harnesses, plugs and break-away cables when dragging, but no problems with the hitch or shanks.
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
allthelarsons

Seems like overkill, since I never feel the trailer back there at all. The hitch bent down. I was kind of in a lickle, so I decided to reduce speed and yuank it home that way. I am going to guess my set-up is the asame weight as PieEye.

I have always been concerned about being nose light. The weight of the wifes Manx lands just in front of the trailers front axle. 2 quads ride over the axles, and everything else: 2 dirt bikes, and another 2 quads ride behind the rear axle.

I guess I should really start with the scale before I drop any $, so I know exactly what is going on back there.

It was a pretty deep roller. I guess 500 lbs of tongue weight could have easily turned to 5000 lb with the inertia the trailer carried over the hill. It was a perfect scenario, where the trailer tongue would have been hitting the lowest point of the dip, right when the front wheels of the 6400 would have crested the hill.

Joe