Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
trickto322

Default steering control

Our tourmaster has a tendency to drift, feels like its floating, when I am driving, I have to keep correcting. Someone said its from the air bags compensating for movement, I don't know. I read on another forum that there is aftermarket things you can install like "Safe T plus", "Steer Safe" and Super steer are just a few. Has anyone used any of these products? Which would you reccomend?
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
djqualls

I have had the same questions as well. And from what I have read these steering issues may be helped with the use of one of the steering stabilizers that you mentioned.

However, I think most of the airbag corrections issues you mentioned would be helped with some aftermarket shocks. I'm planning on installing some on mine don't know if it should be Koni or Bilstien or what yet.

I believe the steering devices are extra protection in case of a front wheel blow out for sure and if properly setup it will take some of the fatique factor out of "Hearding" the coach in strong winds.

Dave.......
Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
trickto322

I think I saw someone on this forum with one of these products in their signature. I hope they read this and let us know if it was worth the $$$ to add this.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Arthur Hayes

If you have not already taken your units to a shop and had the front end aligned and tires trued by having them made perfectly round and balanced, then I suggest you do that before spending a lot of money. When I took delivery of my unit it did not handle well also. I had the above work done and now it handles very well. When I drove MCI Coaches over the road this was done whenever we noted handling problems and it always worked for me. Should cost about $200.00 to have done.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Arthur Hayes

One other and very important item I forgot to mention is to get the unit weighed by Axel and inflate the tires accordingly.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
SueMac

We had the same issues with our Dutch Star and first Alfa. Once we weighed the coach and had the tire PSI match the coach weight, it was much better.

Good luck with getting the coach to be comfortable to drive.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
trickto322

Had the tires balanced and the psi adjusted and the ride appeared to improve however DW was not satisfied so we went to Camping world and got "STEER SAFE" installed. I must admitt the control is much better. Of course the trucks still have that rush after they pass you, but the coach just keeps going in our lane not drifting at all. When I make a turn the wheel returns to center without assistance from me.

Johnnie and Adrian
Old 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
rob

Default Re: steering control

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickto322
Our tourmaster has a tendency to drift, feels like its floating, when I am driving, I have to keep correcting. Someone said its from the air bags compensating for movement, I don't know. I read on another forum that there is aftermarket things you can install like "Safe T plus", "Steer Safe" and Super steer are just a few. Has anyone used any of these products? Which would you reccomend?
i just bought a used one and it has the same floating thing going on, really make it hard o drive, i had the alighnment checked and also put new tires, but still have sane problem. mine has the spartan with the solid axle.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
quikduk

Rob and I have been PM-ing back and forth but for the forum, I will summarize:

1. Correct tire pressure for load on both axles with a fully loaded and fueled coach.

2. Evenly balanced load (under and inside coach).

3. Correct ride height for both axles (air bag leveling valves adjusted correctly).

4. Good shocks (we had Bilsteins and went to Koni FSD's. What an IMPROVEMENT!!!)

5. Good tires, round and with proper alignment.

6. Axle bearings/king pins lubricated and adjusted properly (requires a shop unless you know how to do it).

That ought to do it. A steering stabilizer will only mask problems if they have not been corrected. They can aid in the uneven road and cross wind fighting but I would do the others first.

Just my $.02.