Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
steve.k

Default Re: I did it!Orderd Acs Superride!

C:\Users\user\Pictures\airride.jpgWell got the airride in place it was a bit of jockeying but it fits and wow what a difference..Also have shocks installed. You can notice the different weight in each side by the difference in bag height!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airride.jpg (122.1 KB, 2461 views)
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
steve.k

:\Users\user\Pictures\shocks.jpg Heres the shocks!Nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shocks.jpg (123.8 KB, 2460 views)
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
dsomonster

Sweet setup. Just got my rig back yesterday and took a 50 mile drive to test the new Road Kings and the TS Controller. What a difference the big 3 made on my 6400. I can't wait to get the trailer hooked up and go for a trip.

I know the shocks take @ 500-1000 miles to fully break in and I plan to put those miles on over the Labor Day weekend.

I will keep you guys posted.

-Ron in SoCal
Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
steve.k

Good to hear!Im going to take mine for a fifty mile spin then we have to retorque tires.It sure seems smooth now,but i do notice a little more sway.My mechanics had to do a little more fabbing(they are crazy over things)to get it installed.We mounted the compressor and tank in side door below propane tank so i could easily access the breakers if need be.We have a big trip planned for 25th i will keep you updated!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
dsomonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k
Good to hear!Im going to take mine for a fifty mile spin then we have to retorque tires.It sure seems smooth now,but i do notice a little more sway.My mechanics had to do a little more fabbing(they are crazy over things)to get it installed.We mounted the compressor and tank in side door below propane tank so i could easily access the breakers if need be.We have a big trip planned for 25th i will keep you updated!
Steve, what psi did you have your bags set to? Just trying to compare notes with everyone who installed the ACE system.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
steve.k

Here's where we mounted compressor under tank!The pump kicks out at 100psi?Is that the proper setting?I trust the boys have it set right? I did read and Texas had metioned his compressor in a box?Is yours this way?Mine is open to the elements below propane tank?There was no cover for mine. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compressor.jpg (99.7 KB, 2454 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #27
dsomonster

Mine is set at 100psi also. That is what is set from the factory I believe??? We tried settings at 65, 85 and 100 and we stuck with 100. I did not want to go too far above the century mark...I just did not know what to expect from the system. 100 psi works for me.

My compressor is installed on a frame rail just rear of the rear axle right behind the genny. I have a 6400n so that is pretty far back. I was thinking about boxing it in like TexasTC did, but the guys at ACE assured me it was fine as long as it wasn't water logged. It can handle all the normal road stuff...but we shall see. I think if I was driving in water levels that high, the compressor would be the last thing on my mind.

I have pics of my install but I need to download them to my photobucket and post them here. I will have them up tomorrow.

-Ron
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
steve.k

Thanks Dsomonster I will just leave it at 100! I did take unit for a 60 mile run yesterday and yes it is way smoother for sure. One thing I did notice was the air ride absorbs alot of the road noise. I can now hear things in coach I couldn't hear before. I first thought I had something wrong with engine but then realized with the new quietness I was hearing things I couldn't before. Have you noticed this also? I find the coach so smooth and vibration free it's easy to speed? Steve
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
dsomonster

Steve, I knew something was different yesterday. I could not put my finger on it as I was in awe of the drive. Now that you mention it, I had to turn the radio down because it was too loud and that is NEVER the case. I was by myself, so I was not able to carry on a conversation.

Here is a pic of my install. You can see my compressor at the top of the pic. I am shooting the pic from the back of the rig under the rear of the coach. The compressor is wide open to the elements with the exception of the bottom mounting plate. The pic was taken after @ 24-30 hours sitting. I lose @ 80 psi:

Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
steve.k

Ron install looks great and tank and compressor up high out of way. I didn't notice leveling valves are they on front of unit?Also did you guys have to redrill plates for install to get everything fitting correctly?we had to alter quite abit it did not just bolt in! Steve
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
dsomonster

Steve,
The leveling jacks in the forefront of the pic are the rear jacks. The other 2 tiny ones in the background of the pic are the front jacks.

Yeah, the holes on the plates were too small. We had to get a larger drill bit to enlargen the holes to fit the bolts. That was a major setback since those plates are thick and strong. There was over 20 holes to redrill.

Other than that, finding a spot was easy and finding a mounting location for the compressor was easy. Contemplating building an enclosure for the compressor was brain busting. We decided to hold off until we knew if we needed an enclosure since that would be a custom piece.

A ton of work and a huge learning curve but definitely worth it since now my Class C "truck" now rides as nice as some of those high dollar buses.

-Ron
Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #32
steve.k

Thanks Ron ! I was referring to the leveling valves for air susp? Mine are both mounted on back of susp. I didn't see yours so I assumed they on diff side of susp.? Your right about class a ride at fraction of price. I did look at neighbors class a and it has 4 bags front and 4 on rear axle so I imagine it's quite smooth?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
dsomonster

Steve,
My bad. Yes, the leveling valves are on the front side of the unit. I will take a pic of the other side so you are able to see them. It basically looks like your pic but on the other side.

Wow, that many bags on a class A. No wonder they cost a lot. I will look under my buddy's Newmar to see how many he has. The Newmar's ride is nice; HOWEVER, I believe with the mods we have done to the suspension, we have to be pretty close in ride quality.

I will give a full review after the Labor Day weekend. I will be pulling a full trailer of toys and a fully loaded rig with food, water and all the normal junk.

I can't wait!

-Ron
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
steve.k

Ron how many hrs for your installation? My shop charged me 50 hrs which works out to 5000 bucks? Seems high to me I'm on my way to chat with them. Seems to me Texas was 5500 including price of kit.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
dsomonster

I will PM you.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
steve.k

Just coverd over 600 miles with air ride and yes it is a heck of alot smoother! I do notice it likes to pitch from side to side in corners and in wind gusts? Takes some getting used to! Are yours like this or do I need to set bags stiffer?? That's all I notice ride is way smooth.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #37
dsomonster

I noticed the pitch too, but better than the jarring harshness of the ride prior to the bags. I know the pitch is not as bad as prior to the ACE system because I have spot on my street where I would lightly grind my back levelers when I pulled my trailer fully loaded. Even with the pitch noticed by my "seat of the pants measuring system", I do not ever scrape the rear levelers anymore.

I also noticed this side to side dipping motion in Class A's that I drive or ride in. In my camping group we have anywhere from 2-5 Class A rigs and I get to ride in them all the time. I am the designated camp site parking attendant so I get to drive them even if it is in reverse most of the time. That side to side dipping motion is there on the Class A rigs also. My RV tech says that is the norm on air ride suspensions and that is what gives it the plush like ride. He has a Class A (thing is over half a million dollars) and he has all the bells and whistles he installed to make his rig one of the best I've seen. It is a Country Coach Affinity and I would venture to say he has another $100-$150k in the upgrades. He gets everything at wholesale and does the labor himself so I am sure it is not that much.

Anyways, when he first installed the ACE system on my rig, that is the first thing I noticed when pulling it out of his driveway. It dipped pretty low in the corner. He was with me on the test drive and was laughing when my eyes bugged out. He assured me not to worry and the air ride will tend to do it more vs leaf springs and shocks. The rest of the test drive went without a hitch. I loved it. When we got back, we jumped in his rig and went down the driveway and it leaned in to the corner just like the Nova did. Nowadays, I accept it for what it is and keep on camping. It is just a different feeling.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You have a sweet setup, get on out there and enjoy the lifestyle. I know I will this Labor Day weekend. Headed out to Big Bear, CA. Not a long drive but I will get 200 miles out of it and some really steep up hills.

I will keep you posted.

-Ron
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #38
Gemini John

We built our own brackets from the ACE stuff and installed them on the front of the unit, like the single valve. NO one at ACE sent us pictures of the rear install so we didn't know where to put them. Took some trial and error (flex) to make them right, but now the ride is perfect, especially towing 7000+ 28 foot trailer. Ours is closer to the centerline than the pictures you provided but the ride after a small trailer height adjustment were spot on. Rides like a 1/2 mil unit, only paid $125 new. It takes time, but it's worth it. Too bad Goofstream can't support us correctly. great rig, just refinements to make it right Just my 2c HJ
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #39
steve.k

Well guys just home from a 1367 mile run with new susp. and shocks!Wow what a difference in ride for sure I beleive the tipping was in my valve settings but I'll adjust it a little bit later.On the mountain roads in BC the rig was alittle tippy one way around corners??The kids and wife slept like babies in coach as I put on miles!!Good Times
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #40
dsomonster

Great News!