Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #121
11B

David B, I have read of all your trails and tribulations since you first showed up on this Board. Trust me. I have felt your pain with each trial and have admired the way you have got what you wanted done with style and class rather than just cry like others.

I am fairly reserved in my posts here only because I am one of the people that bought GS from a great dealer and have never had a problem with the factory for any "covered" repairs or directions as to who to contact to help with a component problems.

Its a great pleasure to see all the new poster on this board and the way they go about getting things done rather than to just bitch about the factory support. I would hope that the factory would take the time to look in on the board from time to time and see that " a perceived image" can change and work to their advantage.

I like you Owen my own company and believe that my customers on;y expect three things from me "Service, Quality Products and last but not least Price". I think that because of buyers like you and the rest of the good folks that post here GS is learning that in today's market place the third option above is becoming far less important then the first two.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #122
David Bott

"I have felt your pain with each trial and have admired the way you have got what you wanted done with style and class rather than just cry like others. "

Well thank you kindly. Once you get someone upset at you by saying something hurtful, you really never can recover and they are less willing to help you.

I have had the opposite happen too...were I was being too nice and it seemed as if they felt that, well, seeing I am not upset, no real need to take action. Very strange indeed.

We did go though a lot, in the end, to us, GS came through. Would it have been differnt with another manufacturer? Maybe, maybe not. Would I have had issues with another manufacturers coach, sure! To what end, unclear as every coach will have some level of issue. (So I was told when this all started and now believe. I could not think it could be so true! After all, you pay $XXXXXXX for these coaches...they have to be all built great.)

I also wish that GS would take more of an active roll on-line. It would only be a solid benefit to the lines and their success. Alas, even talking to Brian Shea, it seemed that it did not get to that point after I thought what I made was a compelling reason for it. After all, I know on-line communities, I know what works and does not when it comes to helping or hurting ones image on-line.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #123
gsadmin

David, you have definitely gone through a lot and I would say you many times more patient than a great deal of GS customers.

The reason this site exists is purely because I saw the need and GS did not.

GS, like many manufacturers do not have the stomach for anything but praise and cannot see how much value there is in a community. Firstly, because if someone is unfairly treating the manufacturer, they will come to the aid of the manufacturer if...Secondly, they deal with their issues and turn lemons into lemonade. People KNOW that companies are not perfect. What they also KNOW is that the good companies can be discerned from the bad by seeing how they deal with a problem in their product.

Many old-school business people will NEVER get it. They are stuck in the dark ages where you simply buy a bigger closet when the skeletons stack up.

Many on this board have asked very fair questions from GS. Specific questions about their coach as well as requesting mere documentation on their product.

A couple of years ago if you told me that after thousands of posts, GS did not assign one or two people to respond to issues here in the forum I would have thought you were insane.

Let's continue helping each other and some day maybe GS will become more open to their owners.

Thanks again David, this is a great thread.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #124
davidahn

DB, you're absolutely right, you catch more flies with honey. Most people simply DON'T GET IT, thinking yelling and bitching is going to get people And it looks like you've caught some flies finally after all your trials.

GSadmin, thanks for this site! And you're absolutely right. I can't believe Gulfstream hasn't had even an intermittent presence here, especially in this economy! The last thing I want to do in my free time is work, so I kinda get it, but this is economy is a great opportunity. In a collapsing market, you can grab market share from failing companies, but only by trying harder, doing it better than the other companies, not by sitting around wishing.

David

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #125
RayChez1

I would have to say that YES they all have what they call shake down repairs. What I done when I bought my coach was to write down everything you find wrong with the coach. Call the dealer up and tell him you have a list of what needs adjustment or repaired. In my case the dealer was very cooperative and I took it in and I have not had any major problems with my Gulfstream coach since I bought it in 2003 brand new. But you can go to other forums and everybody has had some problems with quality control. The only people that will not admit to having problems are the Newmar folks, but I have friends that have them and they have the same problems every other company has. Newmar owners believe it is sacraliges to say anything in public about their coaches and get very upset if they mention something wrong with them.
While Gulfstream owners go around from forum to forum advertising theri problems. It is just not right. Keep the problems right here in the Gulfstream forum.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #126
David Bott

"While Gulfstream owners go around from forum to forum advertising theri problems. It is just not right"

Well, if Gulf Stream would take an interest in helping their owners with on-line questions, that could change. The issue is that people feel like they are not getting listened or taken seriously so they complain to whomever will listen, site after site, after site. This hurts no matter what.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #127
davidahn

Default Communication

I'm a physician, and they say once a bad outcome happens, most physicians tend to avoid the patient or family. But studies show that the more you communicate and show compassion, the less likely patients are to seek legal action.

People want to know that they matter, and that they're being heard. And some companies' customer service reps have better interpersonal skills than others', while some companies simply want to avoid confrontation. These companies will get WAY fewer word-of-mouth referrals, which is the bread and butter of ANY high-end business involving discretionary spending.

David

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #128
David Bott

Well, as of last Sunday the 28th, has already been two years we have had the 2008 GS Tour Master. After a cross country trip from Upstate New York to California that started last November, we actually ended up in the same RV park in Ft. Pierce Florida that was the first stop me made. Funny thing is, it was the same day, 2 years later we rolled in. We will not be back home still until the end of April.

So, hows it been? We love being in a coach! We love meeting other fine people with the like interest! We love being able to wake up in the morning and know we are moving to see something new! We are even looking to purchase a RV condo lot in Silver Springs Florida!

The Tour Master has been a fine coach once we made the changes to make it our own and got the "bugs" out. Seeing have done so much with it, we will hang on to it for a few more years at least before we look to make a change to another coach. But then again, we do have have this now setup for our needs so any change means we sort of start over. Another adventure!

All in all, these last two years, except for the issues and frustration noted in this thread, we would not give back. Then again, even the times we had issues and frustration, we were able to meet some great people that we have not only learned from, but became friends with, and have traveled with.

From being new to this life style 2 years ago, to planning a theme cruise for the industry in general, it has been quite a "ride". Thanks all for being a part of it.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #129
davidahn

Default Congrats!

David, congrats on your 2nd anniversary. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've shelved my RV plans for now, but hope to revisit this decision in 1-2 years. I'm grateful to you and all the others who have shared your insights, experiences, and perspectives.

Keep on truckin'!

David

Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #130
RayChez1

Default Re: Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn
David, congrats on your 2nd anniversary. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've shelved my RV plans for now, but hope to revisit this decision in 1-2 years. I'm grateful to you and all the others who have shared your insights, experiences, and perspectives.

Keep on truckin'!

David
Davidahn, I am just curious as to what coach brand did you finally end up with. I know you mentioned three coaches. The Constellation, Essex and the Travel Supreme.
I was also very interested on the Constellation, but I never got to see one. I just read about them, but never seen one.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #131
RayChez1

David Bott, congratulations on your second year with your TourMaster. I know we all get a little concerned when we first buy a new coach because I believe they all have some shake down issues at first. We had a few also when we first bought the Scenic Cruiser. But after we weeded them out, it has been a perfect coach. We bought ours in 2003 and the last six years have been trouble free with the exception of a fuel pump that went bad and the extended warranty took care of that. But the coach itself has been a great coach.
What really surprises me is that I never had any problems with Gulf Stream getting issues taken care off, yet I read on some forums that some RVers can't even contact them. Maybe when the economy took a dump all companies were a little hesitant on their responsiblilties.
But I am glad that you have had minor issues as of late and that is great to hear.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #132
David Bott

Hey Ray...

He said "I've shelved my RV plans for now, but hope to revisit this decision in 1-2 years" so we still have time to work on him. LOL (Kidding)

Gulf Stream has done right by us, but I am sorry to say I run into way to may GS owners that do not say the same. It really is sad to hear. Unlike when I have talked to owners of "T" products, I have yet to hear one bad thing about service. (Being nice by saying T vs the name.) It is conversations like that that make me want to look at that line closer when the time comes. GS makes a fine product at the right price point and value for the dollar, when they are not having issues with production. They would go a lot further with future sales if they had the right word of mouth that will actually build the company further vs hampering it.

We are proud of our coach and love it when someone comes up and says "Nice coach" with the next words of "Who make that?". Once I say GS, it seems the tone kind of changes at times. Or they say, "Really? Never knew they did such a coach." To which I say, it is a special club.

Take care
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #133
RayChez1

I know exactly where you are coming from when you mention who the manufacture is. But I think this is all caused by another forum participants on RV.NET. That forum is controlled by a few Newmar owners and they have great battles with the Tiffin owners as to which is better then the other. Lot of kid stuff as far as I am concerned. But the thing is that they really bash other brands like GS, Fleetwood, etc etc.
But I can't complain about the GS that I have. My wife and I really like the coach and it gives us a smooth ride with very few problems. Glad to read that you guys are also happy with your coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #134
Big Al - Boston

Im looking at a 2005 SunVoyager SE 29 ft with 7K miles. I'm new at RVs so I need some help. The RV looks very clean and seems to run well with the Ford V-10. What should I be looking at? It has the original tires, they look good, no cracking, but being 5 years old are they an issue? How many MPGs could I expect if I don't drive it like a race car? What systems are most vulnerable on a 5 year old RV? What about extended warranties?

Any help will be VERY appreciated
Big Al - Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #135
David Bott

You would be better off posting this in a new thread.

Welcome to the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al - Boston
Im looking at a 2005 SunVoyager SE 29 ft with 7K miles. I'm new at RVs so I need some help. The RV looks very clean and seems to run well with the Ford V-10. What should I be looking at? It has the original tires, they look good, no cracking, but being 5 years old are they an issue? How many MPGs could I expect if I don't drive it like a race car? What systems are most vulnerable on a 5 year old RV? What about extended warranties?

Any help will be VERY appreciated
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #136
David Bott

Hi All...

Just wanted to give an update to our TM saga.

All is going very well with one exception we had during our winter 5 month trip. The floor in the bedroom dry rotten out. Yes, you read that right. It seems a seal was missed on the bottom of the slide on the passenger side, at least that is what I was told, and water had gotten in and did it's thing over time.

Well, GS did step up and handled the issue and we are pleased with the result.

We recently got back from the RVFest with other Gulf Streamers. While in Goshen we went over Focal Woodworking in Nappinee and had some interior upgrades done. Please see our travel site below for current updates.

Take care, keep safe, and happy travels.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #137
RJ82much

David & Brenda,

I just viewed your interior upgrade report on your website. AWESOME - AWESOME - AWESOME. The valences, the tables, all the touches.

I have tried to design, purchase, get ideas for a table between our driver's and passenger seats. Nothing seems quite right. GS ignored my request for doors in the front overhead where the analog TV was. I was going to use the space for storage and locate our flat screen on the mirrored shelf under the entertainment center. Instead, I went to plan B and installed the flat screen back in the overhead.

I just haven't been able to make our coach as comfy & homey as what you have done. NICE JOB!!!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote