Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #41
Texas TC

Sorry for your unforeseen complications. My very, very early 2008 went on without a hitch. Mine is a 6331 so there might be a difference in the positioning of the levelers but I sure don't know why. Mine was held up by jack stands at International while the installation was going on. It made me a little nervous but the technicians seemed to be fine with it.

I don't see why your installers did not just reposition the levelers and continue the installation. The good thing about these Power Gear levelers are they are electric, no hydraulics to reroute, just a few wires.

I was a little nervous when you had the scheduled work backing up to your business trip. Anytime I have major work done, it always seems to take a little longer than anticipated. With mine, the work went on within the scheduled amount of time but the equipment came in two seperate shipments which threw them a day late getting started. There always seems to be something.

Good luck with getting the equipment installed. If yours rides and drives like mine, you will soon forget about the hassle you had getting the installation done. You will have a hard time getting the smile off your face long enough to be frustrated!

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #42
nailerman

I scheduled the installation a month ago when the kit arrived. Fortunately the nature of my business is that when a customer or potential says jump I am one of the few left that will. With today's economy, buyers are few and far between have been for quite a while. Crenshaws fortunately for them is very busy and I had to pick a time. Everything just hit at once. I heard everyone on here say two days or less, so I naturally estimated two days. I was supposed to be in Tennessee last week before the work hence plenty of room; but the floods got in the way. We are driving my Murano instead. It is that I would rather travel by RV and am excited to try the air ride.

Crenshaws did not look at the job before hand, though I took t"Bessie" to them early on. So the pressure is on them. I am anxious to see what their meter will say. Also Crenshaws used to be and just reinstated their being a dealer for ACE.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Will advise about the smile.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #43
cd6400

Hi folks. Amongst the great discussion on the air ride systems, I noticed that some of you mentioned the position and subsequent dragging of the "skid bump" welded to the bottom of the hitch. I too am concerned about the limited amount of terrain clearance design into the RV. Doesn't seem that much variance in road surface is allowed. I noticed that the when sighting between the bottom of the skid bump and bottom of the rear tires the foot of the aft most rear leveling jack is right along that sight line meaning that the height or position of the skid bump is also set to prevent hitting the leveling jack when going over transitions. I'd be careful when changing the skid bump's location or height or you might encounter bigger problems. Obviously a larger wheel will eliminate that concern but will also reduce your ground clearance.
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
nailerman

We banged our rear levelers when we dropped into a mud puddle from pavement in Savannah, GA. Everything has stayed fine. I am pretty sure that when the levelers are reinstalled, they will go back very close to were they were. It is all the cutting I do not like. I built machinery for a living for 30 years. I will check with a laser line when I get it to make sure. My driveway is my most difficult traverse.

Since you are in Leonardtown and I keep a boat across the Potomac in the Yeocomico, I need a question to be answered. Have the city docks in Leonardtown been rebuilt? We have been wanting to cruise over, but this has been a hold up. Not really an RV subject, but a need for knowledge.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
johnf2000

Default air ride super nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmangine
johnf2000, how hard of an install was it and how much and were did you buy it thanks
The unit comes from American Carrier, ask for Phil 1-800-344-2174

The Install took 2 days with one mechanic. As with any heavy equipment, things are big, if you are not use to working with them it can slow you down. But in general the install went smooth. There is cutting and welding involved, but not very technical, just big and heavy. With two people on the job, it is much easier. I noticed issues, on this forum, of relocating the jacks. My install is on a 2008 38 foot supernova. I would imagine that depending on the model the area for install will be a little different.

Regardless if it takes 2-3 days or even 4. The air ride is the only way to own a SN. The difference is HUGE. you will like it
johnf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #46
nailerman

Have finally been advised that "Bessie" is ready. Can't get it until Monday. But a caveat was included that a spring was bad in the left front end. Taking it to IH right after pick up. At least I will be doing it with the air ride in place.

Was wondering which front end is in our SN. The light or the heavy. If it is the light it is right up to the max according to being weighed.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #47
Texas TC

According to the ISIS report on my Nova, the springs are component number 003ADB; "Parabolic, Taper Leaf, 10000-lb capacity with shock absorbers" and, yes, they are almost at capacity. With a full load of fuel and a loaded coach on my 6331 mine scaled at 9180 lb on the front axle.

Looking further, the front axle is an International I-100SG which also carries a rating of 10000 lb.

The rear suspension on my coach is rated at 18500 lb for the springs and 17500 lb for the axle. I have a lot of excess capacity back there since I weighed on the scale full of fuel, water, folks, and gear at 12420 lb.

Thus far, I have had no issues with springs on either end.

Good luck on getting the repairs done and enjoy your new ride!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #48
nailerman

On my 6362, the weight on the front axle is 8,460 lbs. and rear axle is 13,200 lbs. This is full fuel (72 gallons), no water in any tank and moderately loaded for travel. Plan on weighing with water tank up and traveling necessities to see where I am. Though I do not think I have ever approached gross on either axle, even with my fat ass in the cab. Usually take partial water except to known dry camping.

As to the front left spring, could be a flaw in the spring itself. This happens. I just hope IH will cover under warranty, though I have Good Sam Extended Coverage as well.

Really looking forward to coming on here Monday and saying nothing but good about the Air Ride. Possible trip to Ontario week after next. Good way to break it in.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #49
Texas TC

nailerman,

Does your coach have the single fuel tank? I have only seen two that had the 70 gallon capacity and that was way back when I first ordered my coach . They told me when I ordered my coach that it would have a single tank with 70 gallon capacity but when it arrived, it had dual 70 gallon tanks. I am really glad it does for the distance I can travel between fuel stops.

Ironically, the reasoning for telling me that I could only have a single tank was not to overload the front springs and axle. I guess somewhere in the chassis ordering and delivery process, they figured that the weight of the extra fuel tank did not exceed the capacity of the axle and springs.

Do you know the manufacture date of your chassis? Mine was ordered by GS on 9/22/06 build date was 2/2/2007 and it was delivered to GS on 3/30/07. I received my coach completed at the end of May 2007.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #50
nailerman

Yep a Single 70 gallon Fuel Tank.

IH Certificate of Origin Date is 11/17/2006 and Goofstream's is 02/20/2007. The dealer got it April 7, 2007. I got Bessie May 9, 2008.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #51
nailerman

I have been so busy getting ready for the biggest machinery show we do that I have not really thought too much about how the air ride turned out.

The ride is much improved. It is a real difference, but I have not had too many miles to fully appreciate it. I know I will.

A couple of problems have arisen though. Now in Forth gear between 35 and 42 MPH, the transmission or drive line is raising Cain. Also while doing the conversion, Crenshaw found that the leaf springs on the left front have gone flat. IH is going to be working on that Monday. But I am just out of warrantee. Now we will see how good the Good Sam Extended Warrantee is. I am going to have IH inspect the drive line as well. The last thing is that there is a slow leak causing the air compressor to come on more than I would expect. The air leaks out of the system sitting in the driveway. I am glad I have a manual cut off switch for the compressor. Will be putting a relay in that line with a toggle switch and a pilot light as well to be sure the compressor does not kill the chassis batteries. I am going to try to get underneath to have a look on Sunday and spray soapy water on the new connections. I already had a five gallon air tank on board and added a 2.5 in the back so as not to tax the compressor. But if a fitting is not tight, there goes the air.

Once I get it smoothed out, I think the change will be worth the investment.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #52
Texas TC

The ACE suspension is not a closed air system and adds air to the bags and releases air from the system as required to maintain the air ride. My compressor is wired to the ignition switch. It does, by design, leak down when the ignition is turned off (like on my storage pad) but quickly fills and shuts off when I turn on the switch to start the coach.

Good luck with your other issues. I hope your extended warranty works out for you. I have used my Interstate Star extended warranty several times including at the International dealer and have had great success.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #53
nailerman

Well we got there. The ACE Air Ride is a lot better. Replacing the Flat Spring set in the front end improved that also. I am beside myself. These ACE Units should have been on the vehicle from the start.

Only concern is that when Crenshaw reinstalled the levelers, one is not square with the coach, so back it goes. Oh well!

I am now trying to find somewhere to get a custom switch panel made for the blank knockout in the dash. Any thoughts.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #54
Texas TC

I was worrying about you since you had not posted for a few days. Glad you got your spring issue resolved. Hopefully, the jack issue is a simple adjustment. Those things should bolt on so the "fix" should be quick and simple.

The more you drive with the ACE, the more you will appreciate it. I agree that some sort of air suspension should have come from GS. I told one of the VP's that and he said they were trying to keep the price point low. I figured buying in quantity, the price to add air would not have been that out of line. Besides, when you spend this much on a coach, what's a few thousand more to get it right?

Speaking of switches. I have thought several times over the years that I wish the light switches and heated mirror switch was on the right side where we have a blank. It would be much more accessible it seems to me than fumbling around under the steering wheel searching for the right switch. I invariably change the dash lighting rather than turning the lights on/off or heating the mirrors. I have not seen any custom switches or housings for our units. Let us know if you come up with something. I might be interested also.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #55
steve.k

Default air ride

I'm new to this site and also bought a 08 supernova last spring,it had 3000 miles on it when we got it.Are furthest trip so far was from Red Deer area to Vancouver BC we did notice the ride was a little bumpier as the water tank got lower,soI to would be interested in the Ace Suspension,Ithink that would really help this unit,we received alot of copliments on our rig as not many are in this area yet,I beleive it is the 6331 platform.Also have any of you chipped the engines I would like to have a little extra as we do pull a 18ft enclosed trailer with Quads and bikes.The power is not to bad when not towing as I did out pull the Greyhounds on the Coquihalla pass which is about a 10 mile pull!
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #56
steve.k

Default The floor plan is

I was wrong the floor plan is 6372
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #57
Texas TC

I do have the 6331 and only pull a 2007 2 door Jeep Wrangler so I have not seen the absolute need for any additional power. Mine pulls all the hills around Flagstaff Arizona just fine and that is the only hills I have had need to pull. Our kids live in Arizona so we go that way quite often.

Below is the link to a power booster unit that several folks have tried and seem to like:

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/ts-pe ... ce/mp8.htm

Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 AM   #58
Nanaeve

Default International Chassis 6340 Performance and Battery Problem.

After having some issues with "turbo farts" on our 3 week trip to No. Arizonia and So. Colorado to see the cliff dwellings, while International was looking it over they updated the engine controller with Rev 124 or 125, from 74. Where was all the power that was released. My wife followed me home, about 45 miles, she said I was driving like a sportscar and the difference is night and day. It really moves now. I too was thinking about a chip, but the way it now performs has changed my mind. Now, if my 6 month old chassis batteries would hold a charge well enough to start the unit longer then 2 days I'd be happy. I'm going to take them back, something has happened as they started it up fine after a 3 month sitting,but now I have to run a battery charger from the generator to get them to start the unit. Any ideas?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #59
kart74

We have had our Supernova since the Endura we had was in Nappannee for the tornado a couple years back. Hence no more Endura. Now I have read about everyone's rough ride and everything but hasn't anyone had anything fall apart? My unit rides so hard the shower door is constantly breaking, all the screws around the cap sheared off, the bedroom tv fell inside the cabinet, the back end caps around the sides have both cracked, I have to keep towels under the plate in the microwave and under the covers on the stove or they bounce off on the floor, the mirrors in the bedroom closet doors are coming apart and on and on. Did any of you have these issues before putting on the air ride? I did have International install shocks in the rear to no avail. Would the air ride actually help me or do I have the unit from you know where? It is going to cost Gulfstream more money to keep repairing it than replacing it. Where around Michigan could I get these air bags put on? Did International or Gulfstream contribute to the cost being they know it was a problem or they wouldn't have beefed up the chassis and added the bags to the new models. I need help badly. My hubby had a stroke a year ago so all this stuff has fallen on my shoulders to figure out. All he says is go take and put it on Gulfstream's front porch and be done with it.

So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Janice
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #60
Texas TC

Sorry to hear about your husbands stroke. I seem to remember following your story when you posted a few years ago about your coach being destroyed during the storms in Napanee.

I never had anything break in the rear of the coach but the bounce and jar was severe. I paid for the installation of my ACE suspension. GS management originally did not order the more expensive air ride chassis for the SuperNova or Endura with the International platform due to cost considerations. They were shooting for a lower price point to the customer on a class 6 chassis and went with the spring assembly for the rear suspension. That is what one of the VP's told me.

You will certainly enjoy the ride and drive of your coach if you install the air suspension system. I suggest you call the manufacturer of the air equipment and ask if there is an installer in your area. I think you will be pleased with the results if you decide to have it installed. Their information follows:

American Carrier Equipment, Inc.
2285 E. Date Ave., Fresno, CA. 93706
1-800-344-2174; 559/442-1500