Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
RinconVTR

Default TV mounting in 23BHD Visa

I see the little sticker on the wall of the bedroom "TV MOUNT LOCATION", but it doesnt feel any stronger than other areas of the wall, which are foam. May be there is a backing, but how big is it? Where is it exactly? Can anyone confirm wall mounting in this location is ok? And how about other areas, like in the back area where the other jack is. Has anyone mounted a TV to the wall?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
toaobigal

Default Re: TV mounting in 23BHD Visa

I did mount my TV on the wall (where the sticker is) and it doesn't feel very solid and my TV is only a 19'' flatscreen. I have the ERD and in my trailer the TV is either on the wall in the bedroom or in the kitchen right by the entrance. It feels so flimsy that I remove the TV when we're traveling. I'll have to figure something to make it feel sturdier because I may get a bigger TV.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
RinconVTR

I emailed Gulfstream for some direction but I'm also consdiering high stregth adhesive. I'm talking about stuff that wont come off, which is similar to putting a bunch of holes on the wall I guess.

I have also pushed my dealer to contact Gulfstream too. They (the dealer) first had said use the position marked because it has a backing plate. I asked, how big is the plate, what is it made of, and is the sticker directly on top of it? Long pause..."Good questions." he says.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
RinconVTR

From Gulfstream (quick response! VERY NICE!):

EDIT: REMOVED DUE TO INACCURATE INFO from Gulfstream. Corrections from OEM are below.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
KristinU

Interesting response from Gulf Stream on the backer board at the sticker location. Like I said in my response on the other thread, we just looked for a stud, which was a few inches over from the sticker. I guess I'd still go for the stud over the backer board anyway. Ilk take a pix of our location and bracket next weekend.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
RinconVTR

Well, the response from Gulfstream played out to be VERY inaccurate. I replied with my findings and I hope to get a response if I didnt piss the guy off for questioning him. However, I found no plywood between studs OR near the sticker location. I found a stud near the cabinets (too close for me I thought) and a wide solid "thing" which turned out to be a METAL plate following the left edge of the window to the roof. I mounted to this metal plate with 4 screws, and while its solid, I still question it. My dealer has the trailer not and will also research this a bit.

While on the TV topic, I also added a splitter behind and within the area of the microwave and ran the cable under the small table seat to exit very near the current outdoor outlet. This will be for watching TV outside, on the TV mount adhered to the outside. Yeah...it took some guts to do this on a new trailer!

The TV's are 22" JVC DVD combos. 8lbs each. Only 2lbs more than 19" options.

These are "OEM" connections found, AS-IS. Under the Microwave area.

Showing Micro removed and panel cut to add splitter.

Small table seat stoage area, showing OEM outdoor outlet. The new split cable will exit to the right of the outlet.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
RinconVTR

CORRECTIONS FROM Gulfstream:

"I went over all your information with our Service Shop Foreman. The outer wall, the sidewall of the coach is interior paneling, 1" foam, luan substrate, and the fiberglass. The outer wall is not built on 16" centers, only interior partition walls. He confirmed that the 1" screw would work because of the thickness of all mentioned plus the bracket itself. We do not mount the TV bracket on the outer sidewalls. If you can access our internet website, check the floorplan for this model, it shows two places to mount the bracket in the bedroom area. Also, no wiring diagrams are available. The information given is direct from our Shop Foreman (Service)."

They confirmed in another email the walls have metal studs...NOT wood! So, my mount is on a metal stud. Perfect.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
KristinU

Well, huh, that's interesting!

We must have mounted to the wood you found close to the cabinet. And that works for us since we angle the TV when we do have it up, and like I said we travel with it unmounted. So I guess since we found wood (ours is definitely mounted to wood per our multi-scanner studfinder) and we don't put any sort of motion stress on it, I'm OK with where we're at. Very intersting info though. I'd be really irritated if I didn't know any better and mounted where the sticker was...then again if I didn't know any better I'd probably not be mounting my own TV and having someone else do it who would presumably know better...right???

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU
Well, huh, that's interesting!

We must have mounted to the wood you found close to the cabinet. And that works for us since we angle the TV when we do have it up, and like I said we travel with it unmounted. So I guess since we found wood (ours is definitely mounted to wood per our multi-scanner studfinder) and we don't put any sort of motion stress on it, I'm OK with where we're at. Very intersting info though. I'd be really irritated if I didn't know any better and mounted where the sticker was...then again if I didn't know any better I'd probably not be mounting my own TV and having someone else do it who would presumably know better...right???
One would think. However my dealer said to put the TV mount right where the sticker is, and also said there is a backer board!!! I sent them the email thread I had with Gulfstream and they were shocked!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Hummingbird

Default Re: TV mounting in 32' Cavalier

I just bought a 2006 32' Gulf Stream. I am so glad I read this thread. This is my first big trailor. I have a little Coleman pop-up, but I'm thinking I'll live in this while my house is on the market, and maybe be a campground host, so I need something big enough to live in for months at a time. I was going to just put my regular Flatscreen up, but now I read you have to buy special RV TV's. I'f I just secured my flatscreen in the back of my 4-Runner, and carried it into the bedroom and sat it on the bedroom tv spot, would that be ok? Thanks!
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
KristinU

Here is where we mounted ours. Really close to the cabinet end it works fine for us. The 3m clip below is for cord management.

Hummingbird, we don't have a special TV or anything (cheapest we could find actually), and we wrap it in some polar fleece and put it under the dinette seat for travel. No problems so far.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
RinconVTR

No special TV's for RV's. Just watch the weight of the TV. I think over 10lbs is too much unless you have a unit that can handle/hold something bigger. Most 24" LED HDTV I found were under 10 and the 22" combo I have is just under 8.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Marvin

We have a 2012 Visa 23RBK. Sticker on wall said place TV Mount here so I went to screw mount in place and the lights and radio went out, fuse blew. Cut a hole in cabinet wall to find Gulf Stream ran the wires where they said to place TV Mount.

We do not leave the TV on the wall when we travel, it is placed on the bed and we have not had a problem with it moving.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
We have a 2012 Visa 23RBK. Sticker on wall said place TV Mount here so I went to screw mount in place and the lights and radio went out, fuse blew. Cut a hole in cabinet wall to find Gulf Stream ran the wires where they said to place TV Mount.

We do not leave the TV on the wall when we travel, it is placed on the bed and we have not had a problem with it moving.
The sticker the place should actually read "DO NOT PLACE TV HERE"
Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
KristinU

OK, so we were out this past weekend and it was chilly and damp overnight, so we woke up to some condensation on the camper which clearly outlined the inner structure...lo and behold, look at this big old square in the area in question:
I still have no clue what it actually is, but I found it interesting after this thread!

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
RinconVTR

Quote:
OK, so we were out this past weekend and it was chilly and damp overnight, so we woke up to some condensation on the camper which clearly outlined the inner structure...lo and behold, look at this big old square in the area in question:
I still have no clue what it actually is, but I found it interesting after this thread!

NICE FIND! Thats the "backing plate"!!! But confirmed not to be the mounting plate. I can tell because the condensation only forms where the is a big temperature difference, in this case where there is metal frame work directly against the thin outer fiberglass skin.

IMO, that plate is there so you dont puncture thru the outer wall when mounting the TV. So, the sticker is not inaccurate after all, but how they want you to mount a TV to anything but the metal studs is still very questionable.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
UL2FLY

Quote:
I know this may be a little off topic, but what I'm seeing is minimal structure on the alumium frame. I've watched the campkins rv factory tour on youtube. It was nice to see some of the construction, but does anyone have pictures on a non-laminated wall setion.

p.s don't think that I am knocking this unit, as I plan to purchase one sometime this year! I just love to learn as much as possible while we are shopping.
UL2FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL2FLY

I know this may be a little off topic, but what I'm seeing is minimal structure on the alumium frame. I've watched the campkins rv factory tour on youtube. It was nice to see some of the construction, but does anyone have pictures on a non-laminated wall setion.

p.s don't think that I am knocking this unit, as I plan to purchase one sometime this year! I just love to learn as much as possible while we are shopping.
The construction method and materials used to create the walls does not require an extensive metal frame structure. They are extremely strong and only require actual metal for specific areas, much like composite aircraft!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
charby

I see the majority are removing the TV's while travelling, which is what I would perfer since the Visa does not look to have a stable area, and reason why I have not installed a bracket yet. I had a bracket in my previous trailer, and made up some plastic thumb screws to match TV holes for mounting. It was easier than a screw driver everytime. How is everyone attaching and removing from the bracket? Is there TV mounts where you can quickly connect and remove plate to bracket?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by charby
I see the majority are removing the TV's while travelling, which is what I would perfer since the Visa does not look to have a stable area, and reason why I have not installed a bracket yet. I had a bracket in my previous trailer, and made up some plastic thumb screws to match TV holes for mounting. It was easier than a screw driver evertime. How is everyone attaching and removing from the bracket? Is there TV mounts where you can quickly connect and remove plate to bracket?
I bought mounts that allow the TV to be easily removed from the bracket. I made things even better by replacing the screws that secure it on the mount, with thumb screws, so no tools are required.