Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
vmcjr1

Default clogged air filter on Cresendo 2005 Cat C7 engine

I own a gulfstream Cresendo 2005 on a freighliner chasis with a catapillar C-7 engine diesel 350 hp
since brand new the air filter sensor shows clogged, and when the filter was just replaced new, then after just driving about 170 miles to 360 miles then it will show that is was time to replace it, I ended up pulling the filter to see myself and it had a lot of dust, this is so ridiculous that I have to spend about $90 to replace a air filter that gets clogged fast, it is of a brand named Ecco and its a canister, between frightliner and Gulfstream blaming themself for the issue , I ended up always paying for the repair and just to end up with the same issue . They designed the air intake to be taken at the rear almost at the top of the roof of the unit , and at the rear I noticed that it gets dirty , the walls of the motorhome at the rear, so I can inmagine that more dusts collects there, so I have seen other motorhomes that have rear engines and the air intake is placed on the rear on the driver side of the motorhome, looks like a square vent , is there anyone that has done a conversion to fix this problem, I am affarid just to buy the more expensive filter just to end up with the same issue, can anyone help and let me know please.

thanks
Victor
vmcjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: clogged air filter on Cresendo 2005 Cat C7 engine

You must drive on a lot of dirt roads. I never drive on dirt roads, and since 2003 I have replaced the air cleaner twice. And really they were not that dirty. I think what you have seen on the side is the radiator, not the intake vent for the air cleaner. 99 percent are up high on the rear end cap. My vacuum gauge has never worked whether filter is new or dirty. It goes up as soon as I accelerate. Caterpillar told me that they are not reliable.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Frutza

I also have an 05 Crescendo 8356, when I looked up the air filter I noticed it was only rated at 300hp?, It also went high on the indicator after installing a new filter, not all the way into the red, but when I was looking them up there was a larger one rated for 350-400hp, I figured it must have more flow and I would need new brackets but i am going to try it next change,dont know if thats your fix or not, but I'm gonna try it,
Good luck
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
melmapop

I have the same problem on my 40ft GS yellow stone country club. I have the Mercedes 330 hp and have replaced the filter twice in the last year. I have not driven on any dirt roads, except an occasional gravel road to park in a RV park. I would be very interested to hear what the solution to the problem ends up being. I intend to remove my new filter and check the numbers and see if I can find the problem. I asked my local freight liner mechanic and his answer was another filter. Thanks, Steve Presgraves.
melmapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

On our 2004 40ft Yellowstone Country Club with the C7 Cat and I have never had to replace the air filter as yet in a little over 20k miles.

The air intake is located at the rear, at the top middle at the roof line. I do have a rear mud flap/stone guard, so I don't know if maybe this helps keep the dust away
from the rear so that dust/dirt doesn't get sucked in or not?

In the picture below you can see the air intake at the top middle and the rear stoneguard.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
GULFSTREAMER37

I believe the restriction gauges are a bit over sensitive, Installed a brand new filter reset the sensor, went around the block and check it and it was in the same place it was before I reset it and changed the filter.

I just picked up a 2007 Gulfstream Crescendo 37 FRED 300 cummins allison combo on the Freightliner chassis only 7K on the Odometer.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
melmapop

Thanks for the quick responses. I will be removing and checking my intake system as well as the numbers on the filter. My next step will be to replace the suction gauge. My intake is also high on the left (driver) side of the coach. I do not have the mud flap other than the factory flap (which is useless for this purpose).
melmapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
ccash

Hello All!

Can anyone tell me the brand and part number you used for your air filter on a Crescendo with a C7 Cat? I couldn't see any numbers on the filter itself without taking it off, and I'd like to have the new one in hand before I tackle that. I called Freightliner yesterday and asked, but I've been unable to locate anything with the part number they gave me. My unit is a 2005 8408.

Thanks!
ccash
ccash is offline   Reply With Quote